Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDD Shift as expected - tighter 14 day window - hoping this is it !!

Old EDD: Oct 1-20
New EDD: Oct 10-24

Attachments

• Tesla EDD.png
    Tesla EDD.png
    158.5 KB · Views: 65
Right, I would've expected Tesla to update the 82kWh packs charging curve by now.

While those more informed are able to take advantage of the peak charge rate you can achieve by coming in at low SoC, I still think having a higher avg charge rate is way more user-friendly for new EV drivers. It requires less planning and would eliminate the risk of people trying to arrive with low SoC. Also, when you do need to charge to high SoC before heading to remote areas, like I do often, it can be painfully slow for the last ~20%. Admittedly, that is a bit of an edge case but I wonder if Tesla will ever adjust their charge rate philosophy when EV's become more mainstream.
Question for you and other current owners: how do you find supercharger and BMS reliability? I know that the most efficient method is to roll in at super low SoC, but I have a fear that BMS may be buggy and it’s actually lower, or the supercharger is down or overcrowded and I just need to drive 20 miles to the next location.

My questions might be moot because I might end up stopping due to biological needs more often than vehicle needs, or by the time I get my Model Y in six months there’ll be way more superchargers.

Also, no change in EDD. Still blank.

I picked up my red LR AWD in Boise, ID yesterday, and lo and behold it came with front mudflaps and PPF on the rear doors. Bonus!

I had a great experience with the staff in Boise, the car was in excellent condition, only the most minor panel alignment issues, probably not worth even mentioning or seeking to fix. There was a small smudge on one interior A pillar, but almost completely wiped away with my finger. Turns out the car was ordered by someone who could not take delivery due to having to go out of country for a funeral. Major bummer for them, I almost feel bad taking their car, almost. Made the ~900 mile drive home with no problems charging. I did have some phantom braking issues a few times using TACC and/or auto-steer, but I think each one was the cameras getting confused about awful lane markers, construction zones, or just general crappy pavement state. It did get a bit pissy on a two-lane road about oncoming cars, but I know that is a common issue. At any rate, I did not buy it for autopilot, and I only used it for maybe ~200 miles on the way home. I honestly like driving, and this car drives really well. I'm thrilled with it, and glad to finally have the car sitting pretty in my garage. Bonus picture from my first ever supercharger visit:

Enjoy!!! So spectacular!!!

Question for you and other current owners: how do you find supercharger and BMS reliability? I know that the most efficient method is to roll in at super low SoC, but I have a fear that BMS may be buggy and it’s actually lower, or the supercharger is down or overcrowded and I just need to drive 20 miles to the next location.

My questions might be moot because I might end up stopping due to biological needs more often than vehicle needs, or by the time I get my Model Y in six months there’ll be way more superchargers.

Also, no change in EDD. Still blank.
My experience is limited to one road trip but I'll share my observations. The BMS is pretty accurate. What I noticed is the system would initially say you would arrive at the next supercharger at say 18%, but that may creep down to 16% or 15% while on route. I assume the difference is mainly due to temperature, wind, speeding up and slowing down due to traffic and construction, i.e. all the things it doesn't know about or can predict. Each time I arrived at a charger my SoC was 1-2% lower than what it had finally predicted. The easy way to compensate for this is to just let the car charge an extra 5% or so after it says you are good to continue your trip. The interface clearly shows what your SoC should be when arriving at the next charger, and how long you will need to charge there, so there are no surprises and you can anticipate if you will have any range troubles.

Regarding stopping more often, I did notice the car seems to default to making fewer stops, versus more stops to charge for shorter bursts. To me it seems the easiest way to game the system is to keep programming the navigation to take you to the supercharger after the next one, that way it basically forces the car to stop at each charger instead of skipping some. There's a button on the maps that shows all the superchargers, so you can easily find them and use them as intermediate destinations. For example, if your route down the interstate has 4 superchargers, numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4, start out by programming it to take you to #2. Assuming you cannot go all the way to #2 on a single charge, it will require a short stop at #1, perfect for a bio break. After the stop at #1, reset it to take you to #3, which will require a stop at #2. After stopping at #2, program it to take you to #4, which will require a stop at #3. After stopping at #3, program your final destination, it will stop at #4 then take you the rest of the way.

Tesla is actually offering a decent trade-in price for my truck… unfortunately with my delivery still in Dec it doesnt make much sense to add it to my order right now. Tesla’s price matched the KBB instant offer price exactly, which means it’s technically 7% higher due to the sales tax savings. (Carvana and Vroom are both low) Hopefully the value holds as it’s been all over the map in the last few months. Slightly concerned about the payment, it’ll be double what I’m paying today o_O but I’m trusting all you vinners who say it’s worth it!! Thought about listing it to see what I can get but I’m not too thrilled about dealing with people, haha.
I had a RR Evoque before my model three. I leased the evoque, and doubled my payment to buy the model 3 (put no money down on it) and still saved an average of $18/month between maintenance & Gas. I just sold the 3 and made about $10k on it because of the demand for used cars right now - put that money on a more expensive Model Y.

It's totally worth the upgrade.

Reactions: EvEv and PatrickTM
I work out of Schaumburg once a week. Where is the SC at? Near Woodfield Mal
I work out of Schaumburg once a week. Where is the SC at? Near Woodfield Mall?

The nearest SC is in rolling meadow
Yes rolling meadows! 😊

My experience is limited to one road trip but I'll share my observations. The BMS is pretty accurate. What I noticed is the system would initially say you would arrive at the next supercharger at say 18%, but that may creep down to 16% or 15% while on route. I assume the difference is mainly due to temperature, wind, speeding up and slowing down due to traffic and construction, i.e. all the things it doesn't know about or can predict. Each time I arrived at a charger my SoC was 1-2% lower than what it had finally predicted. The easy way to compensate for this is to just let the car charge an extra 5% or so after it says you are good to continue your trip. The interface clearly shows what your SoC should be when arriving at the next charger, and how long you will need to charge there, so there are no surprises and you can anticipate if you will have any range troubles.

Regarding stopping more often, I did notice the car seems to default to making fewer stops, versus more stops to charge for shorter bursts. To me it seems the easiest way to game the system is to keep programming the navigation to take you to the supercharger after the next one, that way it basically forces the car to stop at each charger instead of skipping some. There's a button on the maps that shows all the superchargers, so you can easily find them and use them as intermediate destinations. For example, if your route down the interstate has 4 superchargers, numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4, start out by programming it to take you to #2. Assuming you cannot go all the way to #2 on a single charge, it will require a short stop at #1, perfect for a bio break. After the stop at #1, reset it to take you to #3, which will require a stop at #2. After stopping at #2, program it to take you to #4, which will require a stop at #3. After stopping at #3, program your final destination, it will stop at #4 then take you the rest of the way.
My experience is different and I find the BMS to be conservative on % at destination meaning it might originally say I’ll arrive at 10% and I end up at 16%. As mentioned it does depend on how you drive - especially speed. If you go 80-90mph up the grapevine you’ll be burning at a much faster clip. That said the trip calculator does take elevation changes into consideration it just expects you to be “around” the speed limit. You can watch the trip screen and see how you are tracking compared to its estimate while in route. Additionally things like climate control usage, headwinds, rain, will all affect your wh/mi. If you are overdoing it in several areas (speed, climate, etc.) the car will tell you to slow down to a specific speed in order to make it to your destination. I’m in CA so cold weather really doesn’t come into play much here but can have a big affect on the battery and consumption. Heat pump that has been around for a bit, but not in my current car is supposed to help with that quite a bit. As for overcrowding I also only have limited, 2 road trips, (planning on many more with the bigger more comfortable Y) but was never an issue in terms of waiting and they always were in working order. Of course there are many more Tesla’s on the road now then in 2019 and my Thanksgiving trips don’t require a charging stop, so YMMV.

Another tool to help with road trips is abetterrouteplanner.com you can research different routes and superchargers than what the trip planner may suggest. You can also check out amenities at or near each one to plan coffee, lunch, etc. then you can charge up to full battery during a longer lunch stop and skip a charger, etc.

Now back to the regularly scheduled broadcast. STILL no change in EDD

• Informative
Reactions: PatrickTM and chand
Folks who already own Teslas: How long does the dopamine rush last after getting the Tesla? Weeks? Months? My life is now centered around getting the next dopamine source. Eating is one for sure. Buying gadgets certainly other. Going for iphone 13 pro max. Generally I get a great feeling for few days with that and then it fades. I may have to eventually shift to meditation and self search to get the continuous bliss I seek. Everything else so far hasn’t stood the rest of time though they are the ones that control my life goals haha lol what a pitiful way to live
Good things come to those who wait. Custom ordering my last two BMWs made me impervious to instant gratification. BMW production is more transparent than Tesla because you're assigned a VIN up front. You can follow each manufacturing step, transport, ship selection, journey across ocean, crossing Panama Canal, port arrival, trucking, delivery prep, etc. But waiting for the duration is the same. It's a healthy exercise because patience is a virtue. As far as post delivery dopamine rushes, it all depends how enamored you are with the object. In my case I expect it'll be short lived at which point I'll enter a much longer pride of ownership phase. Enjoy!

did we start getting VIN for 2022 model?

I am one of the unlucky who had to original delivery scheduled in August end and had to reject and still waiting. I am hoping atleast I get 2022 model year. My EDD in genetic Oct for last 3 weeks and my SA told that I will get VIN in first or second week of Oct.

Reactions: CharlesCastle
We were spending about $250/month on gas for my Acadia (aka Mom taxi for gymnastics and swimming lessons 😂). Once we factored that in along with the payment on it, the MY really wasn’t that much more. If you drive your truck a decent amount, I bet you’d see similar numbers. The MY is SO worth it!!

I had a RR Evoque before my model three. I leased the evoque, and doubled my payment to buy the model 3 (put no money down on it) and still saved an average of $18/month between maintenance & Gas. I just sold the 3 and made about $10k on it because of the demand for used cars right now - put that money on a more expensive Model Y.

It's totally worth the upgrade.

I’m only at about $130/mo in gas right now. So with insurance and everything I think it’ll be about $200/mo more, but I expect it’ll be at least 10x more fun to drive. (Haven’t driven one yet 😬). My family thinks I’m crazy, which is why I come here, here I’m normal.

After spending 50 miles in my car, here’s my impressions vs my previous BMW X5

1) Model Y is so fun to drive. Mine is LR but gosh that acceleration is still insane
2) I miss BMW auto soft close door. I feel I need to slam my Tesla doors to properly close
3) BMW premium sound sounds better, especially the bass. Not to say Tesla is bad though
4) The red paint is so gorgeous! I was contemplating red vs white and I’m so glad I went with red. Now I’m so tempted to wrap the whole car with PPF to preserve the paint haha
5) I wish Tesla has top bird eye view camera.
6) After spending long time with BMW, Tesla build does feel flimsy and plasticky

Having said that, I’m still glad I went with Tesla. It might not have the best build, or have lots of bells and whistles but god it’s a monstrous driving machine.

Happy Saturday everyone!

are more new MY owners reporting rear door PPF and mudflap already installed? Maybe that’s a way Elon is rewarding the eternal waiters like us? Haha
My order date as 7/22 and my Edd changed today to 10/24-11/11…wonder if ours Y’s will ride together to the east coast lol.