Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CyberTruck vs/compare to other vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Practicality operating costs primary concern, some basic assumptions:

In the next 3 years or so.
~$40,000 to $50,000 budget.
EV because of operating cost (so you probably drive 17,000 to 20,000 so these costs matter).
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck [any other you'd consider??].

Seems the only downside of CyberTruck might be the large size? I guess 3 row Model Y might carry an extra kid(s).
Seems CyberTruck might well be the last vehicle you ever need to buy (consider those savings over your life time).

Anyone wishing to share actual comparisons to specific other vehicles please share details.
I think you get the jist of what I'm suggesting.

sidenote: IF/WHEN autonomous driving and the Tesla RoboTaxi Network gets started will any other makers compete for your hard earned money?? just something to think about as future offerings still unknown

I hate to say it, but if that is your budget you should not get a CybrTrk. Taxes, insurance and finance charges will exceed your budget.
right on - I was thinking MSRP and my fault for failing to mention.

Current drive is '89 900 Saab - and I won't be buying another car in my life time - bikes & perhaps a rental car?
Both my Saabs 1976 & '89 were used. Never buy new & never borrow money for a car - UNLESS a business asset/write-off.
In fact I never borrowed money - most paid more in just sales taxes & interest payments for all their cars than I did total for both Saabs.
No one follows my pattern, I don't think. Only my obsession with cars and manufacturing and mechanical things motivates me to read far too much about cars/racing/manufacturing/marketing. And I've always done all the maintenance on my two Saabs.

So what would you buy if not the Cybertruck and why. OR are you avoiding car ownership in the future?

Last edited:
So what would you buy if not the Cybertruck and why. OR are you avoiding car ownership in the future?
If I were on a budget I would buy used as I mostly did all my life. The Cybertruck (or Rivian, I've pre-ordered both) make absolutely no financial sense for me. I'm buying because I want one and at this point in my life (no kids to leave money to) I can afford to splurge. It is not a course of action I recommend.

I think it is wise to buy this vehicle IF you need any vehicle, and can afford this one. The operational costs will be lower than another vehicle (except if you buy another Tesla-type). AND the peace of mind should have a significant financial dimension.
I usually buy something brand new, treated it right, and buy a new one 10 yrs later. Peace of mind.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
While on this subject, I've been wondering, in general, how do Teslas compare in insurance costs compared to similar vehicles? I pre-ordered the cybertruck and was assuming a modest increase in insurance over other gas powered pickups but have no idea.

While on this subject, I've been wondering, in general, how do Teslas compare in insurance costs compared to similar vehicles? I pre-ordered the cybertruck and was assuming a modest increase in insurance over other gas powered pickups but have no idea.
the truth is unknown. But in general hear is how I see it.
it is going to be much more expensive to fix the TUV if its body is damaged compared to a conventional body.
However the largest part by far of your insurance is for bodily injury. Let's say you total your TUV, but all the airbags and *sugar* make it so you walk away. Well your insurance is out $60 grand. Now let's say you wrap your car around the same tree, and you eat the engine, and spend three moths in the hospital, $300,000($100,000/month).
Now another scenario...you have all the FSD stuff available....so "you" now probably for insurance purposes have a significant wreck one-fourth as often.
Well, your insurance should be less.
But throw in capitalism at its finest and for several years Insurance companies will charge you extremely inflated premiums because they will claim they don't have enough data to assess the true risk.
So it boils down to how hard the insurance companies can screw you, and for how long. Big E is said to offer insurance lower than most insurance companies because Tesla knows the risk, and stands by it. But don't expect them to not use the other guys insurance quotes to increase their profit margin even if they know the risk is much less.

it is going to be much more expensive to fix the TUV if its body is damaged compared to a conventional body.

However the largest part by far of your insurance is for bodily injury. Let's say you total your TUV, but all the airbags and *sugar* make it so you walk away. Well your insurance is out $60 grand. Now let's say you wrap your car around the same tree, and you eat the engine, and spend three moths in the hospital, $300,000($100,000/month).
Now another scenario...you have all the FSD stuff available....so "you" now probably for insurance purposes have a significant wreck one-fourth as often.
But throw in capitalism at its finest and for several years Insurance companies will charge you extremely inflated premiums because they will claim they don't have enough data to assess the true risk.
So it boils down to how hard the insurance companies can screw you, and for how long. Big E is said to offer insurance lower than most insurance companies because Tesla knows the risk, and stands by it. But don't expect them to not use the other guys insurance quotes to increase their profit margin even if they know the risk is much less.

Fine assessment, I agree.
EXCEPT the body damage part: Flat panels, just cut them out and replace, weld them up. Flat panels much cheaper than stamped panels.

You could even be cheap about it and NOT use hardened stainless (like those junk yard color mismatched doors you sometimes see on cars). But that will be years down the road when a cybertruck has little value on the used market, perhaps only to a very small contractor or a kid.

You completely forgot the paint issue, or lack thereof.

Looking at some quotes to fix a dent on our Model 3, the largest single cost is the collection of costs related to paint.
Get rid of those costs and the costs of even serious damage drops precariously.

Also, the time-to-repair is massive effected by the timescales related to paint. Get rid of the paint and fix cars in a day or so instead of several weeks.

You completely forgot the paint issue, or lack thereof.

Looking at some quotes to fix a dent on our Model 3, the largest single cost is the collection of costs related to paint.
Get rid of those costs and the costs of even serious damage drops precariously.

Also, the time-to-repair is massive effected by the timescales related to paint. Get rid of the paint and fix cars in a day or so instead of several weeks.

Right, and any idea the added cost if someone precariously drops and dents a bucket of paint? Or worse yet, drops a bucket of precariously dented paint. Those costs can add up tout de suite, pardon my French.........

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Brando

bodily injury is one of the cheapest parts of my auto insurance. The most expensive piece of my insurance has always been collision coverage. I agree the insurance companies will leverage everything they can to screw us. I bought a new car last March. I made it half a mile off the lot when someone hit me going 75 plus mph while I was sitting still. Totaled but was a nice car for a few minutes. The fights with both insurance companies reenforced my hatred of them. It is one necessary cost of ownership though. I don’t really care Which part is the most expensive, just wondering how Tesla’s compare in general to conventional, comparable vehicles

• Love
I wish I could find the article, but a guy who has maintained high-end stainless appliances for 30 years wrote a good article on how easy stainless steel is to repair and keep looking great. He also pointed out that brushed stainless is much cheaper to maintain than any painted surface.

• Helpful
I wish I could find the article, but a guy who has maintained high-end stainless appliances for 30 years wrote a good article on how easy stainless steel is to repair and keep looking great. He also pointed out that brushed stainless is much cheaper to maintain than any painted surface.

I bought and restored a delorean about 15 years ago. The stainless panels are amazing and trouble free. So easy to maintain. The frame which is made of mild steel and coated with some sort of epoxy coating is a big problem. The epoxy just holds teh oisture in. Stainless is one reason I want one of these trucks.

Fine assessment, I agree.
EXCEPT the body damage part: Flat panels, just cut them out and replace, weld them up. Flat panels much cheaper than stamped panels.

You could even be cheap about it and NOT use hardened stainless (like those junk yard color mismatched doors you sometimes see on cars) .
I WAS WRONG [note that @drcarric2650 spotted my error before I did - thank you!]

This is a more detailed (dare I say engineers point of view) of CyberTruck exoskeleton design.
This video will also point out how important doing proper stainless steel repairs are required for structural integrity.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier