Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen several comments on this site saying that $8K doesn’t mean a lot to high earners, but I don’t think this is true. People who make a lot are often savvy on their taxes and an $8K credit is hard to turn down unless you are uberrich. Maintaining wealth requires financial acumen, and tossing aside $8K is the opposite. I have personally observed wealthy colleagues drive a few extra miles to a cheaper gas station, so believe these behaviors are ingrained whether it is a few dollars or a few thousand.

I suppose I understand the argument that if you really need the car now that the $8K might not be worth it. But even then, one could temporarily rent on Turo or take over someone’s lease for a few months and still wind up ahead. Plus, ordering a car from Tesla requires a certain amount of flexibility since these cars could arrive next month or next year.

I know everyone’s situation is unique so I’m not trying to be judgmental here. I’m just curious what is motivating people.
I’m leasing per my accountants advice. Self employed and will be a 100% business expense. Leases don’t qualify for credit, so I’ll take whenever. Thought about having my accountant run #s on if I purchased and got the $8k, would I be better off than my deductions from leasing.
But, honestly, the cars $6k more now then when I bought it, $TSLA been good to me, sold my M3 for more than I bought it for 2.5 years ago, who knows if this thing will pass, Christmas is coming up, and I’m tired. Just give me my sh%* so I can move on 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Leases don’t qualify for credit
When Teslas still qualified for the tax credit, they would add the $7500 tax credit to the residual value of your lease which lowered the depreciation part of the payment. It's not as good as lowering the cap cost because you would pay interest on the higher average balance over the life of the lease, but you still got the lion's share of the credit.

Another downside was if you bought out the lease at termination, you would pay them back for the $7500 they added to the residual after having paid interest on it.

Last edited:
When Teslas still qualified for the tax credit, they would add the $7500 tax credit to the residual value of your lease which lowered the depreciation part of the payment. It's not as good as lowering the cap cost because you would pay interest on the higher average balance over the life of the lease, but you still got the lion's share of the credit.

Another downside was if you bought out the lease at termination, you would pay them back for the $7500 they added to the residual after having paid interest on it.
Buyout on Tesla lease is not an option. You have to return the car at the end of the lease. As far as the $8000 credit is concerned I am interested in that however given that I have a red model Y with white seats that combo is pretty rare and therefore I am taking delivery hopefully at the end of this month.

Buyout on Tesla lease is not an option. You have to return the car at the end of the lease. As far as the $8000 credit is concerned I am interested in that however given that I have a red model Y with white seats that combo is pretty rare and therefore I am taking delivery hopefully at the end of this month.
I have a buyout on my 2019 Model S lease. I think the no buyout lease is for Model 3 because they are going to be used as an internal robotaxi fleet by the end of 2020, not sure about Model Y.

Found this:

Purchase Your Tesla​

You may be eligible to purchase your leased Tesla. Review your lease agreement to see if you qualify.

Eligibility

• Model 3 and Model Y are not eligible at this time.
  • Third-party dealerships and third-party individuals are not eligible to purchase leased vehicles.

Fees

• A purchase fee of $350 applies to cars delivered after April 13, 2019.
  • Local taxes and fees apply.

Last edited:
I have a buyout on my 2019 Model S lease. I think the no buyout lease is for Model 3 because they are going to be used as an internal robotaxi fleet by the end of 2020, not sure about Model Y.

Found this:

Purchase Your Tesla​

You may be eligible to purchase your leased Tesla. Review your lease agreement to see if you qualify.

Eligibility

• Model 3 and Model Y are not eligible at this time.
  • Third-party dealerships and third-party individuals are not eligible to purchase leased vehicles.

Fees

• A purchase fee of $350 applies to cars delivered after April 13, 2019.
  • Local taxes and fees apply.
Thank you. I should have clarified buyout on Model Y is not an option. Assumed this statement would apply to model y only since it’s a model Y thread. Guess not… 😂

So just as a heads up, for anyone who's taken delivery recently and stuck on 2021.35.102 (possibly other versions are affected as well), you might want to take a look at this thread:

Apparently there is a bug where if you enable Sentry mode, it can disable the subwoofer to save battery and won't re-enable it when you start the car back up. Rebooting the car sorts the issue, at least until the next time there is a sentry event when the car is parked. I've disabled sentry mode for now, at least until I can get on the latest software release, and I'm hoping I won't have the "no bass" issue anymore.

I'd gladly take the no bass rather then give up sentry mode
hah, well, hopefully it's just for another week or two until Tesla deems my car worth of a software update. Besides, most times the sentry alerts consist of 1) nothing at all, 2) someone walking by at a distance, not even interested in the car, 3) me actually approaching the door to open it. Also, with the version of software the car's on right now, remote sentry viewing isn't even a thing so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

Funny moment of the day for me, when this lady pull up to the Knoxville Tesla Supercharger with her Mustang Mach-E. She got out and legit, tried to plug her car in. Needless to say, she took the drive if shame. Soon enough we will be seeing this folks.

Attachments

• 023CFF0D-ED46-45D9-9895-80FEE4DAC540.jpeg
    023CFF0D-ED46-45D9-9895-80FEE4DAC540.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 939FC933-DF35-49ED-BB8F-4BB5147968F5.jpeg
    939FC933-DF35-49ED-BB8F-4BB5147968F5.jpeg
    721.1 KB · Views: 78
  • BFD0EC8C-5166-4343-B7CA-C243F3110DB3.jpeg
    BFD0EC8C-5166-4343-B7CA-C243F3110DB3.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 85
Funny moment of the day for me, when this lady pull up to the Knoxville Tesla Supercharger with her Mustang Mach-E. She got out and legit, tried to plug her car in. Needless to say, she took the drive if shame. Soon enough we will be seeing this folks.
That’s really unfortunate! I hope you (or some other nice people) were there to talk to her and explain to her Electrify America, CCS, and other charging basics. But this is really a matter of poor dealer communication. I have no doubt that at some point she was at a dealership asking if the Mach E can supercharge, and the salesman responded with something to the effect of: “uh, sure, of course”.

I’d be pretty surprised if the supercharger cable was even long enough to reach her charge port.

That’s really unfortunate! I hope you (or some other nice people) were there to talk to her and explain to her Electrify America, CCS, and other charging basics. But this is really a matter of poor dealer communication. I have no doubt that at some point she was at a dealership asking if the Mach E can supercharge, and the salesman responded with something to the effect of: “uh, sure, of course”.

I’d be pretty surprised if the supercharger cable was even long enough to reach her charge port.
Several owners got out and talked with her. I wasn’t charging, I was parked finishing up my my morning coffee. I’m sure they were more than respectful and helpful to her. Hope you are well!

Heard it is a real issue where they are testing charging any car using Tesla supercharger. Seems Tesla battery charge is on the drivers side and most other electric cars charge on the passenger side. Well, since charging cable won’t reach, they have to back in or use the charger on other side. 😱