Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Range Edmunds Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regen counts for about 30% of the power that is used while driving.
9 years in 3 teslas and no way it’s close to 30%.

There is no difference in wh/mi in my model 3 with regen set to low or normal. The only time regen adds noticeable energy is going down long moderate grades. On steeper grades the regen overheats and stops adding energy, this happens with my SR in Hawaii heading down from my cabin.

Reactions: Nack
Then why does range reduce significantly when you have regen turned off?

View attachment 1021934

1.6kWh regen out of 5.27 used.

This has been measured.
You are picking out one ~30 km drive that you did 10% worse then rated range. Makes me think there was some major up and down hill in this drive.

When I leave my house and drive ~1000 vertical feet (~300m) down to the city I gain 0.7-1.2 kWh, doesn’t make a difference if I’m in regen low or regular. I’ve done it a few times “freewheeling it” when I try and modulate it to use no regen and allow the car to roll free (up to 70Mph in a 45…). And get lower wh/mi then if I regen.

Yes regen is better then friction brakes but in the big picture does almost nothing to add range in most real world driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
9 years in 3 teslas and no way it’s close to 30%.

There is no difference in wh/mi in my model 3 with regen set to low or normal. The only time regen adds noticeable energy is going down long moderate grades. On steeper grades the regen overheats and stops adding energy, this happens with my SR in Hawaii heading down from my cabin.
You wouldn't normally see it. It's not going to add mileage to the car. And it's gone from one traffic light to the next. But it is the deceleration to the traffic light offsetting the acceleration from the traffic light.

All I'm doing is repeating what others have experienced and the experts say. If it was nearly worthless, then why have it?

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
You wouldn't normally see it. It's not going to add mileage to the car. And it's gone from one traffic light to the next. But it is the deceleration to the traffic light offsetting the acceleration from the traffic light.

All I'm doing is repeating what others have experienced and the experts say. If it was nearly worthless, then why have it?
Regen only "adds" to range on long down hill runs, as long as the SOC starts out mid range or low. It does NOT add any range with city driving. none.

• Disagree
Reactions: UrsS and israndy

Because it does help "some" increasing overall efficiency. But I agree with the others. I've been driving EV's for 10 years, and a 30% addition is just not in the realm of reality. However, I think the best benefit aside from the driving experience is the increased life of the brake components. I'm currently at 150k with the original brake pads, and lots of life left. The brakes will likely last as long as the car.

Reactions: Nack and coleAK

If it adds that much switching regen from regular to low should have a noticeable effect on range. Which it doesn’t.

Because it does help "some" increasing overall efficiency. But I agree with the others. I've been driving EV's for 10 years, and a 30% addition is just not in the realm of reality. However, I think the best benefit aside from the driving experience is the increased life of the brake components. I'm currently at 150k with the original brake pads, and lots of life left. The brakes will likely last as long as the car.
100% agree. Having Regen does a lot of good. Saves brake pads for sure, also helps me to drive slower on the streets in general, as I anticipate light changes and let the Regen slow the car down before applying the brakes to stop. So I’m a safer driver. It becomes a different and better way to drive. Love it. But like I said, it doesn’t ‘’add’’ and range. 9f we’re talking micro-fractions, maybe it offsets a few electrons, but not add anything.

I turn my Regen to Low on the freeways because it’s too strong for freeway driving. I don’t want someone rear ending me because the car slows down to quickly. Plus I have found when using cruise control that with the Regen on high, the slows way to quickly the. When the lane opens up, it speeds up way to fast, so the blow setting is much better.

Reactions: Nack and FLRifleman
You really going to try that?

First, my cars don't lose range when sitting in a garage, they actually gain range. (You never mentioned that they weren't plugged in)

Point? Most ICE vehicles use a LOT of power to do nothing.
My 3 after one of the updates in the last year loses 10-20% sitting parked at my cabin for ~48 hours. I lost 18% Friday evening to Sunday afternoon 3 weeks ago.

Reactions: TessP100D
My 3 after one of the updates in the last year loses 10-20% sitting parked at my cabin for ~48 hours. I lost 18% Friday evening to Sunday afternoon 3 weeks ago.
Sentry mode was on at your cabin? Think the bears will vandalize it, wanna catch them in the act? You can turn that off at home you know so you don't lose range OR as was said above you can plug in so when you go to leave you have a full tank, that's kinda the beauty of an EV. Are you guys just all new to EVs or something?

Reactions: finman100 and UrsS
Sentry mode was on at your cabin? Think the bears will vandalize it, wanna catch them in the act? You can turn that off at home you know so you don't lose range OR as was said above you can plug in so when you go to leave you have a full tank, that's kinda the beauty of an EV. Are you guys just all new to EVs or something?
No sentry mode. I never have it on. It was -20F to -35F. My cabin is off grid only electric is from solar/wind/battery bank so plugging in wasn’t an option.

I’ve had an EV (s then 3) for 9 years. Some time in the last year the “cold weather update” made it to where the car uses a ton of electricity to condition the battery.

And bears do break into cars all the time. That’s why us in the know never leave any type of food in our vehicles. Up here though, Bears won’t be a concern for probably another two months it is Bear nappy time right now.

growing up in Tahoe. I worked two summers for the forest service in Yosemite. I saw small black bears rip windows out of cars all the time For a bag of chips or a candy bar. Now imagine what a brown bear 10 times in size could do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nack
You really going to try that?

First, my cars don't lose range when sitting in a garage, they actually gain range. (You never mentioned that they weren't plugged in)

Point? Most ICE vehicles use a LOT of power to do nothing.
If you have your car plugged in great.

How about at the airport for two weeks?

Or how about visiting grandma?

The point in ICE don’t have vampire drain.

• Disagree
Reactions: finman100 and Nack