Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current differences between US and EU version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I stand corrected about the lights. (Still think there placement/ implementation could be better but....)

But the Parking Sensors are new correct?

I wouldn't have known about the door bottom lights if not for this thread, which I actually thing is kinda odd since it already has the downward pointing lights on the handles.

Parking sensors are new. As far as I know, the North American cars still don't have 'em, nor do they have the "cold weather" option.

Parking sensors are indeed new. We saw them at the factory tour. When asked whether it was possible to retrofit NA cars, our guide said there were some issues such as a lack of a wiring harness. I would assume these are being added to newer cars though.

The two features which appear to be genuinely new (apart from the Mennekes charging port) are:
- parking sensors
- heated rear seats
- heated wipers

Of these three, heated wipers are the one I'm most envious of. I really expect the wipers in my model S to require a blowtorch to melt out one of these days, due to the recessed wiper compartment. I wonder if the heated wipers can get retrofitted.

Of these three, heated wipers are the one I'm most envious of. I really expect the wipers in my model S to require a blowtorch to melt out one of these days, due to the recessed wiper compartment. I wonder if the heated wipers can get retrofitted.

Agreed. You can't stand them up to prevent freezing, and you can't even lift them a bit for snow clearing the way they're tucked under the cowl. We once had a Dodge Caravan that heated the bottom couple of inches of the windshield with rear window-style defroster lines and I thought that was a great idea.

What I noticed from the videos and in general:

There's a new overhead console with revised microphones. I much prefer the look of the newer version. I hope I can retrofit it.
Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 05.44.29.png

The rear turn signals blink amber. I've imported Euro tail lights (and headlights) for my cars because of this and the ECE headlamp beam pattern. Retrofit of this is probably next to impossible, due to the change in the charging connector.

Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 05.47.20.png

Up front, the lower light housing/trim does NOT have an amber reflector (which is a DOT regulation) nor does it appear to have a marker light. I hope I can change this on my car. I hate amber reflectors.

tesla-nose-cone-tow-hook.jpg

Agreed. You can't stand them up to prevent freezing, and you can't even lift them a bit for snow clearing the way they're tucked under the cowl.

Yeah. The worst part of it is, the "wiper cubby" isn't heated by the normal car heating! (In response to a suggestion I received to preheat the car.)

Perhaps the simplest workaround is to leave some sort of cover over that area when parking outside in winter.

But if Tesla Motors is listening, I would pay a lot for a heated wiper / heated washer nozzle retrofit.

When asked whether it was possible to retrofit NA cars, our guide said there were some issues such as a lack of a wiring harness.

I asked Jerome Guillen this specific question as TESLIVE and he said that almost all North American spec cars should have a wiring harness that should support the sensors. I confirmed this with another Tesla employee. So, unless you are incredibly unlucky, your car should technically support it. However, to clearly set expectations, Jerome also said that there was only one machine in Fremont that punches the holes, and that any retrofit was liable to be "prohibitively expensive".

I asked Jerome Guillen this specific question as TESLIVE and he said that almost all North American spec cars should have a wiring harness that should support the sensors. I confirmed this with another Tesla employee. So, unless you are incredibly unlucky, your car should technically support it. However, to clearly set expectations, Jerome also said that there was only one machine in Fremont that punches the holes, and that any retrofit was liable to be "prohibitively expensive".

Gotcha. Of course it's probably the early cars (Sig etc.) that don't have the harness.

However, to clearly set expectations, Jerome also said that there was only one machine in Fremont that punches the holes, and that any retrofit was liable to be "prohibitively expensive".

Sheesh. After-market shops drill these things in all the time. I'd be willing to sign a waiver and let a Tesla SC drill holes (as long as my car does have the harness and it's not hugely expensive).

On my TESLIVE plant tour, the guide said that the US cars didn't have parking sensors because Elon and JB hate how the punched circles look. In Europe, however, the car is so big that even they accepted that customers required sensors. There were two EU spec cars by the delivery area, one white and one Sig red. On the white, the sensors were painfully obvious. On the red (and, by extension, any darker color), they were nearly invisible.

On my TESLIVE plant tour, the guide said that the US cars didn't have parking sensors because Elon and JB hate how the punched circles look. In Europe, however, the car is so big that even they accepted that customers required sensors. There were two EU spec cars by the delivery area, one white and one Sig red. On the white, the sensors were painfully obvious. On the red (and, by extension, any darker color), they were nearly invisible.

That's Apple thinking. The consumer should decide. I don't think they look bad because they're so commonplace on just about every other car these days.

Actually, I specifically asked at TESLIVE if a Canadian Signature would have the needed wiring and he answered without hesitation YES, it would. So I don't know what vehicles wouldn't -- maybe those without the tech package?
Signatures in the range [00729,00729] most likely don't have the wiring.

- - - Updated - - -

Current differences between US and EU version?
Am I the on only one who constantly thinks "infrastructure and charging rate" when I see this thread title?