Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam operational question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that about it? And where's the app to automatically stitch 60 back together? Nice desktop widget perhaps?

I am not sure if there is really any use case for stitching all the 1 minutes files into a movie. The quality is not anywhere good enough to make it a road trip video. So really you only want incident clips and 1 min is long enough for most. Worst case you need the 2nd minute of it.

To recap... The easy way to use this is just keep on record and if you want to actually save anything then use the download feature, one press per 10 files/minutes. Otherwise it continually overwrites and just ignore it until I get the X, then reformat the corrupt drive.
I think you've pretty much got it, unfortunately. It's what I've been doing. You can also be proactive, and pull the chip every week or so and delete all the corrupt files before the red X comes.

I am not sure if there is really any use case for stitching all the 1 minutes files into a movie. The quality is not anywhere good enough to make it a road trip video. So really you only want incident clips and 1 min is long enough for most. Worst case you need the 2nd minute of it.
Agreed.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Sorry if this question was asked before. What is the resolution of the Dash Cam video. With external Dash Cam so cheap, is it better to just suck one on the windshield instead?

720p

The benefits are it's free, and it currently includes footage from 3 different cameras. The downsides are no rear camera (yet), and some folks think they need 4k video for this stuff.

720p

The benefits are it's free, and it currently includes footage from 3 different cameras. The downsides are no rear camera (yet), and some folks think they need 4k video for this stuff.
I'd be happy to have the resolution, stability and dependability of an iPhone 5 video. Artifacts, drop-outs, poor contrast and brightness and even file organization are all working against TeslaCam still.