Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a similar vein, guessing a tire replacement is due?

IMG_3772.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3771.jpeg
    IMG_3771.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 141
The pictures of the two tyres that have a bit missing or cut - neither looks like it has damaged the tyre wall and the bits affected are designed to absorb the likely impacts, of course ideally it would be larger - like they used to be but modern times i guess.
The pic with the bit missing - Rirawin - wouldn't give that a second thought - its just cosmetic.

The pics from Ayushbh - that too looks cosmetic but may need to see how far it peels back to confirm it hasn't penetrated the bracing layers of the sidewall - from the pic it doesn't look like it has as there is no bulge forming (which would indicate substantial damage) and if it hasnt then just use superglue on it to repair the cosmetic effect.

The wheel touch up - I've found the correct Tesla Grey shade dries a little lighter and is very noticeable, I mixed a little of a Ford touch up paint - basalt black into the grey and gave it a good shake - its virtually perfect - you wouldn't know unless its pointed out to you, I use standard 400 grit wet and dry paper on the actual alloy to tidy it up, use wet - then a quick go over with 800 to improve it further before applying the paint.

Or just get a professional to repair it. Cost me 35 quid in Nottingham for a professional alloy place. Looks good as new after I curbed one on collection day. A whole alloy or set of alloys obviously would be more but worth it

Easier to go to a decent (ideally independent) local tyre garage and get their hands on expert advice for the cost of a bacon butty (or two) than take hands off advice from internet that might be wrong…
Absolutely good advice. Pics on the internet are not detailed enough and an inspection by a tyre expert would confirm if safe to use, the only issue is that most tyre fitters and managers of these branches know diddly squat about tyres - except how to repair and fit them, perhaps the best advice would be from an MOT examiner who will know for sure if the tyre is legal and safe, If it wouldn't pass an MOT then it needs replacing.

Easier to go to a decent (ideally independent) local tyre garage and get their hands on expert advice for the cost of a bacon butty (or two) than take hands off advice from internet that might be wrong…
You say that, but had a shiny screw dead centre of the tread and my usual place took one look at the foam inside the tyres and said “can’t be repaired, that’ll be £270 for a new one”.

Plenty of FUD associated with new things and “professionals” can come up with all sorts of crap, just like randos on the interwebs.

Came across this today. Interesting product. Anyone got experience??

Annoyingly I scraped my wheel yesterday negotiating one of the car parks at Edinburgh airport. I'm blaming park assist as I have entered that car park many times in the Tesla and never scraped them but all the bings bongs and stop messages for the front of the car caused me to be over cautious and I scraped the rear wheel turning a corner. Ironically one of the things I though was good about park assist was how it detected kerbs at the sides of the car. Ah well.

I'm (kind of) kidding as I have no one but myself to blame and I spotted another model Y near where I parked with a scrape on the same wheel. At least Mrs McChimp is happy as she was convinced she would be the first to kerb the wheels. Will definitely check out some of the options in this thread to hopefully prevent in future.

Reactions: Lord Farquad