Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Install for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All dash cams require a power source and usually come with a cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I did buy one from China which got its power from the center top windshield unit which houses the forward facing camera/radar in my Model S. However the unit dash cam and the accompanying software did not work at all. It was basicly junk so I returned it and got my money back from Ebay.

On my new dash cam, I was wondering if anyone knew of a video showing how to hide the power cord in a Model S. My dash cam will be placed directly to the left of the forward facing camera/radar unit. So I need advice on placing and hiding the power cord to reach the cigarette lighter.

Unless someone has used the method of wiring the power cord inside the forward facing camera/radar unit. That would be preferable because the wires would only have to go a few inches.

Reactions: Minecon_CA
I bought a dash cam which plugs into a USB socket. The dash cam comes with a USB cable. This is supposed to plug into the end of an adaptor that comes with the dash cam that fits into the cigarette lighter socket. The end of the adaptor has 2 USB ports.
I won't be using the cigarette lighter socket adaptor, I will be connecting the dash cam to the 12v outlet behind the speaker cover.
USB outlets are typically 5v.
My question is what is the best adaptor to connect the 5v dash cam cable to the12v outlet?

I called the manufacturer (it's not a Blackvue) but they were clueless on what to do.

Last edited:
There is an unused wire behind the speaker mesh grille up by the mirror. Most plug into it. Plenty of YouTube videos showing this.

Don't forget this is an always-hot 12V tap, so if you plan to leave your car someplace for weeks, you will want to disconnect the 12V-->5V converter, as it will drain the battery even if the webcam is off...

Last edited:
There is an unused wire behind the speaker mesh grille up by the mirror. Most plug into it. Plenty of YouTube videos showing this.

I am in the UK and have popped open the mesh grille to find a different set up - there is an rectangular black box in the middle which appears to have a 4 pin power plug going into it. I don't see any spare power plug. Hopefully the photo makes clear what I am saying. Is there any way to rig up a power cord to feed power to a dashcam - in this case a Nextbase 522GW using the plug shown and still being able to power whatever the black box is? Thanks

IMG_7959.JPG

Reactions: rickyjb
I am in the UK and have popped open the mesh grille to find a different set up - there is an rectangular black box in the middle which appears to have a 4 pin power plug going into it. I don't see any spare power plug. Hopefully the photo makes clear what I am saying. Is there any way to rig up a power cord to feed power to a dashcam - in this case a Nextbase 522GW using the plug shown and still being able to power whatever the black box is? Thanks
How old is your car? This looks different than my 2017 (MCU1 AP2). The 4-pin connector (on the side of the black box, white cable) is probably the actual microphone module.

Last edited:
How old is your car? This looks different than my 2017 (MCU1 AP2). The 4-pin connector (on the side of the black box, white cable) is probably the actual microphone module.

Comstructed in Feb 2017 I think. Its definitely AP2 and MCU1. Yes the connectors on the sides I think are for the microphone(s). It's the (black) plug that you can just about see at the top that I was referring to!

It's the (black) plug that you can just about see at the top that I was referring to!
Ah, completely missed that. Is it connected to anything or just dangling loose? Sorry, it is at the top of the frame on your pic, so hard to see.

I assume it is the same one I connected to on mine, just that mine has been attached to the back of that mic assembly with a tape.

Find out if any pair reads +12 V DC (or more) and you should be good to go.

Is it connected to anything or just dangling loose?

Yes it is connected to the the rectangular black plastic box in the middle of the photo (with the white stickers on) that also has a white and grey wire coming out of it so it is being used for something (to power this). If this is power for whatever this black box is can I tap into somehow with a clever wiring rig so that I can continue power for the box and take a branch off for the dashcam?