Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't necessary agree with that, because if you do 5 year break downs of ICE vehicles against the Teslas, they kind of align with the mid tier vehicles in my opinion. That's just how I saw it, I compared it to a car that we would get if we didn't go electric, Subaru Forester, and the Tesla was only about 10k more for total cost after 5 years. So easy decision. I am not saying Tesla isn't better quality and isn't higher end, I just think people will be switching from ICE cars and may compare them like that. So that's why I don't compare them to luxury, I compare them as a more bang for my buck affordable car....if that makes sense. I always connect luxury with a 75k price tag, idk why that's just me.

I wish they weren't constantly compared to luxury cars, they may feel and drive luxury than others. But you break down the numbers the M3 and MY don't have that seemingly luxury price tag. So I feel like people just hear "Tesla" and think, "That's too luxury, I can't do that" then they by a 35k SUV and end up paying almost the exact same after 5 years.

I feel like I am doing a bad job explaining. Short answer I think the M3 and MY are big upgrades toward the luxury side of things, without the luxury price tag, that's why I don't consider them luxury. That's just my opinion.
100% agree with this. I consider the price tag on a MY to be a premium paid for a high quality EV with some exception technology features. If I were to buy another ICE vehicle, I wouldn't ever consider buying something like a BMW/Mercedes/etc. I probably would have considered buying the IONIQ 5 if it was available at the time I was going to buy the Tesla.

In my mind, the Model X/Y are the equivalent of BMW/Mercedes/etc, and those just have an even high premium because they're EVs. At some point, all these prices are going to start to come down, and the Y will be something closer to a higher-end CR-V/RAV-4/etc. The only reason people call them luxury cars right now is because of the price tag and the fact that Tesla has found a few areas to focus on more premium quality (leather, finish, etc.).

I totally agree with you, I'm almost embarrassed at times to tell friends about our Tesla purchase, b/c of the "ohhhh you all are rich" comments...but they drive cars/trucks that are pretty comparable price-wise...I think because all Teslas used to be in the $100K stratosphere that is the stigma.
dude!! totally feel this. i still haven’t told my family as that’s what i’ll hear. “told you that you’re rich!” what about the $80k f150 sitting in your garage that cost $80 a week for gas. nah bruh…. you’re the rich one.

From a build quality perspective, Tesla can't yet match BMW, Audi and Mercedes. This is evident just in the difference in sound of closing a door. Right now Tesla's build quality is probably just under Ford/GM/etc, which is still pretty impressive given the relative short time Tesla has been building automobiles versus everyone else.

From a technology standpoint, Tesla is lightyears ahead of everyone else. That gap is going to be more difficult to bridge for the big automakers than it will be for Tesla to bridge the build quality gap between themselves and the luxury automakers. They're not anywhere near that yet, but with each car running down the assembly line they're getting that much closer.
This dead on

Reactions: TESRP and PatrickTM
What field of work are you in? I never thought, in a million years as an active duty officer in the USAF, that I'd EVER work from home. But here we are, in month 17, mostly working from home besides specific training & duty events. We were just easing back into the office when Delta Variant hit, and now it's a step backward again. Granted my unit is chock full of civilians, contractors, and we work closely with industry on many projects.

To answer the question posed by @Hangover which is this car is primarily for my spouse as her daily driver, and used as our weekend car, fun trip car, etc. Some on here have heard my story before, which is we've been a successful single-car family for 5+ years now, living in LA and now Boston area, supplementing as needed with a Vespa in LA, and e-bike in Boston. Wouldn't say it's easy, but actually a fun challenge, quite doable for folks who are relatively healthy/fit and can ride safely and defensively in traffic. But with spouse going back to school in early 2022, and what I'm assuming will be in-office work for me at some point, that's our soft deadline for the Model Y order. I won't be super upset if it's late, because we've saved so much money driving only one car ('15 Prius) and I'm not against borrowing a car for a short time from friends nearby.
I was career active duty AF too. Mostly as a KC-135 nav, but also went to AFIT and along the way did about six years at Wright Patt in program management. LA and Boston area, I'm going to guess you're at Hanscom and are somehow associated with AFMC!

Reactions: TESRP and PatrickTM
From a technology standpoint, Tesla is lightyears ahead of everyone else. That gap is going to be more difficult to bridge for the big automakers than it will be for Tesla to bridge the build quality gap between themselves and the luxury automakers. They're not anywhere near that yet, but with each car running down the assembly line they're getting that much
www.teslarati.com/tesla-2nd-place-in-vehicle-tech-vs-xpeng-jd-power/amp/

Watched some xpeng videos on YouTube. Seems pretty cool. Would be great if they sold them here in the US. Competition is always good.

I don't necessary agree with that, because if you do 5 year break downs of ICE vehicles against the Teslas, they kind of align with the mid tier vehicles in my opinion. That's just how I saw it, I compared it to a car that we would get if we didn't go electric, Subaru Forester, and the Tesla was only about 10k more for total cost after 5 years. So easy decision. I am not saying Tesla isn't better quality and isn't higher end, I just think people will be switching from ICE cars and may compare them like that. So that's why I don't compare them to luxury, I compare them as a more bang for my buck affordable car....if that makes sense. I always connect luxury with a 75k price tag, idk why that's just me.

I wish they weren't constantly compared to luxury cars, they may feel and drive luxury than others. But you break down the numbers the M3 and MY don't have that seemingly luxury price tag. So I feel like people just hear "Tesla" and think, "That's too luxury, I can't do that" then they by a 35k SUV and end up paying almost the exact same after 5 years.

I feel like I am doing a bad job explaining. Short answer I think the M3 and MY are big upgrades toward the luxury side of things, without the luxury price tag, that's why I don't consider them luxury. That's just my opinion.
Compare these two. Tesla MY vs BMW x3M, the Tesla still costs more, when you add the black paint and 20" rims to match the BMW x3M.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 11.24.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 11.24.57 AM.png
    338.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 11.25.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 11.25.02 AM.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 36
As there isn't much activity or changes today. Let's see if we can have some conversation. Please reply to this and state why you are waiting so much for your car. It could be that you don't have a car and need one now. Or it could just be that, I bought it and I want it and it's okay and feel free to state that.

My reason. I wasn't in a hurry before. I ordered on June 3 and wasn't active that much and used to check EDD rarely. I had 2 cars and was planning to replace one of them. Got a good price for my car and sold it to CarMax. I was able to live with one car as we work from home most of the time and me and wife don't need to commute on same day. Unfortunately it got rear ended on June 18th by a FREAKING girl who was on her phone and going 85 on a 55. Her insurance provided me a rental car but I took to my preferred body shop so the insurance is giving me hard time in extending rental and only give one or two day extensions only citing that the body shop isn't sending information fast. Having a hard time trying to talk to both body shop and insurance and keeping my rental. I'm just vexed and want my tesla so I don't need to deal with these.
Sold my car October 2020. It was rear ended literally 12 hours after I bought it, the dealership offered me a position where I could walk away with some money and I work from home so I took the cash and ran.
June I got a promotion and Ive always wanted a Tesla, and said for the past decade I would buy one if I hit this career milestone, so eventhough I technically didn't need it, My husband encouraged me to order it.
The next day his car was rear ended and totalled. I am not in a rush as now we are walking into two car payments instead of the anticipated one so saving the extra cash is super nice, but, it would also be nice to have a car just to leave my house alone every once in a while, work from a local coffee shop, see civilization without relying on others.

Reactions: Hangover

We're cross-shopping the MYLR with the BMW X3, Mercedes GLB, and the Audi Q5 (and the VW ID.4, but that is definitely not luxury). Similarly configured, those three "luxury" small SUVs are all right around the same price: $55k. I get what you're saying about cost of ownership, but the biggest component of that, which is depreciation, is still a mystery for the MY so it's hard to compare. Price out-the-door is similar to what most would consider luxury brands with higher-end trims.

I totally agree with you, I'm almost embarrassed at times to tell friends about our Tesla purchase, b/c of the "ohhhh you all are rich" comments...but they drive cars/trucks that are pretty comparable price-wise...I think because all Teslas used to be in the $100K stratosphere that is the stigma.
Yes. I even explained to my wife and broke down the numbers about how we would get more for our money if we with a MY compared to a Forester. She is starting to come around to the fact that the majority of Teslas on the road are not in fact 100k cars. 😂

Reactions: PatrickTM
Amazing! Thanks for the update I was starting to worry you weren’t coming back 🥺

did you pick up at the domain location?

edit: nvm I noticed the Hollywood feed behind you. You were at the Arboretum!
yes it was the Arboretum, they told me they don't do deliveries at the Domain anymore due to connectivity issues in the garage for first time set up.

Compare these two. Tesla MY vs BMW x3M, the Tesla still costs more, when you add the black paint and 20" rims to match the BMW x3M.
Price is a really bad indicator of what is a "luxury" vehicle. Not to mention, two people can have completely different weightings for how they value a car. For me, I'd pay a premium for technology. For someone else, they'd pay a premium for performance. Right now, the market is just out of whack because EVs are basically a brand new product, software is becoming such a huge part of the value preposition of a car, and everything is transitioning. Trying to compare a Model Y to a BMW just doesn't make sense, other than comparing prices. I could find you several people right now who would say a Model Y isn't worth $30k, but would pay $80k for some BMW that I would never touch.

Reactions: PatrickTM
The Y and 3 (and the forthcoming 2) are not luxury cars. Premium? Yes luxury no. The X and S are their luxury vehicles. You can get a well equipped Honda Pilot or Chevy traverse for the price of a Y
The MY is much much much quieter than my x1. Like night and day. I do have M-Sport suspension though with quiet tread tires.
I feel like the MY is so much more pleasing to drive and hit in that my x1, the seats are softer, the ride is smoother and quieter, and take off is quick unlike im 245hp x1. The simplicity of the cabin is everything, less buttons, more atmosphere. Literally my car has more buttons than i know what to do with. I see the MY as luxury. When i tested it on i75 at 90mph (dont tell them, lol) it was souper quiet, and smooth. I fell in love with it.