Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used this touch up paint I bought on eBay to repair my wife’s Model 3 Wheels twice. Very easy. I’m a novice.
Wheel Touch Up Paint for Tesla Sonic Carbon 21 19 Gray Touchup Model S X 3 Pen | eBay
View attachment 336595
I recommend you use a multi tool to smooth out the texture.
Oscillating Multi-Tool
View attachment 336593
Doesn’t have to be perfect, just not as noticeable. It’s likely to happen again.
Here’s the touched up wheel.
View attachment 336594
Do you have any tips on how to blend the color? I'm using the same pen and the color is darker than I would like it to be. Am I just putting on too much paint at once?

Do other cars have tires that extend to protect the wheels? I got curb rash on my Ford Explorer because I rubbed a curb. Just wondering how this is a design flaw?

Depends on the car/rim, some do. Also the bigger the wheel the higher the chance, since there's less tire/sidewall you have to scrape before you get to the rim itself. I've curbed my left rear tire multiple times and the touchup paint does an OK job. It's a 9-footer I'd say. When it's dirty you can't even really tell...

Depends on the car/rim, some do. Also the bigger the wheel the higher the chance, since there's less tire/sidewall you have to scrape before you get to the rim itself. I've curbed my left rear tire multiple times and the touchup paint does an OK job. It's a 9-footer I'd say. When it's dirty you can't even really tell...
Yeah I get that. I just don’t understand how, on a car like a Tesla, it’s a design problem. Seems like you should just avoid curbs. Even on my Ford Explorer it suffered curb rash. My fault, not the design.

Reactions: Hans L
Yeah I get that. I just don’t understand how, on a car like a Tesla, it’s a design problem. Seems like you should just avoid curbs. Even on my Ford Explorer it suffered curb rash. My fault, not the design.
Yeah, for sure. Although I guess there's a few people who have gotten curbed rims from autopark... I'd be miffed about that.

Maybe people are used to driving their Civic/Camry with the tiny 15" wheels or whatever. Not much chance of curbing the rim itself there :D That's supposed to be one of the highest trade ins for the Model 3, right?

Yeah, for sure. Although I guess there's a few people who have gotten curbed rims from autopark... I'd be miffed about that.

Maybe people are used to driving their Civic/Camry with the tiny 15" wheels or whatever. Not much chance of curbing the rim itself there :D That's supposed to be one of the highest trade ins for the Model 3, right?
Ah got it, yeah that would suck. I’m super careful when parking next to a curb. I dread the day I curb rash my aero’s.

Slightly off topic: it would be so easy for architects to use curb stones that are rounded or angled. It seems that parking lot design is the least favorite assignment left for the non-talented in many instances. 90 degree angled spots also crack me up: can the rear axle in architects’ cars hopp, or do they come to work with a forklift?

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyErik
Prevention is the best medicine.

This is a video of my hidden licence plate demo, however it shows my rim ringz. These things have been great in saving my rims. I installed the white ones, however they come in many colors.

Theres a bit of work to install them, however they saved my rims many times.

• Love
Reactions: Dave Mac
Slightly off topic: it would be so easy for architects to use curb stones that are rounded or angled. It seems that parking lot design is the least favorite assignment left for the non-talented in many instances. 90 degree angled spots also crack me up: can the rear axle in architects’ cars hopp, or do they come to work with a forklift?

A lot of curbs are actually angled/rounded. Also, honestly, 90 degree curbs are probably better for a lot of reasons: You can't accidently drive on the curb as easily, if it's the back you hit a nice firm stop when your wheel hits it (instead of rolling up it...), and most importantly: cheaper.

How do those work?
I'm assuming that you're quite serious as you didn't include a smiley. I also assume that you're under the age of 50 as these were popular back in the days of FULL whitewall tires. They are clamped to the wheel wells on the passenger side (normally not installed on the driver side of the vehicle) and point down and outward. When parking next to a curb, the metal hits the curb and you hear a giant scraping noise. Egro, no damage to your tires (or rims).

edit: Ah, beaten by Garlan...

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I plan to buy OEM 19s. Do they have the curb rash issue too?
Ill trade with you for 20's lol, and yes they curb
IMG_1415.jpg