Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dang it Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
I mean... ugh.

IMG_951B97BFDFE7-1.jpeg

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC and KJD
Relax, folks. Tesla ain't no Toyota (both start with a "T" and end with an "a."). But I received a nearly perfect copy the other day, save for a tail light refitment appointment this coming Tuesday.

That paint (looks like oil) could be from them attempting to lube up a roughly-working door hinge. There have been many reports of doors that need extra force to open and close. So, they're replacing it, and on their dime. And maybe also fixing something else along the way that isn't as it should be.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's paint overlap? We received ours and had these nasty dark tar looking things everywhere but they were all removable (just be gentle). We did get actual chips that went down to the bare metal so the car still needed to go the shop but there were still these random tar looking thing all over the body.

Are you sure it's paint overlap? We received ours and had these nasty dark tar looking things everywhere but they were all removable (just be gentle). We did get actual chips that went down to the bare metal so the car still needed to go the shop but there were still these random tar looking thing all over the body.
I don't know, but it looks like the OP pictures are puddles of paint not tar or oil. But its hard to tell without seeing it in person.

Did they indicate how long something like this will take to fix? I don’t know much about car body work, but this looks more complex than repairing a chip or scratch.
I already had to book a service appointment for other service issues so this will be added to the list. There is a tiny spatter on the interior of the door frame but it's not really visible so I will probably let that go. The rocker panel trim piece will have to be replaced though as there's no way they are going to be able to remove hardened automotive paint without ruining the part. If I was really anal about things I would demand that they also wet sand and touch up the door frame and hinges where paint is splattered but as it is inside the door jamb and I will rarely see it I don't care about that element of this botched paint job.

My delivary day is the day after tomorrow, and I am half tempted to just cancel and wait for my Kia EV6 order. This is nuts.
I am thinking of buying another MY but cannot get over the fact that QC may be getting worse instead of better.
I am closer to deciding to also buy a Kia EV6. I helped a friend of mine purchase his and he absolutely loves it.
At this time, I own a 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL which has been at my dealer since Oct. 31 due to the dead 12v battery issue.
If you're not familiar with it, check the Hyundai Ioniq Forum. There are many threads concerning this issue.
I have obtained the services of a Lemon Law law firm to help with my problem.
I'm definitely leaning towards Kia rather than another Tesla (I owned a 2021 MY LR) which amazingly had no quality issues.
I purchased that in April of 2021 however - probably just got lucky. And I really don't want to have to deal with a Tesla SC
should I have a problem. Korean cars in general are just higher quality throughout, whether you buy a cheap model or a
pricier one. They seem to take pride in their work, as the work ethic at Tesla seems to be missing in action.

Reactions: zoomer0056