Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No desire, whatsoever, to order a P regardless of how fast I can get one. Non-P Teslas are expensive (and fast!) enough and during my city commute of 11 miles that takes 35-55 minutes, Mario Andretti himself wouldn't be able to feel the difference. (Okay maybe he would but what would be the point?)

The roads in this area of the country laugh at the 22" wheels on the P

Every customer wants their car as soon as possible. Don't blame Tesla's shite prioritization, poor planning, or global supply chain fiasco on other customers. If someone wants to pay more for a faster car that allows them to take delivery sooner, more power to them.

I am not willing to pay more for a car with thinner (summer) tires and stiffer suspension, because I know I'll have to spend even more money for new wheels/tires. However, I don't think Model Y Performance buyers who want their cars sooner are any more or less selfish than myself.
I think what he's saying is folks order the P but don't cancel the LR and then take whatever comes first. And I agree with him, it gums up the system for everybody. I know folks who want a new shirt that will buy three, take them all home, try them on, then return the two they decide they don't want. I know people will have different opinions about things like that, but for me that's across the line. I know you 'can' do it, but for me that's just not right.

Yea the pro/cons on MYP vs MYLR are just not compelling enough for me. Even though the price difference between the 2 used to be $10k in January and is now only $7k.

MYP Pros
  • Quicker delivery
  • 0-60 speed/top speed
  • CF spoiler
  • Better brakes (that I hardly use due to regen) and
  • Uberturbine wheel design (subjective if you like it better)
MYP Cons
  • 21” wheels (harsher road quality, summer tires, staggered setup)
  • Less aftermarket wheel comparability w/larger brake calipers(?)
  • Less range
  • Lower ground clearance (no evidence of other suspension differences/improvements except maybe firmer)
  • No 7 seater option
  • More expensive
  • Less resale value than lower priced options (relatively speaking)
  • No track mode (like M3P)
I understand why Tesla has kept the differences to a minimum to streamline manufacturing but I’ve always felt P models need more differentiation. A lot of people like the stealthy/sleeper thing so maybe it’s nice that most people can’t tell the difference between a $40k MYSR vs. $61k+ MYP but I’d guess lots of people who go for the P want to flex a little more haha. I could be wrong though!

I say give the MYP a black headliner, CF interior accents, air cooled seats, heads up display/ bigger center screen with tilt functionality, deeper front bucket seats, etc. to make it more appealing as a drivers car. Idk

I think what he's saying is folks order the P but don't cancel the LR and then take whatever comes first. And I agree with him, it gums up the system for everybody. I know folks who want a new shirt that will buy three, take them all home, try them on, then return the two they decide they don't want. I know people will have different opinions about things like that, but for me that's across the line. I know you 'can' do it, but for me that's just not right.
Fair point! All I can say is no one knows how these excessive orders are impacting actual wait times. Before VIN assignment the car is not even manufactured yet, so having multiple orders isn't taking a car away from another customer (since the car doesn't exist yet). The only thing I can see being messed up is EDDs. However, I think that's a short term problem. Long term the system should recalibrate and recalculate based on cancellation rates.

In the case of clothing retail, such a different ball game. They totally want you to buy three (and tell you to return two). They may even entice you to buy three by telling you that they accept returns any time. Because the customer spends less time in a store to just buy&return than trying on three shirts in the changing room. So revenue per customer minute is higher. Plus there is always a percentage of people who never bother to return because they forgot. But that's really beside the point.

It is quite pricey, but I think the cost to protect your $60k+ car is worth it!

I’d really appreciate it. Congrats again!

Apologies all, haven't been able to follow the thread as closely, but still here for moral support for you all waiting post my delivery.

@collaGOunltd - It went very well, I spoke to owner about your specific situation. I'll DM you with info.

For everyone else ... again keep the faith. The car was great except for minor scratch on the panorama glass. The consensus from the shop who does a lot of Teslas and full range of repair / restoration of all sorts of vehicles, was not to proceed with a replacement of the factory glass. Likely to cause more trouble than it is worth.

Other than that, there were no issues with the car except for minor scuff front passenger door molding that wiped away. Minor misalignment of tail gate but so small not worth an appointment. You'd have to be really anal to notice it. And two tiny spots on driver seat that easily came off. It passed the github checklist swimmingly.

Apologies I don't have pics, as it went straight to the shop and as soon as I got it back went for trial drives etc.

For those still waiting and waiting, I'll be around here and there if you have more questions or need hope.

Oh yes, a bit of a funny in the PEBKAC style. Upon reviewing the dashcam footage, I noticed that the top left box for front camera was blank. This lead me to file a service appointment thinking there was something wrong. Duh, the main UI was already showing the front camera. I then realized I could click the others boxes to show full view of that specific camera. I feel really silly lol, and canceled the appointment promptly. Ummmm Duh.

Last edited:
Yea the pro/cons on MYP vs MYLR are just not compelling enough for me. Even though the price difference between the 2 used to be $10k in January and is now only $7k.

MYP Pros
  • Quicker delivery
  • 0-60 speed/top speed
  • CF spoiler
MYP Cons
  • Less range
  • Lower ground clearance (no evidence of other suspension differences/improvements except maybe firmer)
  • No 7 seater option
  • More expensive
I understand why Tesla has kept the differences to a minimum to streamline manufacturing but I’ve always felt P models need more differentiation. A lot of people like the stealthy/sleeper thing so maybe it’s nice that most people can’t tell the difference between a $40k MYSR vs. $61k+ MYP but I’d guess lots of people who go for the P want to flex a little more haha. I could be wrong though!

I say give the MYP a black headliner, CF interior accents, air cooled seats, heads up display/ bigger center screen with tilt functionality, deeper front bucket seats, etc. to make it more appealing as a drivers car. Idk
Yes to all of your suggested P improvements! Plus more aggressive body panels. I think when you see a P pull up there should be no question in your mind that it's a P, like how an AMG Mercedes looks completely different, from every angle. Right now I pull up to one at a light and the only thing I see is the red underline below "Dual Motor".

MYP Pros
  • Quicker delivery
  • 0-60 speed/top speed
  • CF spoiler
MYP Cons
  • Less range
  • No 7 seater option
  • More expensive

+1 for HUD!

you cannot get it installed while picking up. Once you accept your delivery for car, it shows up in your tesla account. then you can schedule a service appointment to have the opener installed. If you are lucky and they have availability while you were there, you might be able to get it installed.
I had the Homelink module installed in my Model 3 and it worked great. With the Y I'm going to try Tailwind instead (https://gotailwind.com)...same functionality as the Tesla Homelink module at a fraction of the price.

• Informative
Reactions: MBx4 and DogtownTX
7/1 - Ordered MYLR Black on black with no options, EDD was mid to late august
7/21 - Updated order to include 20 inch wheels, EDD changed to mid to late sept

My EDD has bounced between late august to october for the last few weeks. as of today, it's held strong at 9/17-9/30, so i'm guessing i'll get it by the end of the 3rd quarter push.

Ordered a M3 SR+ on 6/28 and got that 8/3. So I'm hopeful the MYLR will be similar.

MYP Pros
  • Quicker delivery
  • 0-60 speed/top speed
  • CF spoiler
MYP Cons
  • Less range
  • No 7 seater option
  • More expensive

There are other factors to consider. If you have a trade in, the Used Market is raising the trade in values of cars, so if you get MYP now, you might get the extra trade in value up lift to cover the difference. Since by the time you get the MYLR values might be lower. I traded my M3D and got an additional $5000 from my initial estimate at order, basically was close to a wash for me to get the MYP.

Reactions: MBx4