Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Camera for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> Here is a frame from the video capture. [Prime Mover]

Good angle for the camera. [But what camera is that? - Sorry, I skipped the last page.]

Rather than the GoPro, which has no remote, I decided to order a Veho vcc005 muvi HD10 off Amazon. Based solely on a review by a highway patrolman who loves everything about it. (I just love a spirited & thorough Amazon review) He clips it to his shirt & goes tumbling after fleeing perps, and this camera has yet to fail. So should be good for biking, atv, boating, or just about any activity.

So you are saying that looping is a function of the particular sd card itself?? That would simplify things a good bit. [ditto]
--

Last edited:
So you are saying that looping is a function of the particular sd card itself?? That would simplify things a good bit. [ditto]
--

No, the looping of the video is a function of the camera, not the storage card.

The camera stores video in about 4 to 5 minute Quicktime files (.MOV) that range from about 70MB to 260MB each. Put together, the files would show a continuous flow of recorded time events. I currently have 166 of these files on my 32GB card and the oldest files are automatically replaced when new recording starts. It appears that the USB socket that the Tesla techs plug into (and that I am using to power the camera) may stay active during vehicle recharge as I am seeing a lot of video time of my car sitting in the dark charging. This does not bother me, since the purpose of the camera is only to pull footage if some bad or monumental event were to have just occurred.

This thread was suppose to be about using a dash-cam in a Model S, but several people seem interested in the Roadster application, so I will show the bracket that was made (and later painted black to match the interior of the car). As you can see, rubber pieces are used to reduce vibration. One end goes into the rear window surround trim and the other end uses the camera's tripod mounting socket to secure the camera to the bracket. I still need to take some pictures of what it looks like in the Roadster.
Bracket Side View.JPG
Bracket and Camera.JPG

The camera hangs upside-down in the rear window but there is an option in the camera to invert the image that it records.

I've been using the BlackVue for a year in my Range Rover and will be switching it over to my Model S when it arrives in a couple of weeks. Great camera.

Here's the 'all you ever wanted to know about the BlackVue' thread: [Merged] The Official BlackVue DR400G-HD Owners Thread - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Blackview has some pretty bad reviews on several forums and mediocre on Amazon - especially about the reliability - let the buyer beware.
Check all the dash cam forums for great reviews and experiences.

BlackVue 500

I too am considering a Dash-Cam on my S. I've been doing some research and finding that many of the functionality comes from the software/manuals which often are hacked South Korean versions Google-translated into English and do not pass muster. One site even mentions it specifically:
"Other sellers who currently dealing with DR500GW sells Korean domesting product after hacking the Korean language product and installing DR400G season 1's firmware (V1.04).However, this can cause unstable elements such as system malfunctions, GPS error, software compatible."
Most of the questions asked previously on this thread are answered in this guys eBay post on BlackVue 500: :love:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BlackVue-Wi...383?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac1a85cbf

There is a competing product (Urive Shotgun) sold by the same guy for $110 more that gives you front and rear dual cameras, but not sure I want the cabin being recorded.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/URIVE-MD-80...200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3380125d00
Additionally, I don't see that he's posted any actual footage from the camera like he did on the first post.

Any thoughts? :confused:

I just recieved my BlackVue 500 Wifi enabled camera yesterday. I have tried it out in my current car, with much sucess. I'm impressed by the video quality and functionality, GPS, speed recording, event recording etc. Haven't yet decided if I will mount it behind the mirror or further back in the cabin (to include a view of the driver) - most likely I will mount it in front to only record in front of the car. I will be using 12V power from the connector in the area of the roof just behind the front mirror (see this post for info - thanks nickjhow for the info! Dashboard Camera Install | Forums | Tesla Motors).

The wifi function is cool - you connect with your phone via wife, run the app on the phone and the camera can stream stored video, you can change settings, and you can view a live feed from the camera (somewhat reduced frame rate I think). My next thought is what if it would be possible to stream this feed not only locally (sitting in the car) but also remotely. What I mean is that once the Wifi hotstop function of the car gets enabled (come on Tesla we're waiting!) what if the camera could connect to the cars wifi, and then you could connect to the car from your phone anywhere, or from home, and stream a live feed? That would be cool.

I found this thread DashCamTalk Forum View topic - Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD] and this one DashCamTalk Forum View topic - DR500 and WiFi connection to PC? describing how you can telnet/ftp to the camera and access the file system, and the live feed. Now if this could just be tunneled via the car's wifi --> 3G --> phone/home PC. I guess it would need some programming work and possibly a custom firmware? The big issue would probably be the car's intermediary function...

The camera is designed to be the access point. Devices connect to it and it serves out IP addresses via DHCP. It will be difficult to get it to connect to the car's wifi. There are some hacked firmware images out there, so it's possible.

Edit: it looks like in the thread you posted, the custom firmware supports client mode.

Last edited:
The camera is designed to be the access point. Devices connect to it and it serves out IP addresses via DHCP. It will be difficult to get it to connect to the car's wifi. There are some hacked firmware images out there, so it's possible.

Agreed, this is probably not going to happen anytime soon, but the day someone manages to do it I will gladly hack my camera :)

If I order the blackvue camera will the Tesla Service Center agree to install it? I have no experience with installing anything like this, but would like to have it for extra security in my car.

If you use the 12v plug in your car it's trivial. I wouldn't even call it "installing". Connecting it to the 12v source located behind the microphone mesh is also fairly easy, but if you have never done anything like it before it could be a bit intimidating. Unfortunately I highly doubt a Tesla SC will do this work for you. Find a custom radio/radar installer in your area. It would take them 20 minutes.

Question for those who have hard-wired their dashcam to the 12V system especially using the connection just behind the mirror: Do you have a drain prevention device? Do you plug/unplug the camera frequently? Have you experienced low voltage on the 12V battery due to the camera? I would think that with WiFi disabled it could sit in parking mode for weeks without draining the battery?

Mine is on 24/7. No worries about battery drain, Johan, as the 12v is supported by the big battery pack...

I leave the Wifi off as I noticed my phone would jump on and then lose TCP commo...

Mine is running really hot as well... and needs an occasional hard boot as it becomes unresponsive.

It no longer shows my speed... Need to look into that.

Mine is on 24/7. No worries about battery drain, Johan, as the 12v is supported by the big battery pack...

I leave the Wifi off as I noticed my phone would jump on and then lose TCP commo...

Mine is running really hot as well... and needs an occasional hard boot as it becomes unresponsive.

Wonder if the GPS fried ?

Thanks for the feed-back! However, while I'm sure this statement is true while driving and perhaps also charging(?) I'm not so sure it's true when parked with the car off. If it was true, how could a drained 12V render the car "dead" needing a replacment of the 12V or a jump start/charge of the 12V before you can turn the car on (even though there is plenty charge in the big battery). I believe it has been referred in the 12V problem threads that there is actually a physical connector that disconnects the big battery from the 12V with the car off, and that this connector needs power from the 12V to connect again when the car is turned on.

I leave wifi off. Speed display is a configuration setting.