Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody who put a car on hold BEFORE they were assigned a VIN taken it off recently? I always assumed when you go off hold you go to the back of the line, which would mean July or something, but I think I've seen people say they've been assigned a car immediately. But maybe they were folks who'd been assigned a VIN or had multiple or extensive holds; the folks Tesla is trying to crack down on a little bit.

Do we have any cases for what to expect if you put on a hold earlier in the process when you say you're ready?

Reactions: PatrickTM
One-ish month update time! We're just shy of 3000 miles despite doing a lot of air travel since picking it up. This is such a joy to drive in all scenarios...except having to find the "Tesla worthy" parking spot to avoid dings when parking lots are full hah ha. Stop and go? Put on Autopilot. Best car for that. Highway? Put on Autopilot. Best car for that. Spirited driving? I get home fast as every with those groceries! And it's like Christmas Day all over again whenever people ask to see it and they react to all its features and such. It's exciting.

Also, we finally got our first software update. 2021.44.6. We're not home to explore them, but I got the push notification and was a giddy little kid getting to update it remotely. My wife just rolled her eyes. I don't believe it's the UI refresh people have reported because I think that's 2021.44.25. Maybe we'll get that soon.

Has anybody who put a car on hold BEFORE they were assigned a VIN taken it off recently? I always assumed when you go off hold you go to the back of the line, which would mean July or something, but I think I've seen people say they've been assigned a car immediately. But maybe they were folks who'd been assigned a VIN or had multiple or extensive holds; the folks Tesla is trying to crack down on a little bit.

Do we have any cases for what to expect if you put on a hold earlier in the process when you say you're ready?
My experience since coming off hold has been fairly rapid VIN assignment.

Well, after getting a VIN last Friday (EDD range at the time was 12/31-1/28), everything happened very quickly and I picked up my car on Saturday. She's absolutely gorgeous and driving her is a dream (her name is Serenity). It would have been nice to have a bit more of a heads-up on the timing, but I can't complain.

My delivery experience was positive, but somewhat different from a lot of the stories I've seen on here. When I got to the Renton DC (just before 4:00 pm on Saturday), I spotted what I thought might be my car in the parking lot, but there were no signs with names. I went inside and told them I was there for a delivery appointment, and someone went out with me to the car and walked me through the paperwork and everything. It was too dark to really inspect everything, but I took a closer look the next day and the only issue I found was scuff on the trim. Road/wind noise on the freeway also seemed louder than what I remembered from my test drive in August. I've got a service appointment scheduled for both items on January 4th.

Now the only problem is that I still have to work, when all I want to do is drive my car and install new accessories...
View attachment 746855
Thanks for posting. After reading this, I am already missing the car that I haven't received yet :)

I don't believe it's the UI refresh
I got it too couple days back.
Here are release notes:

Reactions: loggedout

I think I'm in this case - I ordered 7/31, put mine hold on right away (so was never assigned a VIN) - took it off hold on 12/11 after getting the cancelation email - and my EDD has been showing June this whole time.
Are you still on hold?

Reactions: Wigan

I have never received a VIN. Hold taken off on 11/28. No EDD yet. Same config as you. Back of the line is fine with me, but I’d happily take a vehicle sooner if its available.

There are a few recent posts in the August 2021 order date thread mentioning a delay in producing white models, so if true, that may be a significant factor in the lack of an EDD.

Last edited:

You get put back to the same spot in line when you put the hold on. Order date is what takes preference to vin assignments. This was confirmed by multiple Tesla SA.