Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Aluminum Rotors - A possibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
Here's the address and information to send the checks to Dave. Once he's received the 10th payment he'll start moving forward with production.

**Please include and indicate your TMC member screen name with your payment**

Make the check payable to Dave Levy and mail to:

ATTN: Dave Levy
Cedar Ridge Fabrication
15707 NW McNamee Road
Portland OR 97231 USA

Phone: 503-621-9670
Fax: 503-621-9670

Dave also gave me his cell phone which I don't think we need, nor do I want to post it due to web scrapers and privacy. However if you need it feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Got my check filled out - putting it in the mail today.

Great Adiggs! Sent mine out as well. Other members also PM'd me to say they sent their payment in the mail, so thanks a bunch everyone.

Dave the fabricator wanted to ask if anyone wanted to have a set of CarboTech brake pads bundled with their rotors. I don't know what the interest is but if we have enough interest Dave will contact CarboTech to see what type of deal they can pass along to us. If you have interest in this, let us know as well as if you would like the AX6 Autocross or Bobcat 1521 Street compound. Once I see how many are interested via this thread or PM I'll forward that off to Dave and see what the pricing comes out to be. I'll be running the same AX6 pads I put on at 6,000 miles, they still have plenty of life left and wearing flat so there's no need for a new set. I'll just sand down the pad surfaces and bed them in again when the new rotors arrive.

Great Adiggs! Sent mine out as well. Other members also PM'd me to say they sent their payment in the mail, so thanks a bunch everyone.

Dave the fabricator wanted to ask if anyone wanted to have a set of CarboTech brake pads bundled with their rotors. I don't know what the interest is but if we have enough interest Dave will contact CarboTech to see what type of deal they can pass along to us. If you have interest in this, let us know as well as if you would like the AX6 Autocross or Bobcat 1521 Street compound. Once I see how many are interested via this thread or PM I'll forward that off to Dave and see what the pricing comes out to be. I'll be running the same AX6 pads I put on at 6,000 miles, they still have plenty of life left and wearing flat so there's no need for a new set. I'll just sand down the pad surfaces and bed them in again when the new rotors arrive.

Yes, I'd be interested in that. I would just have to go out and buy them anyway, and I'd be likely to screw up and buy the wrong ones.

I mentioned this separately in email, but I'm also interested in the 1521 CarboTech street compound pads; I'm always in for saving a few bucks, and will be changing pads at the same time the new rotors go on (so a package deal, like ggr, saves me the opportunity of getting the wrong pads :))

I would also be interested, was going to get new pads at the same time. Dave is awesome!

Carbotech

I would also be interested, was going to get new pads at the same time. Dave is awesome!

I would be interested in a set of pads to start new all around. I would go for the Carbotech AX6, though my current set have seemed to wear fast (and I don't drive aggressively). Carbotech already offered a small discount if you mentioned the Tesla Motors Club—if Dave gets a better deal that would be awesome. I am going to be needed new pads soon, so I hope the rotors can be fabricated in the near future!

My check went out s few days ago.

David

LAST CALL: Please send payment now to be included in this Custom Rotor Order

All, this is the last call to be included in this custom rotor group buy we have going. If you have any technical questions or would like to have a discussion please use this existing thread. However to be included in this production run/order, please communicate that in the thread below:

LAST CALL to ORDER: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

**If you have not sent your payment, please do so ASAP or you will be removed from the list**

Im interested in a set of light weight aluminium Rotors, what do they weigh? what improvements have people experienced in performance, handling acceleration? any times etc? has braking improved? any drawbacks?

Here's the thread for the 2 piece rotor order: Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

I don't have the numbers but they are buried in one of these two threads and if you search them you should be able to find the difference in weight, the weight that's lost is due to the center hat that's usually made of cast steel made of aluminum and its all about unsprung weight. As for times nobody did any comparisons and its not something that you're going to shave seconds off your 0-60 times by one single improvement. However when combined with other things like forged rims, adjustable suspension, and like what I did put in monoball bushings, then everything starts to work together and become improved by the reduced weight. Biggest improvement is braking, no more uncertanties when braking at high speeds or pushing your braking hard through twisty turns which begins to heat your rotors / pads and reduces your braking performance. CarboTech pads were a great improvement over stock, but honestly, they're just a band-aid to the real issue, the braking system that was / is flawed from the stock Roadsters when you push the car the way it was designed to be, a supercar.

After installing the CRF 2 piece rotors I had asked Titanium Dave to make for us Roadster owners, based upon the design he was using for those racing the Elises/Exiges on the track, all that uncertainty of will this car stop when its being pushed are gone. For myself there's no more to do here with the braking system for daily street driving where you push the car hard and mild track use with the Roadster.

Its the cheapest insurance policy as well and why risk smashing up the Roadster on an known under-designed braking system that should have been flagged from the beginning, where any repair of the Roadster will cost you $3k or more and invest in a nice set of 2 piece custom slotted rotors.

Lastly the Roadster will need rotors sooner than later since it will start warping them if ran with the stock pads for too long, mine warped in the rear at only 6k miles! The OEM replacement cost from Tesla is around the same price of what it costs to buy these 2 piece custom rotors.

Here's the thread for the 2 piece rotor order: ...
He's talking about aluminum rotors including the friction disks, not just the hats.

There was a short discussion here a few years ago about possibly making some custom aluminum rotors. The manufacturing process sounded difficult (read expensive). They have to be cast from a special alloy that has a higher melting point than most aluminum variants. In the end they didn't sound like they'd be worth it.