Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard screen shipped with transparent film?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model 3 last week and it's been great. Haven't had any major issues, but noticed a couple of things about the center screen. When driving the car, the screen looks gorgeous in general, but when the sun is coming in at a low sharp angle from behind, there's a reflection glare that reveals some imperfections on the glass otherwise invisible:
-tons of micro-scratches inch or more long all across the surface - swirl pattern on the left side, more vertical on the right, as if someone polished rigorously with a rough cloth.
-looks like three small rice-grain sized bubbles under the surface, generally in the black border areas to the right or below.

On further inspection, I feel like there might be a thin transparent film on the glass, like the kind that sometimes comes on tablet and phone screens to protect them during shipping, but very thin? I feel like I see a slight edge on the glass, just a bit inside the bevel, and maybe it's the film that has the scratches and slight bubbles, and can be removed. Has anyone else noticed, or are my eyes deceiving me?

The reason I don't want to get a fingernail in there and try peeling myself it is that if it is a shipping film, I'd like to leave it on at least until I get a third-party screen protector - the scratches are only noticeable when the sun is at a very sharp angle. Usually once you start peeling such film even a bit, the corner usually becomes visible and too distracting to leave on.

When I first got my car, I cleaned some fingerprints from the screen and it went crazy for a few minutes after I turned off the screen cleaning function. The map was jittery and was dropping "pins" all over it. Then the phone started making random calls from my contact list. I re-booted the screen and everything was OK. Then I noticed there was a really hard to see plastic sheet (that should have been removed before delivery) still attached to the screen. I think that cleaning and drying the screen with the plastic in place must have put a little static charge on the display that was randomly causing the problems. After peeling off the sheet, no further problems. BTW-you really have to look closely at the edge of the display and work a little with your fingernail to get the sheet lifted enough to remove it. In addition, Tesla engineering says it is not a screen protector and should be removed as the problems I saw could have been caused by it.

Static causing “screen freakout” has been an issue with all Teslas. In fact, it used to do this with my S even when I cleaned other parts of the dashboard with a microfiber towel. Thus, the “Screen Cleaning Mode”. So whether using the protective plastic or not, it’s probably best to put it into that mode prior to cleaning.

Man, what would I do without this forum! Just drove my new M3 home, and was freaking out when I noticed a bunch of vertical scratches on the center of the display, and a couple tiny bubbles. After calming down and taking a billion photos, noticed that there appears to be an edge around the screen, which I guessed might be a protective film. Came here for the confirmation, as it really seems stuck on there, and didn’t want to damage anything if it wasn’t what I thought it was. Guess I’ll leave it on until I get a replacement screen protector, unless I start having phantom touch problems related to static... phew!

40DE7748-D897-49BB-AFE7-E14BA5066090.jpeg

Man, what would I do without this forum! Just drove my new M3 home, and was freaking out when I noticed a bunch of vertical scratches on the center of the display, and a couple tiny bubbles. After calming down and taking a billion photos, noticed that there appears to be an edge around the screen, which I guessed might be a protective film. Came here for the confirmation, as it really seems stuck on there, and didn’t want to damage anything if it wasn’t what I thought it was. Guess I’ll leave it on until I get a replacement screen protector, unless I start having phantom touch problems related to static... phew!

View attachment 290948

I just ordered the 5h version of this. I prefer the rigid glass protectors over the flexible plastic ones. I was hoping Zagg would make one but they only do phones and tablets.

Screen Protectors for the Tesla Model 3

• Helpful
Reactions: fseir