Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Battery and Powertrain Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t see a dedicated thread for this, so please use this thread to discuss expectations and thoughts on Cybertruck’s battery and powertrain.

We know from the Motortrend article that the powertrain closely resembles, if not being identical, that of the Raven Model S/X and the tri-motor version will closely resemble Plaid. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed to read this. I was really hoping for four independent PM motors (Model 3 motors) for each corner (2 for the RWD variant). But using the same powertrain across multiple vehicles is how Tesla must be able to keep the cost down.

As for battery, I’m guessing:

- 250mile: 100kW
- 300mile: 125-150kW
- 500mile: 225-250kW (double stacked 300mile range battery)

Discuss! And please try keep this thread on-topic. There are plenty of other threads to gripe about looks.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I like the tri-motor route because they won't have to invent new tech and delay production. Keep it simple and deliver what's worked in other vehicles.

I'm guessing it's a 240kw battery pack with the 2170 cells. We haven't seen the 2170s in the s or x yet to know how much range a 100kw pack will generate.

I didn’t see a dedicated thread for this, so please use this thread to discuss expectations and thoughts on Cybertruck’s battery and powertrain.

We know from the Motortrend article that the powertrain closely resembles, if not being identical, that of the Raven Model S/X and the tri-motor version will closely resemble Plaid. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed to read this. I was really hoping for four independent PM motors (Model 3 motors) for each corner (2 for the RWD variant). But using the same powertrain across multiple vehicles is how Tesla must be able to keep the cost down.

As for battery, I’m guessing:

- 250mile: 100kW
- 300mile: 125-150kW
- 500mile: 225-250kW (double stacked 300mile range battery)

Discuss! And please try keep this thread on-topic. There are plenty of other threads to gripe about looks.
Yeah, agree on the number of motors but being affordable is more important than anything. I’ll take that Tri-motor ASAP!

Do "long range" and "performance" Model S/Xs have the same rear motor that is software limited? Or are they physically different? In order for the dual motor AWD Cybertruck (which is supposedly a Raven drivetrain) to hit <4.4s 0-60, it must be using the "performance" version of the rear motor (if it's physically different), as the standard "long range" version only pushes a 5,400lb Model X at 4.5s 0-60.

Also, if a long range Model X is 5,400lbs, then the dual motor AWD Cybertruck must be at least 6,000lbs.

Do you think they’ll do a non-performance long-range version? I’ve preordered the dual motor, which has plenty of performance for my purposes, but I’d love the longer range battery pack, which I’d think would get even more than 500 miles pushing one less motor. A $20k premium seems a bit steep just so I could outrun Porsche’s.
I too would like the 500 mile range in a two motor truck. It would be nice if Tesla would allow us to configure our trucks early from a wide list of options/configurations. There are options that people would cheerfully pay to add that they might not now be considering. It is hard for me as a Tesla newbie to estimate what it would cost to add the extra battery. It would be worth 7K or so to me. I would guess that Tesla would make an extra grand or two on the sale. We would both be happy!

I too would like the 500 mile range in a two motor truck. It would be nice if Tesla would allow us to configure our trucks early from a wide list of options/configurations. There are options that people would cheerfully pay to add that they might not now be considering. It is hard for me as a Tesla newbie to estimate what it would cost to add the extra battery. It would be worth 7K or so to me. I would guess that Tesla would make an extra grand or two on the sale. We would both be happy!
Unfortunately tho, adding more options to the configuration adds complexity for Tesla, thus increasing the price. Mass production = lower prices for all.

A dual motor long range and a tri motor long range would increase the price of both options

Unfortunately tho, adding more options to the configuration adds complexity for Tesla, thus increasing the price. Mass production = lower prices for all.

A dual motor long range and a tri motor long range would increase the price of both options
No it would not. I am going to call the bottom part of the CT the "pan". As the pan moves down the assembly line the workers will add the wheels, motors and battery. When they install the battery they will either install a 200 mile, 300 mile or 500 mile battery. Making the pan smaller or larger to fit the different batteries would increase the price for all the trucks. That is one reason why I think they will use the same pan. It would also raise costs to install different seats or to put in extra storage or do anything else that would use up that space. I think they will have 3 battery modules. If you get the 200 module it will be installed in the middle of the pan. A 300 mile will use 2. One on either end of the pan and a 500 mile will fill the pan.

I believe they will offer a dual motor 500+ mile variant 4-6 months after they run thru the Tri motor orders. Just like they did for P100DX -> 100DX.
Oh, didn’t realize that. Good to hear. I’m new to the party with my Model 3. I would think that LR dual would be a really popular combo. Truck guys already fetishize the 4x4, so a rear motor alone wouldn’t be as attractive as the dual. And range anxiety will be a real issue for a lot of new EV truck buyers, who will already be wowed by the performance of a dual motor. Come to think of it, those are the exact reasons I bought my dual motor long range non performance Model 3. Seemed the sweet spot in the lineup. No regrets here.

I believe they will offer a dual motor 500+ mile variant 4-6 months after they run thru the Tri motor orders. Just like they did for P100DX -> 100DX.

The 500 mile version will likely be a double-stacked mid-range battery and will be much heavier (there are diminishing range returns as you add batteries due to added weight). Put that on the dual-motor version, and it will be slower and less capable than the standard dual-motor version. Part of the reason the 500 mile range variant gets the tri-motor powertrain is because it needs more power to move the extra weight around. I doubt we'll see a 500 mile dual motor version.

The 500 mile version will likely be a double-stacked mid-range battery and will be much heavier (there are diminishing range returns as you add batteries due to added weight). Put that on the dual-motor version, and it will be slower and less capable than the standard dual-motor version. Part of the reason the 500 mile range variant gets the tri-motor powertrain is because it needs more power to move the extra weight around. I doubt we'll see a 500 mile dual motor version.
Except for the fact that the dual motor version will have more than enough power to easily carry the weight and still outrun almost every ICE truck.

Except for the fact that the dual motor version will have more than enough power to easily carry the weight and still outrun almost every ICE truck.

Right. But I just don’t see Tesla making a long-range dual motor Cybertruck that is slower and that tows less than the current mid-range dual motor configuration. An extra 125+ kWh of battery isn’t light.

Right. But I just don’t see Tesla making a long-range dual motor Cybertruck that is slower and that tows less than the current mid-range dual motor configuration. An extra 125+ kWh of battery isn’t light.
You may be right I'm just hopeful of a Dual LR.
Tesla doesnt seem to be following the typical tow rating formulas that ICE vehicles typically follow.
Isn't the Semi using 4 induction motors to handle 80K gross? So, asking a dual motor CT with a perm rear and induction in gront ( guess)to tow 14k is peanuts (20k gross?). If they derate a dual motor for towing, it's for marketing and margins, not capability.

Reactions: beachmiles
I think it would be smart of him to offer it, but I tend to think that the extra motor is not the major cost, it's the extra batteries. Is there an amount for the upgrade that you would opt for the dual motor? Let's say the upgrade from LR dual to tri is only $2k. Would you just go with the extra motor at that point?

Reactions: outdoors
I think it would be smart of him to offer it, but I tend to think that the extra motor is not the major cost, it's the extra batteries. Is there an amount for the upgrade that you would opt for the dual motor? Let's say the upgrade from LR dual to tri is only $2k. Would you just go with the extra motor at that point?
I'd easily change from the 2m I bought to a Long Range 2m if the price was less than $5k.
(I mentioned in another thread I live in Indialantic FL and graduated from Auburn. The distance from one to the other is 490.6 miles, almost 8hrs of drive time.)

Is there an amount for the upgrade that you would opt for the dual motor? Let's say the upgrade from LR dual to tri is only $2k. Would you just go with the extra motor at that point?
As it stands I am going to pay $20,000 for the extra range. I don't need three motors. I don't need 14,000 lbs towing. I don't need (or want) 2.9s 0-60.

So upgrading the dual to a 500 mile long range for anything under $20,000 would be what I would take.

Point taken. Although over the years we have seen options reduced primarily to streamline production. It seems like it would be easy to simply put the larger batter pack into a dual motor configured truck, but then again, I'm not an engineer and have no idea of the extra cost it would take to do such a thing. I'm hoping Tesla offers more configurations to please a larger slice of the market. We shall see, but for me, I drool at 2.9 second 0-60, but in the end the 500 mile range is how I'm selling it to my wife. ;)