Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure. By removing those buttons, dials, and knobs they've reduced cost, eliminated interface issues, eliminated points of failure, and eliminated weight. An EV already eliminates a ton of costly and heaving components, radiators, transmissions, pumps, gauges, etc. Now they've cleaned up the interior in the same way and removed tons of wiring. With the body they've removed tons of welds and fasteners and tons of labor steps. Now they're going to literally stamp out the car. attach the battery pack, bolt on some electric engines, and insert the interior.

They are going to be cranking out cars at the speed of light at a fraction of the marginal cost.

And in the end the car won't be just a car, it's going to be a service platform like a cell phone. It'll be cranking our 'free' recurring cash flow via the connection subscription, super charger network, FSD subscriptions, performance boost, accessories, etc. I don't think they've even begin to really monetize the platforms yet. They own the entire ecosystem--car, fuel, accessories, service, FSD, connectivity and entertainment--the whole thing.
totally agree

Having been a BMW guy a large portion of my driving life (don't ask how I ended up trading in my X5 for a Ford Raptor) I can say the X1 is nowhere near on par build wise as even the X3. My wife currently drives an X5 and is looking to downsize, and loved the smaller size of the X1. We test drove it, and were surprised by the difference in build quality. A lot of squeaks, rattles and "corners cut" from even the X3.

Ultimately, she went with the X3M and we're waiting for that to be built/delivered. Will be interesting to compare the X3 against the Model Y when both arrive.
I had a BMW x3M until May when I sold it to carvana because it was mothballed in my garage while WFH and didn't make sense continuing to make the monthly payment. I loved that thing. Honestly if my company asked me to go back to work tomorrow I'd probably buy another one off the lot (upcharge or not) over anything else if I don't have the MY by then.

Reactions: PatrickTM
The Cadillac dealership in our town is closing because they refused to invest the $250k to bring the dealership up to current standard and be able to bring on the Lyriq. I really think the Lyriq could be a game changer in styling and luxury, but if the legacy dealers won’t get on board, it’s dead in the water
Maybe the Attorney General in Boulder was going to sue the Dealership as an Accessory to the Oil Companies !!!

My wife did her best to hate Tesla ... until she finally sat in one. No buttons. No busy interior. Amazing seats. Simplicity. We find that far more luxurious/
This is me to an absolute T. I wanted nothing to do with the Tesla until I sat in the MY. A day prior, we test drove the E-Tron Prestige. That was a beautiful car, and has all the luxuries you’d expect, but I hated all the different screens! Just freaking put it in one place!! Lol

• Funny
Reactions: CSTARZZ
This is a really interesting conversation. The entire automotive industry is asking itself some of the same hard questions; What is a luxury vehicle? What does owning a car really mean? Look at all the new vehicles from Canoo, Rivian, Lucid, Farraday, Rimac and more, they are all going to challenge different segments of the automotive market. People will have a lot more choices for a vehicle that fits their lifestyle. Tesla has a huge head start in technology but they really need to get there customer service and manufacturing quality up to par with the established OEMs. Once the OEMs get their technology up to par(and they will) Tesla will be challenged from both sides, the smaller innovative companies and the larger more experienced OEMS. The next few years will be a fun time to get an EV.

Tesla is also going to earn more revenue by allowing all vehicles to charge at their supercharger network, which they'll then use to further build out their supercharger network.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out Tesla charges the auto manufacturers a licensing fee to build any of the supercharger compatibility directly into their vehicles.
I think we can look at the history or Standard Oil to see where this will go.