Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Germany bans Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it really matter if available in Europe? Over a million orders in the US… more added daily… enough orders to surpass any export requirements for many years
Over a million refundable deposits at a much lower than announced price point with superior specs. Let’s see how many of those end up actually being converted to real orders. I doubt this thing we’ll be a big seller for Tesla when there are better EV trucks already available.

Does it really matter if available in Europe? Over a million orders in the US… more added daily… enough orders to surpass any export requirements for many years
It doesn't matter.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla was/is never planning to sell the CT in current form in the EU.
Many reasons there are basically no full-size pickups there. F-150 is a top selling vehicles and numbers are essentially from the US. Market is big enough without worrying about trying to sell in EU where trucks don't sell. Maybe soon we will have the cooler-wanted cars that EU/Japan can't have vs. the other way around.

It doesn't matter.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla was/is never planning to sell the CT in current form in the EU.
Many reasons there are basically no full-size pickups there. F-150 is a top selling vehicles and numbers are essentially from the US. Market is big enough without worrying about trying to sell in EU where trucks don't sell. Maybe soon we will have the cooler-wanted cars that EU/Japan can't have vs. the other way around.
Interestingly Ford seem to sell them in other non-USA places tho. ie. Australia

tNL9adv.jpg

Over a million refundable deposits at a much lower than announced price point with superior specs. Let’s see how many of those end up actually being converted to real orders. I doubt this thing we’ll be a big seller for Tesla when there are better EV trucks already available.
Time will tell… but my guess is half will convert to purchases… still many years of production just in US

Six safety professors and officials, who analyzed crash test videos presented during a webcast delivery event, expressed worries about potential harm to pedestrians, cyclists, and other vehicles on the road, Reuters wrote in a recently published article.

One of the most important rules that all carmakers who want to do business in the EU must follow, is that the front of the car cannot be stiff, meaning it has to have a proper crumple zone to reduce the impact of the crash.

"Much of the concern was focused on those outside the Cybertruck. "If you have an argument with another car, you will win," Musk said."
This vehicle belongs in a Mad Max movie. Not on the suburban street shared with pedestrians and cyclists. The front of the vehicle backed by 4 tons of steel would cut through a crowd of spectators like a 9-iron through grass. I hope Tesla has a large reserve set aside for legal fees - they are going to need it.

This vehicle belongs in a Mad Max movie. Not on the suburban street shared with pedestrians and cyclists. The front of the vehicle backed by 4 tons of steel would cut through a crowd of spectators like a 9-iron through grass. I hope Tesla has a large reserve set aside for legal fees - they are going to need it.
There is literally *no* difference in pedestrian safety with the Cybertruck and any of the other millions of heavy trucks on the road. Zero.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Australia isn’t in the EU (Europe). It is its own content (Australia) which is very different and very far from Germany and the UK.

And yes pickups are common in Australia. But per the discussion here, not in EU (Europe) where Germany and the UK are located.
No reason to jump all over me. I said this. "Interestingly Ford seem to sell them in other non-USA places tho."

No reason to jump all over me. I said this. "Interestingly Ford seem to sell them in other non-USA places tho."
bring in Australia was way off topic because like the US trucks are some of their most popular vehicles. It makes sense Ford sells trucks there, The Ford ranger is the #1 vehicle sold in Australia (#2 is the Toyota helix).

Mid and Full sized pickups are not common in most parts of Europe.

• Disagree
Reactions: scottf200
How often are bigger US type pickups on the road in the Europe. I suspect it is pretty uncommon. I just came back from 2 weeks in France and I saw maybe 2 Chevy Pickups. And they were not the monster versions we have in the US with a 5-passenger cab and a big bed. They had a 3 people seating in the front and a 4–5-foot bed and barely fit in a typical French parking spot.

How often are bigger US type pickups on the road in the Europe. I suspect it is pretty uncommon. I just came back from 2 weeks in France and I saw maybe 2 Chevy Pickups. And they were not the monster versions we have in the US with a 5-passenger cab and a big bed. They had a 3 people seating in the front and a 4–5-foot bed and barely fit in a typical French parking spot.
Saw this very recently that shows the evolution from truck to SUV+truck:
"American pickup trucks have evolved! Once known for their spacious beds and rugged functionality, they’re now embracing larger cabins and comfort, becoming the go-to family 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 car across North America. 🛋🌟 From hauling to carpooling, pickups are driving the modern family forward."

vMEwiTe.jpg

Reactions: jboy210
Saw this very recently that shows the evolution from truck to SUV+truck:

vMEwiTe.jpg
Thanks for the image. I think that reflects the change in usage of pickups in the US. So many of them are never used for work. They might only see something in the bed when someone takes something to storage or buys a few bags of mulch once a year at Home Depot. Me, I use my 5-seater X for those tasks.

In the south of France I remember seeing a few RAM and a Raptor.

On the pedestrian safety argument - I looked at the EU regulations. They specifically allow vehicles with any front design you want so long as you have pedestrian avoidance technology. So much better to avoid hitting pedestrians, than running them over, no matter how "soft" the front hood and windshield are.

Here are many of the myths as to why the Cybertruck can't be sold in the EU and the specific regulation text: Cybertrucks for Europe? – TeslaTap

• Informative