Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't look like the tires stick out very far past the rim. Is that why they are so easy to curb? Generally on cars I have owned if your next to a curb and you steer into it (even while not moving) the rubber will hit first. Sounds like on the 3 if your close to the burn even just turning will curb the rim?
There is absolutely no sidewall protection. If you rub a curb at all, the wheel is scratched.

Reactions: FlyErik and qwertzy
Wheelbands, people....easy to install (compared to some other products), easy to replace when you hit a curb again...and pretty accent strip in lots of colors

Attachments

• IMG_6462.jpg
    IMG_6462.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 214
I know RIMs have some range for a particular tire size and visa versa.

Is the RIM on the wider end of the range for these tires?

I wonder if part of the Aero design (sizing) is rubber flush to RIM and flush to cover.

Is the issue primarily on the 18s?

Are folks just biffing up their covers?

I’m also bummed why no 19” for P3D-
I plan to buy OEM 19s. Do they have the curb rash issue too?

I had rash repaired on one of my rims in greater Denver area about 6-7 years ago. Guy came to my house, wet sanded the rim, applied paint that matched perfectly and then clear-coated it. You couldn't even tell anything had ever happened to it. Cost me around $90 if I remember correctly.

Do you happen to have that guy's info? I'm in the Denver area and have curbed 50% of my Model 3 rims so far...

I know RIMs have some range for a particular tire size and visa versa.

Is the RIM on the wider end of the range for these tires?

I wonder if part of the Aero design (sizing) is rubber flush to RIM and flush to cover.

Is the issue primarily on the 18s?

Are folks just biffing up their covers?

I’m also bummed why no 19” for P3D-
I plan to buy OEM 19s. Do they have the curb rash issue too?

The covers don’t stick out, the actual wheel does.