Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current inventory vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did a search for current inventory of model 3’s in Southern California and seeing a few long range awd ones in blue and red at various delivery centers. These appear to be new with no mileage listed and are 2020 models. I ordered white but Given that a lot of people haven’t gotten their orders yet - including me - why would they have cars for immediate delivery instead of giving them to orders made a month or longer ago? I’m sure someone in SoCal has to be waiting for a blue or red awd long range car still???

You'd have to ask Tesla, I can give a guess

If they're sending a truck or a train full of cars, they want it to be *full* of cars. They need to balance getting the cars to customers ASAP vs packing in those trucks to reduce transportation costs.

Let's say a truck fit 8 cars, they may have 6 pre-purchased heading to your city. They have a choice to: wait until 2 more people near you order and their car's requested exact spec is built, ship partly empty, or pop in 2 unsold cars and send to the local center for inventory sales.

Since they are all AWD models I bet they are cars that were designated to buyers who at the last minute switched to a stealth model and freed up these cars for sale. I predict they will all be gone before midnight.

but why not offer them to people waiting instead of giving them to a brand new order? If I found a white one could I call Tesla and switch and get immediate delivery of one of those instead of waiting for mine?

but why not offer them to people waiting instead of giving them to a brand new order? If I found a white one could I call Tesla and switch and get immediate delivery of one of those instead of waiting for mine?

Because cars are being flooded into local delivery centers now so there really isn’t much wait anymore other than waiting around for your delivery coordinator to assign your vehicle to a time slot. And there may not be an exact match for the few cars in inventory being listed for sale. I only see blue and red models. So there would have to be an exact match at the current center the vehicles are sitting at for it to be assigned to someone else. We are only talking about five cars spread across four delivery centers.

Probably because a lot of time has gone into preparing the paperwork already for those owners waiting to be assigned a VIN and delivery date would be my guess. The stores like having a few inventory cars on hand. They make for quick EOQ sales. And let’s face it there are always people who suddenly before the end of the quarter decide they should have ordered before and now want a car now.

So I put my M3 order in on 11/18. Still no VIN, but things seem to be progressing (they asked for my delivery availability a couple days ago). Now I see an existing inventory model available (with an assigned VIN) that meets all my existing order specs at my delivery location. Should I click “buy” to hold it and talk to my advisor in the morning about canceling my existing order? I want to get the rebate this year and I’m on pins and needles with the waiting.

I'm a completely different market from you, but my observation is that inventory does not mean immediate availability.

Cars that appear on the website in batches means they're destined for a particular region. For us that means about 1 month away from actual service center (for registration and delivery) given transport and logistics.

Some cars from that batch might appear and disappear and reappear over the course of a day. Or worse you might end in a double-booked (or more) situation due to delayed issues of deposit payment, cancellation, etc.

Generally cars that show up on inventory do not last long, as demand still outstrips supply and they get matched or otherwise purchased by new customers.

I found out by having bought cars, and being told the cars mysteriously no longer exist, or having these cars disappear and reappear from my account (deposit having already been paid!!).

I'm surprised with so many people actually working for Tesla in sales, nobody's really come out and shared how it truly works.

Either way, their inventory management seems to be a mess - not truly real-time, and the staff aren't fully forthcoming with complementary/supplementary information on customer orders.