Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was also a time in my life when I didn't have the responsibility of kids, so I had time to DIY.
Same... except with car washing. My poor S and 3 have been seriously neglected post-kiddo
I mean I’m in Austin TX so winter here means like a month of maybe like lows of 40 something? Not including the freak storm last year but I wouldn’t have driven in that anyway. Seems insane to get winter tires for that…
For what it's worth I've now had 7 Philly winters in a RWD Model S and 4 in a RWD Model 3 and I have never used winter tires on either. That's 11 combined winters, all RWD, and stuck with the all season MXM4s for all except the 3's 4th winter which saw the rears change to the CrossClimate+

I mean I’m in Austin TX so winter here means like a month of maybe like lows of 40 something? Not including the freak storm last year but I wouldn’t have driven in that anyway. Seems insane to get winter tires for that…
I’m in Scottsdale AZ and I’m looking at it like you. It seems insane for me to look into getting different tires for the 2-3 weeks a year when it’s in the low 40’s at night and early in the morning before being back to 65-70 during the day.

Road conditions are always great too. We once had a pothole on our road in North Scottsdale and one of the mega-millionaires must have hit it with their sports car and everyone who lived on the road got a letter in the mail apologizing for the “undriveable road conditions the city had allowed to occur”. The whole road was re-surfaced for 1 tiny pothole HaHaHa.

B1AB1AF9-9E77-4A7A-B4D5-6F9A8405D60D.jpeg

Could it be happening? Is it true? Someone pinch me!!!!

Feels like Tesla is starting to wind down the East coast deliveries and focus on west and midwest deliveries for their Quarterly revenue push. Hate to say it to you all, but it seems like you are casualties of the system. By end of august if us in illinois/ midwest don't take delivery/ have a vin we'll be joining you in the october/ november/ december camp
And in doing so, pushing us unfortunate Northeast folks out to next year.

Reactions: TESRP
I’m in Scottsdale AZ and I’m looking at it like you. It seems insane for me to look into getting different tires for the 2-3 weeks a year when it’s in the low 40’s at night and early in the morning before being back to 65-70 during the day.

Road conditions are always great too. We once had a pothole on our road in North Scottsdale and one of the mega-millionaires must have hit it with their sports car and everyone who lived on the road got a letter in the mail apologizing for the “undriveable road conditions the city had allowed to occur”. The whole road was re-surfaced for 1 tiny pothole HaHaHa.
See my above post about having 11 winters with RWD Teslas and never once using winter tires. That's in Philly let alone AZ/TX

What qualifies as winter tho. Only snow? What about just somewhere that gets cold like high 30s. Am I expected to swap tires out?

You'll be fine on all-seasons year round in Austin. If you get heavy snow in Austin there are other reasons not to go out besides tire choice. I'm on the fence about my tires. Either going to sell wheels / tires as essentially new when I get it home or wait until I've used up the P-Zero's to switch wheels/tires. Leaning toward wearing out the OEM tires then making the switch after.

Last edited:
I remember DIY swapping out my summer wheels for the winter ones on my 2001 BMW E46 3 series. What a PITA that was. Not nearly as bad as attempting to use the spare tire as a means to DIY rotate my own tires. Jack up front driver, take off wheel put on spare. Jack up rear passenger, take off wheel, put on tire from front driver... etc.

It was also a time in my life when I didn't have the responsibility of kids, so I had time to DIY.
Oh yeah, if you're just using the car's included jack and tire iron, that would take a long time and a lot of muscle!

Getting a dedicated floor jack and tire iron with some actual leverage, it's a piece of cake. Though a tire rotation would require some jack stands (or the spare tire trick) so I just have the shop rotate them. It's just driving to the shop, waiting for them to do the work, and driving back takes just as much time as me doing it myself. Only good thing about the shop is they also rebalance when they rotate, so it's good to get that done once in a while.

Reactions: MBx4
Feels like Tesla is starting to wind down the East coast deliveries and focus on west and midwest deliveries for their Quarterly revenue push. Hate to say it to you all, but it seems like you are casualties of the system. By end of august if us in illinois/ midwest don't take delivery/ have a vin we'll be joining you in the october/ november/ december camp
I unfortunately think you're right. It sucks, but its not something I have any control over. Just have to settle in and wait until 11/10-12/10...or later...

I unfortunately think you're right. It sucks, but its not something I have any control over. Just have to settle in and wait until 11/10-12/10...or later...
recommend setting up distill monitoring on ev-tsla, tesla-info and the tesla existing inventory page (in multiple zip codes) if your dates have slipped out to oct/ nov/ dec... inventory will pop up eventually. Last night I missed out on a MSM/ Black MYLR5 by a few minutes.
ready my literal previous message.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Same... except with car washing. My poor S and 3 have been seriously neglected post-kiddo

For what it's worth I've now had 7 Philly winters in a RWD Model S and 4 in a RWD Model 3 and I have never used winter tires on either. That's 11 combined winters, all RWD, and stuck with the all season MXM4s for all except the 3's 4th winter which saw the rears change to the CrossClimate+
To be fair, the Michelin CrossClimate+ tire is the world's only all season tire with the Three-Mountain Peak Snowflake rating, so it is considered a "true" winter tire and should have great winter performance...even though it's also an all-season. Heard really great things about it! Would you buy that tire again?

Sorry, you can ignore if you're not a tire nerd like me.

Reactions: TheRock23