Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try to stay calm. My EDD shifted from 11/21-12/5 to 2/8-3/8 six days before I got my VIN on 11/13. I was freaking out! My OD is 7/23.

My MY is on a train heading to Chicago. I should get it around 11/3-12/1. Remember…inner peace.
Here’s a trivia question for the group: does anyone know who first started the phrase “inner peace”?

This question will separate the veterans from the new folks! Hint hint: I am L…

Reactions: samori01
Alright guys, I will need to update my signature at some point. Here’s a recap of 7SAYGDEE3NF310973 (white Model Y LR five seater with black interior, stock wheels, and tow hitch). BLUF: I let go of my VIN and my order’s once again placed on hold until 31 December at the latest, or whenever I click the “I’m ready” button.

Here’s the full story. Since getting assigned a VIN on Thursday, I received a text and email Thursday evening telling me to schedule appointment for delivery pick up. Yesterday (Friday) I was planning on calling, but then received an automated text (and email followup) saying if you do nothing, your VIN will be automatically reassigned to another customer. Cool! Today, they texted me confirmation that the VIN is gone, and that my account is on hold. I checked my account, and sure enough, it’s on hold until I’m ready, or until December 31st, whichever is earlier.

Here’s my full timeline:

7 May: Ordered, did not complete profile, placed on hold
18 Sep: “I’m ready” button pressed, completed profile same day. EDD immediately said October, but new orders at that point had est. delivery of March 2022
22 Sep: EDD went away
15 Oct: EDD 8Feb to 8Mar
27 Oct: EDD 25Jan to 22Feb
1 Nov: EDD 22 Feb to 22 Mar
4 Nov: EDD 17 Jan to 14 Feb
18 Nov: VIN assigned 7SAYGDEE3NF310973
20 Nov: VIN released, order automatically placed on hold

Some analysis and takeaways:
- Being a May order on hold until September placed me in relatively front of the queue. Currently I am not aware of any September LR orders getting VINs.
- Date of hold release to VIN assignment was exactly, EXACTLY two months to the day. Seems like I was on a priority VIN assignment list when another customer could not take delivery, and this was not the original build I was scheduled for (my EDD was two to three months away when I was assigned VIN)
- Once VIN is assigned they wait about 6 hours before they text and email you to schedule
- Once VIN is assigned you have LESS THAN 48 hours before your car is gone. If you’re not checking your Tesla account at least 2-3 times per day, such as a normal functioning adult with a full time job, relying on their text and email will result in far fewer than 48 hours before your car is gone

Skip to today. My mom was nice enough to call Tesla and ask about what all this means. Yes, she’s very personally interested in my Tesla experience, since she’s swung back from ID.4 to Model Y again. She’s a bit indecisive on what she wants, but knows she wants electric. Her conversation summarized:

Q: I’m worried that my May order, which is $8k cheaper than current price, will get cancelled and you guys will make us pay more. Is that a reasonable concern?

A: Tesla will contact you before any orders are cancelled

Q: Tell me more about placing orders on hold

A: As of couple months ago, policy on holds has changed and there’s no more holds. Leave your account incomplete if you’re not quite ready, but know that Tesla is going through old orders and “cleaning up” old orders. At some point in the coming months customers will be asked to complete profile and take delivery, or have their order cancelled.

Q: My son recently had a VIN assigned and he never scheduled delivery, and VIN is reassigned.

A: Every order gets a maximum of two attempts at delivery. The first missed attempt automatically places your account on hold for a while. The second attempt will result in automatically cancelling the order.

This was a lot of info to catch you guys up on. This episode worked out for me okay. Sorry this was just pure reporting of facts from my experience, nothing funny or witty because I’m in business mode. As with everything Tesla, your customer experience might be (wildly) different.

Last edited:
Alright guys, I will need to update my signature at some point. Here’s a recap of 7SAYGDEE3NF310973 (white Model Y LR five seater with black interior, stock wheels, and tow hitch). BLUF: I let go of my VIN and my order’s once again placed on hold until 31 December at the latest, or whenever I click the “I’m ready” button.

Here’s the full story. Since getting assigned a VIN on Thursday, I received a text and email Thursday evening telling me to schedule appointment for delivery pick up. Yesterday (Friday) I was planning on calling, but then received an automated text (and email followup) saying if you do nothing, your VIN will be automatically reassigned to another customer. Cool! Today, they texted me confirmation that the VIN is gone, and that my account is on hold. I checked my account, and sure enough, it’s on hold until I’m ready, or until December 31st, whichever is earlier.

Here’s my full timeline:

7 May: Ordered, did not complete profile, placed on hold
18 Sep: “I’m ready” button pressed, completed profile same day. EDD immediately said October, but new orders at that point had est. delivery of March 2022
22 Sep: EDD went away
15 Oct: EDD 8Feb to 8Mar
27 Oct: EDD 25Jan to 22Feb
1 Nov: EDD 22 Feb to 22 Mar
4 Nov: EDD 17 Jan to 14 Feb
18 Nov: VIN assigned 7SAYGDEE3NF310973
20 Nov: VIN released, order automatically placed on hold

Some analysis and takeaways:
- Being a May order on hold until September placed me in relatively front of the queue. Currently I am not aware of any September LR orders getting VINs.
- Date of hold release to VIN assignment was exactly. EXACTLY two months to the day
- Once VIN is assigned they wait about 6 hours before they text and email you to schedule
- Once VIN is assigned you have LESS THAN 48 hours before your car is gone. If you’re not checking your Tesla account at least 2-3 times per day, such as a normal functioning adult with a full time job, relying on their text and email Will result in far fewer than 48 hours before your car is gone

My mom was nice enough to call Tesla and ask about what all this means. Yes, she’s very personally interested in my Tesla experience, since she’s swung back from ID.4 to Model Y again. Her conversation summarized:

Q: I’m worried that my May order, which is $8k cheaper than current price, will get cancelled and you guys will make us pay more. Is that a reasonable concern?

A: Tesla will contact you before any orders are cancelled

Q: Tell me more about putting on orders on hold

A: As of couple months ago, policy on holds has changed and there’s no more holds. Leave your account incomplete if you’re not quite ready, but know that Tesla is going through old orders and “cleaning up” old orders. At some point in the coming months customers will be asked to complete profile and take delivery, or have their order cancelled.

Q: My son recently had a VIN assigned and he never scheduled delivery, and VIN is reassigned.

A: Every order gets a maximum of two attempts at delivery. The first missed attempt automatically places your account on hold for a while. The second attempt will result in automatically cancelling the order.

This was a lot of info to catch you guys up on. This episode worked out for me okay. Sorry this was just pure reporting of facts from my experience, nothing funny or witty because I’m in business mode. As with everything Tesla, your customer experience might be (wildly) different.
Thanks for the recap. I think it’s super useful info.

I’ve got s scheduled delivery date, but have considered trying to back out until after the first of the year. I appreciate the questions and answers you’ve posted. It helps me better understand Tesla’s policy’s (regardless of how uniformly they are applied).

Deposit for MYLR placed in March. Finalized payment 11/17. My EDD was TBD. Checking this morning and now says 12-11-12/31. I was thinking I’d be getting a June 2022 date but got lucky I guess. We’ll see how it holds up.
This tracks with what I’ve seen on some other blogs/forums/threads/Youtube videos (I can’t even remember anymore, it’s all blurring). Tesla seems to be heavily prioritizing early orders and trying to clear us out! Maybe they’ve had too many complaints about ridiculous wait times, or maybe operating expenses are rising and they can’t afford to keep us on the books.

Funny enough this is almost the opposite of what was happening about three to four months ago. Back then we had some super early order holders pissed because they consistently had EDDs pushed back and newer more expensive orders were getting VINs super fast.

This tracks with what I’ve seen on some other blogs/forums/threads/Youtube videos (I can’t even remember anymore, it’s all blurring). Tesla seems to be heavily prioritizing early orders and trying to clear us out! Maybe they’ve had too many complaints about ridiculous wait times, or maybe operating expenses are rising and they can’t afford to keep us on the books.

Funny enough this is almost the opposite of what was happening about three to four months ago. Back then we had some super early order holders pissed because they consistently had EDDs pushed back and newer more expensive orders were getting VINs super fast.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I’d had a Dec 16-31 EDD until I added freight 10 days ago or so (not sure what to call it, but I paid $750 for the car to be hauled to me since the closest delivery center is over 4 hours away) and now I’m in EDD TBD purgatory. I suspect my real EDD is lurking behind the logistical challenge of adding shipping, but I’m also hoping to wait until 2022 for this vehicle.

It sounds like it’s going to work out for you, fingers crossed the reconciliation/BBB bill makes it through the senate. If it does your net price is going to be pretty sweet once you factor in your ‘22 tax bill! The parliamentarian is surely going to remove a couple items, between this and the likely (my opinion) adjustment of the SALT max deduction provision, it’ll likely get passed before Christmas.

I’m going to have to find something new to obsess about once we get these darn vehicles, lol.

I’ll say this- I’ve had an issue with every Tesla product and delivery/install I’ve ever had. It’s pretty sad actually how much they drop the ball on seemingly simple things…..

With all that said, I’ve found they currently offer the best products and at the end of day always make it right and pull it off one way or another. You may have to put in a bit more sweat equity than you’re used to though. Hopefully this changes, if not, I am by no means married to tesla and if a better product comes along I would consider a change.
I have to agree with all of this. The original Model S had a lot of problems. I give Tesla a lot of grace about it since they were a newbie at the time and probably unable to procure the highest quality parts. They also manufactured a whole car as a start up. That’s hard!

But I can’t excuse some of the processes that have been instituted. Fortunately products today are largely great so service shouldn’t be required much.

Service experience sucks, plain and simple. But there are no cars I’d choose over a Tesla yet.

I went in and talked to an SA a couple of days ago about delaying my delivery until January. I'm currently scheduled for 11/24. She said that my vin would be released and every week or so if a new vehicle matched my configuration, I would be assigned a new vin. I would then need to tell them to release that vin. She said I could continue to do this until the new year, but I had to keep releasing the vins.

Of course she couldn't guarantee that new matches would be available soon, so who knows when my next delivery would be available. The wife is concerned it could be another 7 month wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickTM
OMG……………IT…IS…WORTH…THE…WAIT!!!!
You will love your car!!!😍😍

Scheduled pickup 11am, text from Tesla says I can come earlier but I have to wait on my ride. I get there at 11.
Rockville SC for any MD folks, your car will be sitting there with flashing lights. The app will auto update. Your name is in the window. You just go open it. Scream for joy! (I embarrassed my family)
Fill out paperwork.
you will forget the checklist…I did. I had given everyone jobs to do to inspect the car. Two of us stared at the car, one of us actually looked at the checklist (not me). 😀
Car had lots of little sticky bits, plastic, stuff in several places. Two scratches. Called the service guy over, he cleaned the car to perfection. No scratches! Why they don’t get that off before they take it out, I don’t know but Claude is the man.

I go inside to hand in paperwork, hand over the check, I get the two key cards. Come back to the car and ugh I see one teeny tiny dent. I show it to Claude, he calls service manager, he logs a ticket, he assures me it will get fixed. It is maybe half of my pinky fingernail, at very bottom of car. I take pic with Inspect T app. SM also has me log it on my app.

Ready to go…..I’ve forgotten how to get the car to move. Have to calm down. Figure it out, drive to family’s house (large driveway, I live in condo w/ garage….so better to add all my accessories in daylight). Perfect drive. Love the car!

Wrestle with floor mats, finally get them in place. Add seat covers. Add matte screen cover.
I check app, notice that my supercharging miles have shown up. Yippee!
I get email about 1 year premium connectivity. Ready to go home.

2nd drive ever in My car….perfect. The car is huge. Get to parking space (one floor underground in garage…was worried about connectivity)….car still has LTE signal. Charge for the 1st time. Wall connector works!!!! Silent scream of joy in garage so as not to scare neighbors. Over 7 hours I go downstairs the “visit” the car 5+ times. i thought maybe I’ll get better photos of the dent…..I can’t find it. Use phone flashlight, can’t find it. Go back upstairs for headlight, look again, can’t find it. Now I’m embarrassed that I showed it to them. I’ll take it out to parking lot in sunlight today and look again. So whatever happens, I can probably live with it since I can’t even find it again.

I’m working this weekend, get called to work at 1am. 3rd drive, I get on beltway, floor it a couple of times, give myself whiplash 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 very easy to speed in this car.
I pre-warm the car before I leave work. Get home with perma-grin on face.

The car is a joy to drive. I was nervous about driving it earlier this week, that’s mostly gone.
oh….I’m one pedal driving 90% of the time.😃

Love My Tesla!!!
jeez..post is long, so sorry. I’m done. Sitting in solidarity with all waiting for your MYs.