Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck in sub. -30C temperatures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any knowledge on possibility of leaving truck in cold temperatures? 200kw capasity should make this possible, and truck use in the north would reguire this. I ordered, but I'll need to sort this out before final desicion.
You cannot charge the battery if the temp is that low. So it has to be plugged in to keep it warm or you need to be comfortable with 40% less range and the inability to charge until it is warmed up. A model S will warm the battery pretty fast with hard driving, like within 15 minutes.

Would be realtively simple to install an 110v aftermarket external battery warmer. Similar to the block heaters common in the frozen countries.

Elon was asked what would happen if their cars were subject to such temperatures. Said that while Tesla would loose range, the ICE engine typically would not start :)

Would be realtively simple to install an 110v aftermarket external battery warmer. Similar to the block heaters common in the frozen countries.

Seems like a waste of time and money - the car can heat the pack more efficiently and control the heating better through the coolant if it's plugged in to the power line directly instead of using an external heater pad.

Hopefully the pack is well insulated...

I lived in North Dakota for 4 1/2 years stationed at Minot Air Force base My vehicles always started 35 to 40 below sitting for 9 to 12 hours not plugged in. I would always try to plug in when I could. There were times when I couldn't plug in. I even had the engine block heater go bad it still started I was stationed with a guy who had a Diesel that had fuel warmers He would flip a switch in his Truck and keep the fuel lines warm while not plugged in. Tesla should do the same thing A small 12 volt heater for the battery pack Could be a button on the screen to turn it on.

Better end result, as it’s variable and can produce up to 7 kW of heat for the battery pack. :)

Does it do this by default, or do you need to navigate to a supercharger in order to activate it? When navigating to a supercharger, I can hear unusualy sounds from the motors. I have never heard those sounds otherwise, even when regen is mostly disabled due to cold battery.

Does it do this by default, or do you need to navigate to a supercharger in order to activate it? When navigating to a supercharger, I can hear unusualy sounds from the motors. I have never heard those sounds otherwise, even when regen is mostly disabled due to cold battery.

It heats the battery when it needs to. It does this when navigating to a Supercharger to maximize charging speed, which is pretty important in terms of user satisfaction and charging network throughput.

As I experienced first hand last year before Supercharger navigation heating was added, it will charge very slowly (cold battery) or not at all (below freezing battery). Extended northern trips took significant planning.

Regen isn’t a necessity that’s worth automatically expending energy for. It will heat itself up enough to provide some regen, but not beyond that.

The car heats the battery when the car feels it is appropriate.

This summer Tesla changed it so that the car heats the battery to a higher temperature when you go to a Supercharger than otherwise, but it will still heat the battery without going there if the pack is cold enough.

Right now the only control you have besides navigating to a Supercharger is Range Mode, which reduces battery heating and allows a wider range of battery temperatures.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
From the owners manual:

"Temperature limits
Do not expose Model S to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a time."

I sure hope it's different with bigger batteries. Do you guys have experience with tesla policies? Can you have trouble with warranty ?

How Cold Is Cold?

60 Californians put on sweaters (if they can find one)
50 Miami residents turn on the heat
40 You can see your breath, Californians shiver uncontrollably, Minnesotans go swimming
35 Italian cars don't start
32 Water freezes
30 You plan your vacation to Australia
25 Boston water freezes, Californians weep pitiably, Minnesotans eat ice cream, Canadians go swimming
20 Politicians begin to talk about the homeless, New York City water freezes, Miami residents plan vacation further South
15 French cars don't start, Cat insists on sleeping in your bed with you
10 You need jumper cables to get the car going
5 American cars don't start
0 Alaskans put on T-shirts
-10 German cars don't start, Eyes freeze shut when you blink
-15 You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo, Arkansans stick tongue on metal objects, Miami residents cease to exist
-20 Cat insists on sleeping in pajamas with you, Politicians actually do something about the homeless, Minnesotans shovel snow off roof, Japanese cars don't start
-25 Too cold to think, You need jumper cables to get the driver going. Your car helps you plan your trip South.
-30 You plan a two week hot bath, Swedish cars don't start​
-40 Californians disappear, Minnesotans button top button, Canadians put on sweaters,
-50 Congressional hot air freezes, Alaskans close the bathroom window
-80 Hell freezes over, Polar bears move South
-90 Lawyers put their hands in their own pockets

I live in Northern Ca, so I don't have a ton of experience with cold weather, but the limited experience I've had at 0deg F with an X showed the doors being a little problematic from frost. I would guess anything movable like the CTs vault door not working at all in snowy or freezing conditions. Our Cabin gets freezing rain, which seems almost worse with movable components, so I'll most likely need to remember to leave the vault open in most situations if I want access to it the next morning or bring a blow dryer and melt the ice with the CTs plug in the bed :)