Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damp cloth on super charger handle to reduce ramp down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theirs a reason why there is a sensor in the cable. So it doesn't over heat due to temperature. Artificially introducing a lower temp at the sensor is complete idiotic.

I think it's likely that the sensor is in the handle because that's the component that's at risk of overheating due to a less-than-optimal connection. That is, if the connection between the handle and the car is loose (such as a worn socket on the car), corroded or dirty, or just poorly seated, that can generate excess heat - potentially a great deal of heat depending on the situation and the current level. I think that's what the temperature sensor is designed to detect. I think it's unlikely that the conductor in the cable is at risk of overheating. They likely engineered the cable so that it can safely handle the maximum current load for a sustained amount of time. If the cable itself was at risk of overheating, they'd have sensors in the cable that couldn't be fooled just by keeping the handle cool. And, it would probably be cheaper and more reliable just to make the cable of heavier gauge than to install sensors within it.

So, what about using the wet towel method to keep the handle cool? Sure, you're hacking it to some degree, but it's not as if you're "tricking" the sensor with an artificially-low reading. The wet towel method works because it actually keeps the handle cooler than it otherwise would be. It's cooling the handle (not just the sensor) via evaporative cooling, preventing it from getting too hot to safely operate. At least that's how I see it.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
How does one determine if a supercharger is V2 or V3?
If you look at the details for the Supercharger at Find Us | Tesla , if it mentions up to 250 kW, then it is v3.
upload_2020-8-20_7-25-56.png

You can also get that information from supercharge.info :

upload_2020-8-20_7-26-59.png

Note that the 72 kW Superchargers are "urban" Superchargers. The 150 kW Superchargers are v2.

You can also get this information if you click on the Supercharger using the car's navigation screen:
Inked20200820_072955_LI.jpg

Perfect! Didn't know which kW #s matched which type of SCs. Very helpful. I've only supercharged a handful of times, so it isn't as big a deal to me. It appears that this is a topic of MAJOR concern though in this forum. From what I'm reading, it actually doesn't matter much once you hit about 50% SOC. At that point, from what I can tell, all the SCs throttle down to about 70-100kW anyway, more once you hit 70% SOC and then again at 85/90%. The only time it appears to matter is from about 20% to 40% SOC. That's when you get the full 250kW as I understand it.

Reactions: captanzuelo
I think you’re right. In your case, the hot sun probably raised the handle temp up a few a lot. It was a 114 degree day when I charged, but I was parked in a covered spot.
Consider that someone may have just unplugged in the last few minutes as well. Cold or at least damp towel can start helping it cool down and prevent a slow charging session.

• Helpful
Reactions: VikH and scottf200