Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please don’t spend more $$ than you really really should. I have seen folks buying Tesla and spend another 10-15K on rubbish. People particularly young don’t understand the value of money. Just take this as an advice from an older experienced person who is quite wealthy. Donate to charity if you have so much money to spend but avoid wasting too much on the accessories.
Gotta love how a random guy on an internet forum is telling someone how to spend their hard earned money. No one asked for your opinion, you should probably check yourself.

Off topic for this thread, but having been in here for so long it kinda feels like a little support group. I also know several others are moving kids into college over these past few weeks, and this weekend was our turn - dropping off a 2nd year student who had to spend his 1st year at home due to the pandemic.

All I'll say is that forget stress in regards to waiting for a car.

The 7.5 hours 400+ mile drive from the suburbs of Philly to Penn State Erie was fun. Laughing, joking. Like in the countless marathon drives to hockey rinks we'd taken since he was 5. It was exciting moving in, setting up his room. He was excited, we were excited. Walked the campus, checked out all of the things to do. Took him out for a few dinners over a couple nights. Nothing but brimming with excitement over this new chapter.

Those parents who have dropped kids off at college know what I'm about to say next. That moment when it's time to say goodbye. Wow. Talk about unexpected. That completely helpless feeling a parent has when seeing their child, who rarely, if ever shows any kind of emotion, get choked up and struggle to hold back the tears when it came time for us to leave. Trying to keep the conversation going so we'd stay. He knows nobody there - yet. He's outside of his comfort zone. He's outside of his circle of friends. He's scared.

Then having to just rip the band aid off and leave.

I'm sure there are many nodding while reading this. He'll be fine, no doubt. Next time I go up he'll be rushing me to go home so he can go hang with friends. But still... right now?

Suffice to say, FSD would've come in very handy on that drive home!

Ok, now back to complaining about EDD's.
Great description about leaving kids at college...

Reactions: boulder.dude
Fffffff….Tesla’s are only for people who can write them off for business expenses? I may have messed up……my wife is going to kill me.

Oh well, you only live once. I’m going to spend my money however I want, I worked for it. At least my EDD isn’t in November….I will be mad sad if my EDD pushes to November some day.
My date got moved to November 😔 can I get mad sad? Lol

Reactions: TESRP
Off topic for this thread, but having been in here for so long it kinda feels like a little support group. I also know several others are moving kids into college over these past few weeks, and this weekend was our turn - dropping off a 2nd year student who had to spend his 1st year at home due to the pandemic.

All I'll say is that forget stress in regards to waiting for a car.

The 7.5 hours 400+ mile drive from the suburbs of Philly to Penn State Erie was fun. Laughing, joking. Like in the countless marathon drives to hockey rinks we'd taken since he was 5. It was exciting moving in, setting up his room. He was excited, we were excited. Walked the campus, checked out all of the things to do. Took him out for a few dinners over a couple nights. Nothing but brimming with excitement over this new chapter.

Those parents who have dropped kids off at college know what I'm about to say next. That moment when it's time to say goodbye. Wow. Talk about unexpected. That completely helpless feeling a parent has when seeing their child, who rarely, if ever shows any kind of emotion, get choked up and struggle to hold back the tears when it came time for us to leave. Trying to keep the conversation going so we'd stay. He knows nobody there - yet. He's outside of his comfort zone. He's outside of his circle of friends. He's scared.

Then having to just rip the band aid off and leave.

I'm sure there are many nodding while reading this. He'll be fine, no doubt. Next time I go up he'll be rushing me to go home so he can go hang with friends. But still... right now?

Suffice to say, FSD would've come in very handy on that drive home!

Ok, now back to complaining about EDD's.
Great description. Will be in the same boat dropping off at college early September.

If you’ve been here long enough you’d know how long he had to wait to receive his MY or how Tesla screwed up his delivery but he still loves the car. He just wanted to give us long termers here an update and you had to rain on that parade.
Thanks for standing up for me! The post you replied to didn't bother me but yours and the one from @PatrickTM made me feel like a valued member of the community. Thank you!

I've been retired for 20 years so I may be too old to learn new lessons about frugality. The MY was a wild, crazy splurge but I didn't have to borrow money to buy it. TBH, I probably did buy too many accessories but I've been having a blast. If I came off like an impetuous youngster then I feel extremely flattered. That reminds me, another great accessory was the wide angle side mirrors. They were really easy to install and I feel like I have a much better view of what's behind me.

The cars are mind-blowing but, for me, the best part of owning a Tesla is the community.

Please don’t spend more $$ than you really really should. I have seen folks buying Tesla and spend another 10-15K on rubbish. People particularly young don’t understand the value of money. Just take this as an advice from an older experienced person who is quite wealthy. Donate to charity if you have so much money to spend but avoid wasting too much on the accessories.

who died and made you the fun police? I totally understand your notion of “do not over spend” but who are you to tell another what to do with extra money if one is going to do so? Sheesh.

Reactions: Naija King
TL;DR: hang in there folks! It's worth the wait and frustration.

Life is fine. I'm loving the new car. When people ask me how I like it I tell them "all cars should be like this". I'm still adding mods. Yesterday I added a screen protector for the touchscreen and magnets to keep the roof sunshade from flapping in the breeze (when the window is open for my dog). The best mod was the swivel mount for the touchscreen.

I haven't gone camping yet but I did take a nap in the back for a few hours on a tri-fold mattress. Instead of blocking all the windows I'm planning to use a wrap-around sleep mask to keep the light out of my eyes. I need to figure out how to get music from my phone to work while in camping mode. I suspect I just need to set it up when I'm still in front with access to the screen.

View attachment 700643

I got a "Foam King" for washing the car using a normal garden hose. This, combined with Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax and a large microfiber towel has made washing a breeze and nearly effortless. I'm still working on getting a carport installed. I've got a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my driveway for charging. In going from 50% to 80% charge it adds roughly 10% per hour.

The problem with logging into YouTube was magically fixed without a software update. So according to a previous post my life should be complete now.

Basic autopilot does about 80% of the driving for me, YMMVG. I'm looking forward to some of the FSD beta 9 improvements trickling down to AP. If the car does a better job of detecting the edge of the road/lane then I think my AP usage will go up to 90%.

One strange thing is on the small 30 MPH road I take to go home, the Tesla slows down on the same little hill that my old Volvo slows down on. The old Volvo slows down because it has very little power at 6,000 feet elevation and cruise control does not put a lot of force on the accelerator. I don't know why the Tesla slows down. Maybe it's concerned about a lack of visibility. It's always spooky when it happens.

To make a right turn off the divided highway to the 30 MPH road I usually go into the breakdown lane and there is even a break in the painted lane marker that seems designed for this. I can slow down in the breakdown lane without causing cars behind me to have to slow down. The Tesla is unhappy with this maneuver. It thinks driving in the breakdown lane is bad bad bad. IMO the real solution is for them to add some paint and mark a pull off lane for that turn. Also, after I make that turn, the Tesla thinks the speed limit on the small road is 45 MPH so I have to wait until we get to a 30 MPH sign before I engage autopilot because AFAIK you can't adjust the autopilot speed when autopilot is not engaged. I wish there was a way to tell it the speed limit on that stretch before the sign is 30 MPH. Putting a speed limit sign close to the intersection would also fix this.

I'm slowly learning how to get the most out of the car. One important trick is to almost always use the stalk to disengage autopilot instead of the brake. This way I can have my foot on the accelerator to control the speed instead of bouncing from the brake to the accelerator when regen braking kicks in. Also, like my old Volvo, you can use the accelerator without disengaging autopilot/cruise-control. So with both cars I put my foot on the accelerator in the same spot on the road at that little hill. I'm very impressed with the human-machine interface but it takes some learning, at least for me it did.

I want to drive more!
Holy cow! I love it! Especially using the car as a camper, putting that camper mode to good use.

For pulling off into the shoulder for a few feet prior to the exist, I assume you're using the turn signal, right? And even then the car gets antsy?

Thanks for standing up for me! The post you replied to didn't bother me but yours and the one from @PatrickTM made me feel like a valued member of the community. Thank you!

I've been retired for 20 years so I may be too old to learn new lessons about frugality. The MY was a wild, crazy splurge but I didn't have to borrow money to buy it. TBH, I probably did buy too many accessories but I've been having a blast. If I came off like an impetuous youngster then I feel extremely flattered. That reminds me, another great accessory was the wide angle side mirrors. They were really easy to install and I feel like I have a much better view of what's behind me.

The cars are mind-blowing but, for me, the best part of owning a Tesla is the community.

Could you kindly share where you've purchased the wide angle mirrors? Thanks!

Reactions: PatrickTM and MBx4
Need some advice.
What’s the minimum amount of times in a day you should refresh your account hoping for a vin and how far in between? Lol.
EDD has been 9/9 - 9/29 for a couple weeks now. Tesla person told me in July vin would come 8/7-8/15 and EDD would be 8/23. My SA said mid August but wouldn’t give me actual dates. Of course nothing has happened.
MYLR orders is a patience/anxiety training course in the school of life. Lol

Reactions: MMurrayGA