Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam error x every morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else get the Dashcam error x every morning?

A reboot fixes it everytime, its just a pain in the butt to have to wait an additional min or so. It then is usually fine the rest of day, however, like clock work, the next day it starts out with the gray x again.

I'm on 2019.8.5 and using a Samsung Pro 128 usb drive with 64gb set aside for the TeslaCam folder and the rest is for music.

A reboot fixes it everytime, its just a pain in the butt to have to wait an additional min or so. It then is usually fine the rest of day, however, like clock work, the next day it starts out with the gray x again.

I'm on 2019.8.5 and using a Samsung Pro 128 usb drive with 64gb set aside for the TeslaCam folder and the rest is for music.

Have you checked the folder to make sure the partition is not full? If you use sentry mode, it doesnt overwrite the files it saves. Take the drive out and delete all the videos if you dont need them, then see if that fixes it.

Have you checked the folder to make sure the partition is not full? If you use sentry mode, it doesnt overwrite the files it saves. Take the drive out and delete all the videos if you dont need them, then see if that fixes it.

Yes, i've removed the usb several times and its never close to being full. I've tried reformatting also but the same behavior persists. The reboot fix tells me its not a drive capacity issue. I'm leaning towards what japhule suggested. I have a SSD on order and hopefully this fixes it.

It's just a weird issue and part of me thinks its related to being in deep sleep. I'll try to mix up how I use the car to try and narrow down the cause in addition to the new SSD. I'll report back with my findings.

I've been using a Samsung Pro Endurance 128 microSD card (not partitioned and used solely for TeslaCam) and also on 2019.8.5 with no issues of an X. Just a point of reference. 64GB isn't huge for TelsaCam with Sentry Mode in use and maybe the buffer being overwritten for a while has a lot of bad cells now in addition to individual saved files? Just a thought. When you get the X have you totalled the combined file size of the SavedClips folders and the buffered RecentClips folders? Curious what that shows in relation to the 64GB partition.

I've been using a Samsung Pro Endurance 128 microSD card (not partitioned and used solely for TeslaCam) and also on 2019.8.5 with no issues of an X. Just a point of reference. 64GB isn't huge for TelsaCam with Sentry Mode in use and maybe the buffer being overwritten for a while has a lot of bad cells now in addition to individual saved files? Just a thought. When you get the X have you totalled the combined file size of the SavedClips folders and the buffered RecentClips folders? Curious what that shows in relation to the 64GB partition.

most of the time it has been less than 10GBs total when the x was present.
once I get the SSD(240GB), I will dedicate that solely to the Dashcam/Sentry and use the USB strictly for music. Perhaps the partitioning isn't allowing the car to read the usb stick fast enough, even though the Samsung Pro Usb stick should theoretically be fast enough.

My first change is I switched from the left usb port to the right today, if that does nothing tomorrow morning, I'll use the new SSD and usb stick process as described above. Hopefully I find a fix soon and thanks for the comment.

Reactions: SMAlset
most of the time it has been less than 10GBs total when the x was present.
once I get the SSD(240GB), I will dedicate that solely to the Dashcam/Sentry and use the USB strictly for music. Perhaps the partitioning isn't allowing the car to read the usb stick fast enough, even though the Samsung Pro Usb stick should theoretically be fast enough.

My first change is I switched from the left usb port to the right today, if that does nothing tomorrow morning, I'll use the new SSD and usb stick process as described above. Hopefully I find a fix soon and thanks for the comment.
So moving from the left to the right had no impact.
I did however get in my SSD and dedicated it solely to the dashcam/sentry and that appears to have resolved my issue. So, it really boils down to my m3 not liking the USB stick partition. BTW, the USB stick is now music only. My guess is partitioning a single drive with a buttload of music on one partition will cause headaches for anyone experiencing the same issues and probably not worth it.

Mine seems to have this problem after I use Sentry Mode. Once I do, I get the gray x indefinitely, until I reformat the drive and start over. I haven’t tried rebooting. I’ll give that a shot today. I have a 32gb USB drive.

Had my Tesla a month now,driving a lot and using dashcam and sentry mode each day....128 gb USB stick and no problems other than today I got the x.Simply deleted the files as it was full (no reformat) and all good again.

I can't get mine to work at all anymore. Even after re-formatting and trying 2-different USB sticks. I'm hoping the next software update will fix it for me. If not, I'll need to do some serious troubleshooting.