Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning my wife told me she thinks we should just buy a car off the lot, after this weekend of "sharing" her car, I think she realized how difficult it will be going forward. My dreams of owning a tesla are slipping away. She wants me to put a list of possible cars we can test drive over the week to buy immediately, that are available locally
My wife had the exact opposite response, she told me that if we don’t get it by September that we can make it work until it comes. She also said this because we finally went for a test drive on Friday.

My wife is getting a little fed up as well. Audi took my car back in the beginning of June so we have been down to one car for over a month and a half. The wait will be worth it. Trust me, when your wife sees the prices these dealerships are asking for, she will let you wait.
We've been down to my wife's car since May when I sold my x3 to carvana.

It hasn't been a problem except for a few times and then this weekend we both had pressing things to take care of and we were having a hard time abiding by the schedule of "car share"... we almost divorced 😂 😂 😂

Luckily my brother is finance manager at a dealership which has a huge network of brands and we have other close friends and family who are GM's or Managers at various dealerships and they've all been throwing offers at us to try to get us to buy anything but tesla... so we're not worried about paying an inflated price... it all comes down to finding something we think we'll enjoy as much as the tesla.

It hasn't been a problem except for a few times and then this weekend we both had pressing things to take care of and we were having a hard time abiding by the schedule of "car share"... we almost divorced 😂 😂 😂

Luckily my brother is finance manager at a dealership which has a huge network of brands and we have other close friends and family who are GM's or Managers at various dealerships and they've all been throwing offers at us to try to get us to buy anything but tesla... so we're not worried about paying an inflated price... it all comes down to finding something we think we'll enjoy as much as the tesla.
Don't do it - hold on for a few more weeks!!

My wife had the exact opposite response, she told me that if we don’t get it by September that we can make it work until it comes. She also said this because we finally went for a test drive on Friday.
yeah my wife has an inverse reaction to cars as to purses. She will spend HOURS finding the perfect purse but when it comes to cars, she could care less. Hence why I can't get her to sell her 2015 honda accord she's had since before we got married. We are fortunate now to be able to virtually buy any car under $100k but she'd rather keep driving her honda and every time i bring up selling it I get the lazer eyes of doom from her.

Even when I took her for a test drive in the MY before we put our order in, the most I could get out of her was "yeah, it's nice"... pretty much her standard ho hum to any car. I could buy a Bentley and I'm sure she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between her honda and would react the same way "yeah, it's nice"

Last edited:
Somewhere between 1 and 1,000,000 I think last time I checked but someone can fact check me on that.
Best data would probably be the Teslike Spreadsheet. I filled out the "survey" and my Model Y data is in there Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker To me it seems like 60 days or more, especially ever since the delivery drought leading up to S plaid announcement and parts shortages.

yeah my wife has an inverse reaction to cars as to purses. She will spend HOURS finding the perfect purse but when it comes to cars, she could care less. Hence why I can't get her to sell her 2015 honda accord she's had since before we got married. We are fortunate now to be able to virtually buy any car under $100k but she'd rather keep driving her honda and every time i bring up selling it I get the lazer eyes of doom from her.

Even when I took her for a test drive in the MY before we put our order in, the most I could get out of her was "yeah, it's nice"... pretty much her standard ho hum to any car. I could buy a Bentley and I'm sure she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between her honda and would react the same way "yeah, it's nice"
Well, since convincing her to get a new car will be impossible…at least her car is a reasonably new, nice/well-built Honda. If well maintained it should serve her well for at least a couple decades. My mom has an eighteen year old Accord and it runs flawlessly (if you can look past the cosmetic wear & tear).

Well, since convincing her to get a new car will be impossible…at least her car is a reasonably new, nice/well-built Honda. If well maintained it should serve her well for at least a couple decades. My mom has an eighteen year old Accord and it runs flawlessly (if you can look past the cosmetic wear & tear).
True and her car has been super reliable for us. Maintenance is super easy, i've been handling the basics (oil/ filters/ wipers/ coolant flush/ tires) on my own.

But now that we've encountered real friction in our relationship stemming from having one car, she's really peaved and wants us to get a second car ASAP more out of convenience for her than for me to have something I like LOL. but happy wife, happy life!

I guess I just have to decide if this is a fight worth having/ a hill I'm willing to die on. She even challenged me to find a Benze/ BMW way over our tesla budget ($60k-$100k) that I'd rather have over the tesla. Those are fighting words, now that I have her approval to start test driving the higher end AMG's and M cars.

Last edited:

Dang. Usually my wife is the same way about cars. She plans on driving our 2016 Subaru Forester into the ground. But on the the test drive she was the one flooring it whenever she could and she loves the one pedal driving. When we got out of the car all she said was "I understand, now". It only took 2 years of convincing and broke down the numbers for her on what it would cost to get a new Forester and how with our solar, it drastically brings down our break even point on our return for that.

ORDER DATE: MAY 18. VIN DISPLAY AT JUL 14, EDD FROM SA: JUL 24~27, DELIVERY APPOINTMENT SET AT: JUL 27, THAT'S SO SLOW....... 2 weeks for transition?? I can't believe that.
Just be happy you have a VIN... I ordered May 18 and am in the "October" limbo after being consistently early August for the past month. I know it doesn't mean anything, but still

We've been down to one car for longer than I can remember now LOL. It was really painful at first but we live and dye by our family calendar so its been helpful to put every little thing on there like grocery shopping and such that I would have just normally done without thinking about it... keep him from scheduling showings and stuff while I am out, and I've switched to a lot more delivery services for things like groceries so I don't need to use the car as often... is it possible that we could survive indefinitely with one car? Sure but I miss the freedom of being able to run to the store when I need to vs having to plan every thing out so tightly

@ajs117 and @digitalboi I’m in the same boat. One car split between the two of us. It’s worked out somewhat fine due to working from home, but occasionally (like this week Wednesday) the stars align and both need to be in office. So I diligently tuned my ebike and going bust out 24 miles in a couple days haha

@joewithblueMY my wife is the same! Doesn’t care about cars 99% of time but loves the way a Tesla drives

My wife is the same. She only cares about her purses. A car is just something to get from point a to point b for her.

My XC90 lease ended late June and I have been sharing her CX-5. We make it work. It’s just on the smaller side since we have 2 car seats. I shopped X5, X3, Q7 and no dealers are willing to deal. There is very low inventory. I’m refuse to pay sticker for a non M BMW that I was able to get 13% off MSRP for my past 3 Bimmers.

Reactions: ajs847
In case it helps anyone...
Vin received yesterday so I called the Richmond, VA SC just now - with a list of, I'm sure annoying questions; yet he (Caleb) was patient and helpful. Delivery scheduled for 7/31...he assured me that it's solid and the VIN will not be taken away (a little paranoid after reading some of these posts). Insurance needs to be complete by 3 days before pickup. Down payment - "we'll take a personal check but prefer you do ACH xfer prior to pick up day" - so not doing a xfer prior to seeing the car but will have a cashiers check - a $30k personal check seems a bit much for them to accept.
I had ordered FSD with the car (not a smart thing to do) and wanted them to take it off so that wouldn't be part of the VA taxes and could get $ back by using CC# - they can do that but it's a configuration change so would have to pay $1500 more due to the pricing increases in the Y since I ordered...so I nixed that idea.
The EDD after I received the VIN was 7/26-8/1 - we were travelling on 7/30 so was hoping could get before then, he said earliest right now is the aforementioned 7/31 date but made a note to move delivery up if it came sooner than expected.
Interesting abt the FSD. Here’s what I got from my SA in NJ (MYLR ordered 7/5)- “You can add the Full Self Driving at any time, keep in mind, if you add it before delivery you will not pay tax on it. If you add the feature after delivery, you will have to pay tax on it! I can add it to your order now if you would like me to”

In case it helps anyone...
Vin received yesterday so I called the Richmond, VA SC just now - with a list of, I'm sure annoying questions; yet he (Caleb) was patient and helpful. Delivery scheduled for 7/31...he assured me that it's solid and the VIN will not be taken away (a little paranoid after reading some of these posts). Insurance needs to be complete by 3 days before pickup. Down payment - "we'll take a personal check but prefer you do ACH xfer prior to pick up day" - so not doing a xfer prior to seeing the car but will have a cashiers check - a $30k personal check seems a bit much for them to accept.
I had ordered FSD with the car (not a smart thing to do) and wanted them to take it off so that wouldn't be part of the VA taxes and could get $ back by using CC# - they can do that but it's a configuration change so would have to pay $1500 more due to the pricing increases in the Y since I ordered...so I nixed that idea.
The EDD after I received the VIN was 7/26-8/1 - we were travelling on 7/30 so was hoping could get before then, he said earliest right now is the aforementioned 7/31 date but made a note to move delivery up if it came sooner than expected.
Interesting abt FSD. Here’s what I heard back from my SA in NJ (MYLR ordered 7/16). “You can add the Full Self Driving at any time, keep in mind, if you add it before delivery you will not pay tax on it. If you add the feature after delivery, you will have to pay tax on it! I can add it to your order now if you would like me to!”

@ajs117 and @digitalboi I’m in the same boat. One car split between the two of us. It’s worked out somewhat fine due to working from home, but occasionally (like this week Wednesday) the stars align and both need to be in office. So I diligently tuned my ebike and going bust out 24 miles in a couple days haha

@joewithblueMY my wife is the same! Doesn’t care about cars 99% of time but loves the way a Tesla drive

I’ll probably take my onewheel. Lol.