Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard scratches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8898896B-3296-45F9-AADF-855C006398F0.jpeg

So I was wiping down the dashboard with a microfiber cloth and somehow managed to scratch/rub two lines. It’s hard to see in the photo but it’s pretty obvious to the eye seeing as it’s so sparse up there. Does anyone have a recommendations for getting rid of these.

That surface is so soft I’m not suprised it scratches easy, but a microfiber cloth!

• Helpful
Reactions: kaoru
I have no idea. I'm a little distraught. At this point I'd keep it to just using a duster.
It's going in to the service center tomorrow to have the windshield (scratched on delivery) and roof (cracked) replaced , so I'll ask them if there's anything that can be done.

I have no idea. I'm a little distraught. At this point I'd keep it to just using a duster.
It's going in to the service center tomorrow to have the windshield (scratched on delivery) and roof (cracked) replaced , so I'll ask them if there's anything that can be done.

@scrapps,

Let me know what they tell you. Also ask what they’d recommend you use for cleaning the dash. I would tell them you used the softest microfiber cloth and still this is what you got. Maybe the microfiber wasn’t totally clean but I’m sure you checked it. When I went to the SC afew weeks ago with a friend to take delivery of his new 3 I ‘SOFTLY’ ran my palm/hand over the flat portion/top of the dash just to feel the material and it did feel ‘softer’ than most ice dash material I’ve felt and thought then “I wonder how that would hold up to general use and cleaning”.

Ski

@scrapps,

Let me know what they tell you. Also ask what they’d recommend you use for cleaning the dash. I would tell them you used the softest microfiber cloth and still this is what you got. Maybe the microfiber wasn’t totally clean but I’m sure you checked it. When I went to the SC afew weeks ago with a friend to take delivery of his new 3 I ‘SOFTLY’ ran my palm/hand over the flat portion/top of the dash just to feel the material and it did feel ‘softer’ than most ice dash material I’ve felt and thought then “I wonder how that would hold up to general use and cleaning”.

Ski
I think I managed to remove it by using armorall or whatever it's called. Not sure if it's going to come back.

I bought an accordion sunshade on Amazon way before I got my car. After I got it, I looked at the reviews on Amazon for some reason and saw one that said it scratched up their dashboard. They included a picture and it looked bad. So, I haven't used my sunshade yet as I'm too frightened to scratch stuff up. I'm in Texas, too.

I'm a bit scared of the Armor All since I used one of the wipes at the bottom of my door (I always kick and scrape my damn car door when I get in and out) and it left a film. It eventually wiped off, though. As someone mentioned above, it would have been better if I didn't just wipe one spot and did the whole thing instead.

We all should have a meet-up where we scratch each others' cars so we can get over this madness!

So today the exact same thing happened to my Model 3. I wiped it down with a damp Microfiber cloth and it left a 8inch swipe scratch across the dash....right by the steering wheel so it can just stare at me. Honestly for the $ paid for this vehicle the interior is quite inferior compared to even cheap standard vehicles 1/4 the cost. I’m going to try the Armour All, hopefully it works. I’ll let you know.

So today the exact same thing happened to my Model 3. I wiped it down with a damp Microfiber cloth and it left a 8inch swipe scratch across the dash....right by the steering wheel so it can just stare at me. Honestly for the $ paid for this vehicle the interior is quite inferior compared to even cheap standard vehicles 1/4 the cost. I’m going to try the Armour All, hopefully it works. I’ll let you know.

How did the Armor All work? Same thing happened to me :(

Bad news...it didn't change anything... good news for me, after applying the Amorall I was able to eliminate any residual sheen with my normal routine of Optimum, No rinse.
FYI- Yesterday my husband & I went to pick-up another Tesla ( AWD Model 3, red with white interior... yeah! :)). While there, I asked a detailer about the scratches and he said there wasn't much to do except try to layer the product. However I did notice the dashboard on the new Model 3 looked a little different. There is a slight sheen to it rather than the much softer look of our version.... perhaps it will be more hardy??

View attachment 301098

So I was wiping down the dashboard with a microfiber cloth and somehow managed to scratch/rub two lines. It’s hard to see in the photo but it’s pretty obvious to the eye seeing as it’s so sparse up there. Does anyone have a recommendations for getting rid of these.

That surface is so soft I’m not suprised it scratches easy, but a microfiber cloth!

What’s your VIN? Did the dash material change since then?