Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats, if you ordered a P it's probably already waiting outside in your driveway.

Jealous joking aside, this often happens over weekends and at month and quarter ends.
Yes, LR and P got separate lines ;)

Slightly Off topic, LR and P must be having different VIN range right ? So far I see, based on the latest VIN in tracker, August has seen about 20k deliveries (P & LR combined) which is pretty good and consistent with Q1 and Q2 trends.

Hello my VINless friends. My long-timer update:

OD may 31. yes, MAY!
refreshing my tesla account page like a madman cuz my peeps here are getting VINs ('cept not me).
still holding at 9/11 - 30 since the 28th. it was 9/6 - 26 for 9 days before that.

The EDD is certainly computed by Tesla but we can only guess about its derivation. It's like trying to get Google's search algorithm. Just when you think you get it, you realize you don't.

tesla (or someone in that company) knows how often we ridiculous people refresh our account pages. your specific url is known and their analytics shows how often a page is visited. since there are soooo many customers, the chances of someone seeing YOUR particular page is small but it IS possible. So we can be punished for our exuberance. Just sayin'.

Maybe today will be the day i get thrust out of the state of VINlessness.

I just spoke with someone in person yesterday about this. She said that once the VIN has been attached to you, it will only be reassigned if you become unresponsive. Might be a good idea to call Tesla and let them know you're waiting on your duplicate title from the state so they can note your account
Thanks. I just called the 888 number and spoke with a representative. He reassured me that I am in queue and I can accept the trade-in offer whenever. He also told me the exact dates for my Model Y's manufacture date (12/13), VIN match date (12/13), SC delivery date (Roswell, GA 12/19) and a range of dates for the actual delivery (12/20-12/22). He said since it would only take 6 days from manufacture to SC delivery (12/13-12/19), he suspects it'll be made in Austin, TX. No promises, of course. Most Fremont made vehicles would take 2 weeks to deliver to an SC. ATX made would be amazing!

Reactions: ap105 and TESRP
Thanks. I just called the 888 number and spoke with a representative. He reassured me that I am in queue and I can accept the trade-in offer whenever. He also told me the exact dates for my Model Y's manufacture date (12/13), VIN match date (12/13), SC delivery date (Roswell, GA 12/19) and a range of dates for the actual delivery (12/20-12/22). He said since it would only take 6 days from manufacture to SC delivery (12/13-12/19), he suspects it'll be made in Austin, TX. No promises, of course. Most Fremont made vehicles would take 2 weeks to deliver to an SC. ATX made would be amazing!
What's your OOD? I'm about to call and see if I can get that information

You can request another dealership. I test drove with Cherry Hill, and when I ordered, it set my delivery dealership to Devon. My Cherry Hill SA (Rodney) reached out to me after the order and asked if I wanted to switch to Cherry Hill and then made the change.
Thank you! You'd think I know this stuff by now but I might as well be a brand newbie because things have definitely changed since my other deliveries. Cherry Hill didn't actually exist yet. (It opened a few weeks after my 3 came in... I know this because my stomach was huge for the 3 delivery, but it looked much better by the grand opening party at CH, where my few-week-old child was also in attendance...)

041218.JPG

And what's that 1-888 number

Hello my VINless friends. My long-timer update:

OD may 31. yes, MAY!
refreshing my tesla account page like a madman cuz my peeps here are getting VINs ('cept not me).
still holding at 9/11 - 30 since the 28th. it was 9/6 - 26 for 9 days before that.

The EDD is certainly computed by Tesla but we can only guess about its derivation. It's like trying to get Google's search algorithm. Just when you think you get it, you realize you don't.

tesla (or someone in that company) knows how often we ridiculous people refresh our account pages. your specific url is known and their analytics shows how often a page is visited. since there are soooo many customers, the chances of someone seeing YOUR particular page is small but it IS possible. So we can be punished for our exuberance. Just sayin'.

Maybe today will be the day i get thrust out of the state of VINlessness.
I feel your pain. I'm VINless on day 115! OD: 5/7

Knowing when you will get your MY (or a VIN) based on your EDD is the same as predicting the future by reading tea leaves - except, the latter is much more accurate! 😃

In it's current iteration, Autopilot is no different than adaptive cruise control (or whatever car manufacturers choose to call it) on upper mid to higher end vehicles on the road today. They both keep you in your lane, and maintain a certain distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
Agree, my experience as well. It is an incredibly good adaptive cruise control with high-confidence inspiring lane centering/locking. Other cars, like Toyota, occasionally they get a little bit confused and decide to let go of controlling the car and try to throw you into the ditch. You know to never trust those damn things and don't use it on roads with curves, low vis, etc.

I think the hate on Tesla stems from
1. Clearly documented morons on Youtube abusing the system and pushing the system beyond its limitations and parameters
2. The egregiously misleading name "Full Self-Driving Capability"
3. Constant bragging and hype from Elon about how amazing FSD is, how soon it's happening (perpetually two to four weeks away)
4. Tesla being the current market leader, with the highest market and news visibility

I'm not saying that certain news outlets aren't anti-EV, but I just don't see much evidence that anti-EV sentiment is the primary driver.

What options did you pick after calling 888 number?

Wow wow... too much unbelievable information, he must be joking with you.

Fantastic write-up and very interesting! Thanks, and congratulations on the successful delivery and first journey.

I'm very curious how phantom braking will manifest itself on my usual road trips. I-90 in NY and MA recently put up toll bridges with the lights and cameras across the highway to read your transponder. I could absolutely see that structure and those lights triggering AP.
So if it makes you feel better, Illinois has a toll road and these oases that span across the highway. And it was only those 2 instances where the overhead thing seemed to be the trigger. It may be an issue but I drove under a lot of bridges or things that span over the highway and it only happened twice, which made it more of a head scratcher from me. It went through the transponder scanner fine, maybe the angle of the sun?

Just be prepared, that's the only thing I have.

What's your build?

It may be believable that estimates will be more predictable at Austin but this is a lot of very specific information most people don't even have the day before they get a VIN. Remains to be seen.

Reactions: chand
Hey everyone, meet Aegon. He got his name because of the love affair between the Model 3 and the Model X. I also wanted that name because I am dork. When autopilot messes up I can be like "Jon Snow, you know nothing." and when we pass a gas station or broken down I can be like "KING OF THE NORTH!!". I am easily amused.

The rest is going to be lengthy because I am going to go into detail about my trip back to Milwaukee from St Louis, touching on autopilot and charging.

Note: this is based on a 385 mile road trip so it is limited and it is my opinion and based on my experiences.

TLDR: Delivery went really well, super easy and no major issues. The frunk is a little misaligned but to me it is not worth the service appointment because it is so minor. If you are worried about road trips and charging, don't. Yes, charging is longer, but if you are some that has a family and you don't just fill up and leave, charging isn't an issue. If you have a family, by the time you get your kids out and go to the bathroom, send a couple texts or look at your trip route, chances are you are ready to head out again. Also, look into charging etiquette. While in autopilot you have to be paying attention and ready 100% of the time. In my opinion, FSD is a long way out. The issues I ran into, I can't believe that it is close and I fall in line with some critics. Tesla should rename autopilot and FSD to something different, those names imply that the car is in control of the car, and it is not, it is an assistant. Other manufactures make it more obvious on who is in charge "Co-pilot 360" or just plain "driver assistance". Tesla should go with something like "The Assistant" for autopilot and "The Executive Assistant" for FSD beta...make it more obvious that the driver is the one in charge.

The in depth impressions.

Delivery:

This went super smooth, kind of too smooth. I like that I looked the car over and everything looked good, and that was it. But the whole touchless, I don't I felt like I was doing something wrong because of how easy it was. I did have a question about a document so I did end up going inside, but the person I talked to checked nothing, no id, no insurance, didn't even check for payment because we forgot to put the check in the folder until we were walking back to the car.

So the delivery was smooth, awesome, easy but weird at the same time.

Charging:

We left St Louis with 63%.

First Stop:

We drove to a Springfield, IL supercharging and got there at 25%. This charger had 8 stalls and rated to charge at 150 kW. We were the only ones there. The Tesla suggested a 20 minute charge and to leave at 50% charge to make it to the next charger. My wife needed to get gas for her Forester, so we ran down the road about a mile to get gas. We filled up, went to the bathroom and got a couple of snacks and then went back to the car. I don't know exactly how much time passed but it seemed like 15 mins. We got back to the car and it was at 83%. The charger was still pulling 163 kW. When we stopped charging there were now 5 others there and another one pulling in as I left. Total charge time, 26 mins. This charge really caught me off guard because it didn't think we were their that long, because we just ran to the gas station and came back.

Second Stop:

We stopped at Peru, IL. The charger had 8 stalls was rated for 150 kW and there were 2 others already charging. We plugged in at 33% and Tesla said 15 mins. Not even 30 seconds after plugging in someone pulled in right next to me, so I unplugged and moved to an open bank (will explain why down below). We went into the Hy-Vee went to the bathroom and grabbed some coffee (Starbucks inside), came out and it predicted that that we would get home with 5%. I didn't feel comfortable with that because first EV road trip and I decided to wait until it predicted 10%. After I sent a couple of texts ready to go, 78% and 22 min charge and now 4 other stalls occupied. When leaving there were 2 others pulling in.

Please look into charging etiquette, the V2, 150 kW, chargers share power banks. If you haven't been to a supercharger, they are labeled 1a,1b,2a,2b....etc. 1a and 1b will share the 150 kW between the 2 stalls. So if you are plugged into 1a and someone plugs into 1b you both will have slower charging speeds. So if you are pulling in and there is an open bank, 4a and 4b are both open, it is better and polite for you to plug into one of those first. With V3, 250 kW, chargers this is not an issue, stalls do not split the power. Most supercharges installs since later 2019 have been V3.

Autopilot:

The trip was 385 miles and I tried to use autopilot as much as I could to get a good feeling of the limitations and what not. Autopilot is the best driver assistance that I have experienced, I really only experienced Toyota's. Here are my thoughts/experiences on Autopilot:

• If you are in the slow lane and you come up to an on ramp, the car does pull to the right until it reads the line. It handles off ramps fine, I think because the off ramps start from the front of the car, so the car "sees" that it is an off ramp and the lane didn't just get really wide. I don't recall the Tesla Vision car that I test drove doing that, it could have been something that I didn't notice or just didn't have that use case come up much on the test drive.
  • If you are in autopilot and a semi or car comes into your lane a little bit, the car will break from holding the center of the lane and keep the distance from the semi if the car thinks it can do that and stay in the lane. I love that.
  • Autopilot loves to keep the center of the lane, it doesn't bounce back and forth in the lane like other driver assistance systems. If you are enabling autopilot, make sure you are close to the center of the lane, otherwise you will probably get a jerk to the center of the lane....I warned you.
  • Autopilot reads lines the best, if cones or barrels are used to mark the lane.....I would not trust it.
  • If someone cuts off right in front of you, autopilot will not slow down to keep the distance unless it detects the car is slowing down or not accelerating....huge +++.
  • Autopilot is a very defensive system, could probably be classified as an asshole driver.

Phantom Braking:

Now to the reason why I think Tesla should rename autopilot and FSD. I experienced probably 10-15 incidents, I don't know if this is software or lack of clean cameras. I plan on making sure the cameras are clean, but I do want to mention them just in case. Out of all those, I think only 5 were problematic, the rest I could see someone also breaking/slowing down. The majority of these incidences were just the car "letting of the gas" and then realizing and goes back to speed, so it only dropped a few mph. But I want to call out the 5 cases where the car slowed down a lot and if someone was behind me, it could have been bad:

• On an interchange, two lanes from each highway coming together. I was in the slow lane of the two lanes, coming from the left, the other two lanes were coming from the right. There was also a transition from concrete (light) to asphalt (fresh, very black). Autopilot slowed down right were the merge and asphalt all came together, no other cars except for my wife following about 200 meters back. I think the huge color change triggered the car to freakout.
  • The was a turn on the highway and there was an overpass that went over the highway in the middle of the turn. No cars around except my wife following. I think the shadow and the fact that it come from the exact front of the car, it freaked out a bit.
  • Similar to above but with an exit sign thing that spanned over.
  • I was in the slow lane and there was a on ramp that turned into a third lane. That on ramp was also on of those long swooping on ramps. As I was coming up to it there was a semi in that merging lane. It seemed like autopilot did "see" the semi and then it started seeing it and freaked out.
  • This last one is a worrying one, open straight away with nothing around.....nothing and it just did it....*shrug*
Those 5 cases, a human would have have been able to successfully distinguish those situations, and handled them correctly. For this reason it is hard for me to believe that FSD is "two weeks away"

Before I got my car I was kind of annoyed that Tesla didn't offer Enhanced Autopilot anymore because I wanted the auto lan change on the highway, now I am not sure how much I would use that feature, not sure if I would be able to trust it.

Overall, it was an amazing experience and I love it. I think with autopilot and stopping more...I wasn't burnt out when I got home. Even with those issues, I would still take autopilot everyday, it made driving enjoyable and not as draining. However, you have to pay attention 100% of the time, it is not in control, it is assisting you.

Tesla still needs to figure out their customer service issue, I half expected to get to St Louis and have Tesla tell me it isn't ready, I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be. Instead I felt bloodied and exhausted by whole ordeal, but that feeling has been waning and I am getting the joy back.
Oh I forgot to add my thoughts about the charger situation. I noted about how full the chargers were because, I stopped at two locations and they seemed somewhat in a less traveled area, and the chargers were filling up.

I am all about the expansion of charging to help with EV adoption. I get why Tesla is opening the charging network....I just hope they stay ahead of the demand because I see how the chargers could have wait times if other cars start using the network.

Sounds fishy... i can't believe somebody would be able to predict a build and delivery date so far out in the future. Are you sure it wasn't a dream?

Most people who've pressed tesla for "soft match" information have received terribly innacurate information.

Might they have told you this because you sounded like you expected the good news and they just said it to get you off the phone?

Reactions: PatrickTM