Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dang, I don't know which is worse...trying to buy a PS5 or Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found it best to bookmark the page and just check it every time you open up a browser. I've gotten a few "hard to get" items that way. I end up getting emails a day or 2 later (if at all) telling me stuff is in stock, but by then I've already ordered it.

FWIW, no luck on a PS5 for me ;)

PS 5s are definitely harder to get, if you dont want to pay a scalper (which i refuse categorically to do). It took me from the launch of the PS5 (late nov 2020) till may of 2021 to get one from a regular retail establishment (bestbuy). That was with doing stuff I dont normally do, like joining discord servers, signing up for notifications from various retailers, etc.

I was waiting for homelink to come back in stock as well, and placed my order today as soon as I got the notification, and it went through.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc and WhiteWi
PS 5s are definitely harder to get, if you dont want to pay a scalper (which i refuse categorically to do). It took me from the launch of the PS5 (late nov 2020) till may of 2021 to get one from a regular retail establishment (bestbuy). That was with doing stuff I dont normally do, like joining discord servers, signing up for notifications from various retailers, etc.

I was waiting for homelink to come back in stock as well, and placed my order today as soon as I got the notification, and it went through.
As if by fate, I went back to the website and I was able to order it! Huzzah!.

So, yes, PS5 is definitely harder.

Reactions: WhiteWi
FWIW, I believe teslas operation on this seems to be better than before. "before" the tesla store would just take orders, not tell anyone anything was backordered, and stuff would either come fast, or take weeks or even a month or more to ship.

At some point, they started basically operating a bit more like a real store (although like an online store from 10 years ago, rofl) by at least showing things out of stock when they are not available.

I am so spoiled by Amazon or other shippers who ship things that arrive in just a couple days, this still feels archaic. With that being said, I recently ordered a keyfob from them and the experience was decent. It was out of stock, so I signed up for notifications. A week later I got a notification it was in stock (keyfob) and ordered it. It shipped out in a day or two after that, and I got it a day or two after that.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I got the e-mail that Homelink was back in stock but was stuck in a meeting. I was able to get to my email 2 hours later only to find it already sold out. Good lord.
I probably was one of those suckers who bought before you had a chance. Ordered as soon as I got email. Sorry. Got an Xbox series X last year by chance at the Best Buy. Still can’t catch PS5 :(
PS.
Glad ya all were able to get it as well!

I probably was one of those suckers who bought before you had a chance. Ordered as soon as I got email. Sorry. Got an Xbox series X last year by chance at the Best Buy. Still can’t catch PS5 :(
PS.
Glad ya all were able to get it as well!
I was able to get a ps5 after registering for their direct buy lottery. Took two months or so for them to draw my name. You also have to be opted in to receive PlayStation emails, as they contact you by email to arrange your buy-time.

Link here: Register to buy direct from PlayStation | PS5 restock | PlayStation

I got the e-mail that Homelink was back in stock but was stuck in a meeting. I was able to get to my email 2 hours later only to find it already sold out. Good lord.
I was lucky enough to find one for sale on eBay. New in box, never opened and original Tesla part. $300

Transaction all went well, Tesla installed no issues what so ever.

If you find one just make sure it’s still in the original sealed Tesla box.

FWIW When I placed my order for the HPWC last month it was out of stock. It arrived three weeks later.
Still waiting for my MYLR. The HPWC is Tesla ready in my garage.

Attachments

• Tesla Wall Charger in Garage IMG_7810.JPG
    Tesla Wall Charger in Garage IMG_7810.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 47
I was able to snag one yesterday, will sell it to you for $950 US+ tax. :rolleyes: now if I can only get me some Model S mud flaps I will be content. They should have accessories reserved for new car buyers/owners which would close the eBay crap rather quickly. Just for the heck of it, take a peek here. The Cyber Whistle is Always BO and this is why. eBay Cyber Whistle.

Just ordered a homelink as well. Haven’t been using the garage lately as I’m still waiting for my MY, but once it finally shows up I can see getting annoyed having to unlock my phone to open the garage. Better to get it now while it’s still in stock. 😬

Reactions: CrimsonO2
I was able to get a ps5 after registering for their direct buy lottery. Took two months or so for them to draw my name. You also have to be opted in to receive PlayStation emails, as they contact you by email to arrange your buy-time.

Link here: Register to buy direct from PlayStation | PS5 restock | PlayStation
This is how I obtained a PS5 as well. EVGA had a similar system for GPU's that worked reasonably well, albeit the wait at least for me was quite a bit longer (months for GPU vs weeks for the PS5).

There do seem to be a couple of Homelinks on Ebay, used of course, for a reasonable price. Self installing doesn't look difficult, you take a few bits apart in the frunk area, plug it in, and can either zip tie or double sided sticky tape, and get an SC to activate it for you.