Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't do it man! CA makes you pay sales tax if you take delivery inside the state!

CA, like MA, is in a small handful of states where regardless of your state of residency, state of vehicle registration, etc., they will apply sales tax if you take delivery of the car inside the state's borders.
Geeze!! Then you pay it again in your home state when you register?!

Reactions: hcdavis3
For me today it has been the tale of two VIN’s. Got two with 24hrs of each other. Of course I was offered the MYP first. Within two hours of me rejecting the MYP, the VIN for the LR popped up. So obviously either the SA’s or Tesla has an algorithm to get you into the most expensive car first!
It sure does feel like VIN's for June orders are starting to pick up! We must worship you as a God now that you received TWO VIN's within 24 hours. Crazy.

I think that's a dicey game. You might be able to get away with it, or you might get caught someday. Essentially you must register your car in your state of residency, and real estate ownership has nothing to do with residency. A person can own houses in all 50 states for that matter, but is legally only a resident of one state at any given time. That's the state where you reside the majority of the time, acquire your driver's license, and register to vote. Those three factors (among others) is the threshold for most states to consider you a legal resident of that state. Again, ownership of real estate is not.

Legally, you must insure and register your car within you state of residency. AD military have separate set of laws and regs regarding residency we have to follow.
I know people register their expensive toys (campers, trucks, etc) in South Dakota and Montana to avoid paying Colorado’s fees on plates. We asked our insurance guy (who is also a good friend) about this and he said if you go through the process of forming an LLC there so it’s technically a “business” vehicle, that you can do it. However, he did say that insurance could deny the claim if you were involved in an accident that the vehicle was plated in one state, and you have insurance and driver’s license from another. The whole process was complicated and ultimately not worth the hassle and risk to me. But to each their own. I have no idea how it works with a second residence

Reactions: PatrickTM
For me today it has been the tale of two VIN’s. Got two with 24hrs of each other. Of course I was offered the MYP first. Within two hours of me rejecting the MYP, the VIN for the LR popped up. So obviously either the SA’s or Tesla has an algorithm to get you into the most expensive car first!
Curious, why didn't you take the P? You didn't know the LR VIN was incoming right?

Reactions: PatrickTM
If you own the home in NJ then I don't see how it's insurance fraud. I know many people who have a house at the Jersey shore and one in PA and register their vehicles in NJ, but primarily live in PA.
You should be registering your vehicle(s) where they park 51% of the time. I'm definitely not a rule breaker, don't have the stomach for it.

I think that's a dicey game. You might be able to get away with it, or you might get caught someday. Essentially you must register your car in your state of residency, and real estate ownership has nothing to do with residency. A person can own houses in all 50 states for that matter, but is legally only a resident of one state at any given time. That's the state where you reside the majority of the time, acquire your driver's license, and register to vote. Those three factors (among others) is the threshold for most states to consider you a legal resident of that state. Again, ownership of real estate is not.

Legally, you must insure and register your car within you state of residency. AD military have separate set of laws and regs regarding residency we have to follow.
Yup!
I know people register their expensive toys (campers, trucks, etc) in South Dakota and Montana to avoid paying Colorado’s fees on plates. We asked our insurance guy (who is also a good friend) about this and he said if you go through the process of forming an LLC there so it’s technically a “business” vehicle, that you can do it. However, he did say that insurance could deny the claim if you were involved in an accident that the vehicle was plated in one state, and you have insurance and driver’s license from another. The whole process was complicated and ultimately not worth the hassle and risk to me. But to each their own. I have no idea how it works with a second residence
Yeah, that's too much trickery for me.

Have to learn to love that CO 'use' tax :)

Curious, why didn't you take the P? You didn't know the LR VIN was incoming right?
My LR order was an earlier one. The delta between the LR and MYP was $9k. Even with the Inductions and AB I will come out $5K ahead. If however I ordered now or after the price increases I would have probably kept the MYP since there is a smaller delta between the two.

With the MYP the thing that stinks if for us in the NE we have to either fork out another $2-3K for a winter tire package or at the very least $1.5K for all seasons to fit those big ass 21” Uberturbines.

Reactions: josh62294
Good, then I can use that excuse with my wife to get the MYP :D

"Sorry babe - it was the first available.." - Though it truly looks like that is the case with the EDD's being close.

Reactions: MBx4
A fun, and somewhat irrelevant, fact from our tracker graphs is that a Model Y with the configuration below is the least configured Model Y on this forum.

• MYP (performance model)
  • Red exterior
  • White interior
  • Tow hitch
  • FSD
That also happens to be the most expensive possible way to spec a Model Y! All tallied it comes to $76,290*!!!

*order, destination, and doc fees included, because I think it’s deceptive not to include it in the total “purchase price”; Aug 2021 prices

My LR order was an earlier one. The delta between the LR and MYP was $9k. Even with the Inductions and AB I will come out $5K ahead. If however I ordered now or after the price increases I would have probably kept the MYP since there is a smaller delta between the two.

With the MYP the thing that stinks if for us in the NE we have to either fork out another $2-3K for a winter tire package or at the very least $1.5K for all seasons to fit those big ass 21” Uberturbines.
I won't consider the MYP for the same reason (tires and winter). It's just too impractical.

I had the same problem. No EDD. Also, I had no SA assigned to me. The Tesla people I talked with on the phone told me this was normal, implying the people here are big fat liars. I ordered on 5/25. On 6/18 (yes, same date as your order) I ordered a demo car, sacrificing my $100 deposit. I got the car 10 days later including the six days it took to ship it from Colorado to my home town in southern New Mexico. When I ordered the car it was actually in Utah on its way to Colorado Springs.

I was looking for demo vehicles in the Colorado Springs area. Using <shift>-refresh was better than refresh alone. The cars would usually show up in batches around midnight. In theory I could save the $100 deposit for a demo car with the same specs as in my original order by contacting an SA but that required fast action by the SA I was texting which was not going to happen. The cars would all be gone before the SA would respond late the next morning.

I also lost my free 1,000 supercharger miles. So watch out for that if you decide to get a demo car.
Funny you say that because I also tried to get a demo model at end of Q2 after I ordered. I found one that matched my config and ordered right away to lock it in. I had originally only been looking at local inventory and then expanded the search nationwide, so the demo I reserved was actually in NYC.

I have family there and had been planning a visit so I figured I'd fly out and then drive it cross country back home, a nice adventure. However, I was then informed that I had to pick it up in the next 3 days, which was not going to work for me so I asked to switch it to delivery instead. At some point between when I ordered and made the request to switch to delivery, Tesla stopped allowing delivery and required local pickup (due to it being the end of quarter). So, long story long, I also lost that $100 order fee and am still waiting on my OG order.

Ominous.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 8.02.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 8.02.55 PM.png
    675.3 KB · Views: 67