Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a good idea unless you limited the HPWC to 40A. 48A continuous through a 14-50 could result in melting/fire.

If it wasn't already, any plug in a garage needs to be GFI protected, a pretty expensive circuit breaker.
An EVSE doesn’t need a GFCI. So, while I agree they should downsize that 60a to a 50a breaker due to wire sizing. It should not be gfci for a wall charger, or other EVSE.

Reactions: RyMY
An EVSE doesn’t need a GFCI. So, while I agree they should downsize that 60a to a 50a breaker due to wire sizing. It should not be gfci for a wall charger, or other EVSE.
The latest (2020) revision of the NEC requires 14-50 garage plugs to be protected by a GFCI breaker. It was an optional add-on to the 2017 version, but mandatory in 2020. Relatively few states require GFCI on 14-50 garage outlets for now, but eventually as states adopt the 2020 NEC all 14-50 plugs installed will require GFCI. Which would be fine, except pretty much all EVSE's already have a built-in GFCI. Two GFCI's on the same circuit can - and often does - cause nuisance trips. I'm pretty sure this is why a lot of people are doing hard-wired these days. In my case, Tennessee is on the 2017 NEC and GFCI breakers are not required on circuits with 14-50 outlets. At least, that's what the electrician told me.

Last edited:
Ask for an extended test drive, and take it home and try it out, see how easy or hard it is to reverse. Tesla has mastered low speed accelerator modulation and gentle power delivery. It’s really good. Combined with auto hold that smoothly blends in brakes, reversing uphill is a piece of cake.

What do you currently drive? An automatic combustion car is harder due to fluctuating power levels as engine revs. A manual would be even harder when adding in the clutch - that takes full concentration. If you currently drive a hybrid, it’d probably feel about the same.
I have to co-sign this. I did an extended test drive and it has caused me to have to evaluate whether I am going to install a second charger, as I will have to park nose in to allow the charger to reach. It also helped me to figure out where the cars need to be (wife has a M3) to make sure doors aren’t hitting the other car when kids get out.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Hard to say. I'm putting mine on the back wall of the garage, offset to one side of the garage (because the door is right in the middle). This is the easiest access point from the basement, too. This should allow me to back in on either side or pull in on the right side with the 20' cable being long enough to reach the rear of the car.
Really wish I had done that. At the time of my install (2016) I never thought my wife would get a Tesla, so no need for access from the other side. Never say never…

The latest (2020) revision of the NEC requires 14-50 garage plugs to be protected by a GFCI breaker. It was an optional add-on to the 2017 version, but mandatory in 2020. Relatively few states require GFCI on 14-50 garage outlets for now, but eventually all 14-50 plugs installed will require GFCI. Which would be fine, except pretty much all EVSE's already have a built-in GFCI. Two GFCI's on the same circuit can - and often does - cause nuisance trips. I'm pretty sure this is why a lot of people are doing hard-wired these days. In my case, Tennessee is on the 2017 NEC and GFCI breakers are not required on circuits with 14-50 outlets. At least, that's what the electrician told me.
A 14-50 outlet is not an EVSE. It’s just a regular 240 outlet that anything can connect to, and should have a gfci in a garage. But if you replace the outlet with an EVSE, you should swap the breaker to a non-gfci breaker to avoid those nuisance redundant gfci tripping issues.

They sent me delivery scheduling notice just now and I scheduled for 01-Nov. How do you recommend the balance to be paid? There is a link “Add bank account and pay”.
Is that what you guys did/recommend? Or is it better to just get the certified check and deliver on day of delivery?
I don’t think I even have a SA so cannot ask this question to the DC directly. Any thoughts?
This is apparently a touch less delivery so I am assuming I won’t be meeting any SA at delivery? Damn has covid19 even more now!!
Had plenty of questions to ask them but guess nobody will be present haha
Touchless doesn’t mean that no one will be there, they just won’t be sitting in the car with you going through everything like they used to do (unless it’s a home delivery then no one will be there).

A 14-50 outlet is not an EVSE. It’s just a regular 240 outlet that anything can connect to, and should have a gfci in a garage. But if you replace the outlet with an EVSE, you should swap the breaker to a non-gfci breaker to avoid those nuisance redundant gfci tripping issues.
An EVSE can plug into a 14-50 outlet. My Juicebox 40 does. And it recommends against installing on a circuit with a GFCI breaker. And again, a lot of places don't require this (yet).

They've been doing touchless delivery for a while. In terms of payment Tesla uses Plaid, a pretty widely used service - you can do your own research if you don't trust it. You could, of course, just do check
I just opened another checking account in capital one. I will move money into it prior to delivery. One transaction odd over, I go back to $5.00 balance. I hate giving my salary amount number. I never issue paper checks either. My bank mails a cashiers check for free. I have no idea how secure Tesla’s 3rd party vendor Plaid is.

Reactions: Oldguywaits
June OD???? That’s quite unfortunate!!! Hopefully it should happen soon. Surprised to see June OD still waiting. I think it is now the BLUE color that’s being pushed out. See lot of blues. Maybe after this blue wave you will hit
I may have missed it but I have not seen many (or any) black exteriors delivered recently. Hoping they slip us in with a soon to be delivered group.

Just checked and saw my EDD shifted!!!!
Previous 01-Nov to 07-Nov
Now 28-Oct to 03-Nov
So really hoping to get a call or email tomorrow!!
I ordered 7/3 and just got notified that Im being pushed into December. (MYLR Red)

We already drive a white MY so I get my Tesla fix most days but Id sure like to get my VIN soon.

I did an extended test drive and it has caused me to have to evaluate whether I am going to install a second charger, as I will have to park nose in to allow the charger to reach.
This is exactly why I opted for the 24’ cable, bc the 8’ cable (and possibly even the 18’ cable depending on positioning?) limits how you can park your car. Even tho I almost always back into my garage, I’d much rather the versatility of either pulling straight in or backing in if I want.

This is exactly why I opted for the 24’ cable, bc the 8’ cable (and possibly even the 18’ cable depending on positioning?) limits how you can park your car. Even tho I almost always back into my garage, I’d much rather the versatility of either pulling straight in or backing in if I want.
How did you opt for the longer cable?

I just opened another checking account in capital one. I will move money into it prior to delivery. One transaction odd over, I go back to $5.00 balance. I hate giving my salary amount number. I never issue paper checks either. My bank mails a cashiers check for free. I have no idea how secure Tesla’s 3rd party vendor Plaid is.
I just hit the “Add bank details to pay balance”. Then it takes you to the plaid portion with all banks listed and also a space to type in bank name to search. I just typed in XYZZY and it gave me an option to manually enter the routing # and account #. So now I don’t think Plaid is involved. It’s direct from the bank account to Tesla. It was just like giving the credit card #. I may still change the username and PW for the account after taking delivery. Also watching the account regularly helps

How did you opt for the longer cable?
That’s all the official Tesla website sells now. They used to sell the 8’ and the 18’, then they went to the 8’ and the 24’, now 24’ is the only option. The SC near me sells them, but all they had were 18’ cords, I declined & bought the 24’ online. Better to have too much than not enough is my motto.