Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom horn not working? [boombox only works in park due to NHTSA mandated recall]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GiFer

M3 SR+ ordered May 15 '21
May 22, 2021
Miami Lakes, FL
Anyone having a problem with their horn and the latest update? My custom horn turns off every time the car is placed in drive 🤷🏻‍♀️

I was really excited to try some different custom sounds and now it doesn’t even work with the preloaded ones 😭

Can someone help?

The NTHSA mandated sounds on EV's for backing up and going forward at slow speeds. Then they took away this additional functionality of sounds. They're idiots. Would have been nice to down the road make our Tesla sound like an ICE muscle car while driving.
Just imagine every car on the road being able to make its own sound. Just because Tesla is the first production car to be capable of that doesn't mean it will be the last. Imagine every idiot that now drives a muscle car that they've souped up to be loud having the capability to make stupid sounds as they go. It needed to be stopped before it even started. It's funny when one car does it, it is an annoyance and a hazard when millions of cars can do it.

Upvote 0
Just imagine every car on the road being able to make its own sound. Just because Tesla is the first production car to be capable of that doesn't mean it will be the last. Imagine every idiot that now drives a muscle car that they've souped up to be loud having the capability to make stupid sounds as they go. It needed to be stopped before it even started. It's funny when one car does it, it is an annoyance and a hazard when millions of cars can do it.
Well, obviously there still will be laws covering how loud and what type of noise can be played, just like with ICE vehicles. But I'd still like my Tesla to should like a throaty V8 every once in a while.

Upvote 0
Well, obviously there still will be laws covering how loud and what type of noise can be played, just like with ICE vehicles. But I'd still like my Tesla to should like a throaty V8 every once in a while.
How loud? Silent. What type? None. It is NOISE. We don't need any more noise. All cars that make noise currently are just one-offs, custom mods, and are probably illegal anyway. Now multiply that by the number of Teslas sold and you can see the problem if even 1% of owners do it. And isn't a silent car one of Tesla's selling points? They call the rally in South Dakota "The Sounds of Silence".

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: sorphin and Resist
Upvote 0
But you Tesla doesn't have a throaty V8. The experience of owning a domestic with a V8 is more than just the noise. It's the vibration and shake of the engine when you mash the throttle. Your Tesla can never do that nor should it as I just don't understand why anyone would want to emit fake nose from their car. Some people may appreciate the sound of a nice V8 driving by but nobody is going to appreciate a digitized noise from an EV.

Upvote 0
But you Tesla doesn't have a throaty V8. The experience of owning a domestic with a V8 is more than just the noise. It's the vibration and shake of the engine when you mash the throttle. Your Tesla can never do that nor should it as I just don't understand why anyone would want to emit fake nose from their car. Some people may appreciate the sound of a nice V8 driving by but nobody is going to appreciate a digitized noise from an EV.
🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

Upvote 0
I disagree!

• Disagree
Reactions: GrayFawkes and MCM3
Upvote 0
Although completely unnecessary, I loved the custom horn. It's really disappointing it's gone. It was a hit amongst neighbors, friends and people curious about Tesla's in the parking lot. We all loved it. However, when I was stopped at a red light with 3 motorcycles this afternoon, their sound systems were completely overpowering and drowning out any sounds sitting at the traffic light. I find it hard to believe the crazy loud music from outside sound systems doesn't impact pedestrians being able to hear cars. Just a rant, but really? Why can't the NHTSA be focused on actual safety issues vs the horn.... Fun police? I think so.

Upvote 0
Just say you e ember actually heard it being done... The car radio with the windows down is literally louder. A cars engine next to you is louder, pipes are louder, should car manufacturers disable radios next because "it's sound!" Smh it was fine. And why does it matter what sound is made as long as a sound is made for pedestrian awareness at low speeds and reverse. Rather a sonar or gallop do you not know something is approaching?

Upvote 0
Just say you e ember actually heard it being done... The car radio with the windows down is literally louder. A cars engine next to you is louder, pipes are louder, should car manufacturers disable radios next because "it's sound!" Smh it was fine. And why does it matter what sound is made as long as a sound is made for pedestrian awareness at low speeds and reverse. Rather a sonar or gallop do you not know something is approaching?
And you're not annoyed by cars being turned into boomboxes? I am. Cars like that are custom modified. Car engine louder? There are noise laws in NY State about that. A car radio with the windows down? No way is that louder than Tesla boombox.

The roads are already too loud, and you would want them to be made louder? No thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: sorphin
Upvote 0