Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current S60 owners - how’s battery/ supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your reply! And very good point. Actually, I had upgraded to MCU2 right before the trip. It might be related.
It's definitely related to MCU2 which results in higher vampire drain on pre-Q2-2015 cars. See quote from wk057 below about this.

wk057 said:
"What they don't tell you about the MCU2 retrofit is the higher vampire drain on pre-Q2-2015 vehicles because the battery packs don't have the standby power supply DCDC which powers the MCU's standby power and body control module directly from the HV battery. The standby supply means the main contactors can stay open (saving ~20-30W IIRC). Without it they have to stay closed, a pump has to run to cool the DCDC, etc. (Yeah, a pump has to run any time to contactors are closed to circulate coolant through the DCDC... so... yeah).

MCU2 was only originally installed in cars with this standby supply and seems to behave... oddly... in cars that don't have it. As in, it stays awake more than it should."

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Vinc
Thanks for your reply! And very good point. Actually, I had upgraded to MCU2 right before the trip. It might be related.

My battery is still under warranty until late September. I am going to keep a daily log to see what the average drain is.
Quick follow up. I reached out to Tesla and they checked out the health of the battery remotely. They said that the battery is healthy and nothing needs to be done. So it looks like 3-4% daily drain is within the expected behavior. Oh well…

Funny, they also said that they had noticed an unusually high number of requests in the past few days, so they suggested not to use any third party apps to access the car, which can drain the battery unnecessarily. The funny part is that yes, this was me, but just using the official Tesla app about once a day… to communicate with them and to keep track of the drain so I could tell them.

Kind of like the joke about the guy going to the doctor saying “it hurts when I do this”, and the doctor replying “then don’t do that”.

Quick follow up. I reached out to Tesla and they checked out the health of the battery remotely. They said that the battery is healthy and nothing needs to be done. So it looks like 3-4% daily drain is within the expected behavior. Oh well…

Funny, they also said that they had noticed an unusually high number of requests in the past few days, so they suggested not to use any third party apps to access the car, which can drain the battery unnecessarily. The funny part is that yes, this was me, but just using the official Tesla app about once a day… to communicate with them and to keep track of the drain so I could tell them.

Kind of like the joke about the guy going to the doctor saying “it hurts when I do this”, and the doctor replying “then don’t do that”.
So you don’t have third party apps? Are you the original owner of the car?

So you don’t have third party apps? Are you the original owner of the car?
I have Tesla Remote for the Apple Watch widget, but otherwise I have not opened it for months.

I got the car used a good 4 years ago from somebody who had bought it as CPO, back when that was still a good thing. The battery drain got a good test right off the bat. When I purchased the car, it sat unplugged for well over a month until I could go and pick it up. If I remember correctly, the previous owner didn't even leave it charged to 100%, and it still had plenty of range to go to the nearest supercharger when I arrived.

So maybe is the MCU upgrade, or it is software related (if we take Tesla's word and the battery is in good health), but certainly something has changed.