Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam: Frugal & Viable Product recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting for MX delivery and surveying on accessories.
Originally, I was planning to buy BlackVue 650 or 750 but I saw the news that Tesla will have Dashcam functionality with built in cams *someday*

So I'm trying to avoid unnecessary purchase but still need dashcam until build-in-dashcam update. What would be most viable and frugal dashcam?

I'm waiting for MX delivery and surveying on accessories.
Originally, I was planning to buy BlackVue 650 or 750 but I saw the news that Tesla will have Dashcam functionality with built in cams *someday*

So I'm trying to avoid unnecessary purchase but still need dashcam until build-in-dashcam update. What would be most viable and frugal dashcam?

BlackVue DR450. Sells for less than $120.

See my post here for image quality:

Lane and other road marking standardization for better autonomy/driver assist

BlackVue or Topfit seem to be equally popular. Quality would be good regardless of choice. If you are tinkering between BlackVue 650 or 750 - the latter has much better night video recording due to better sensor.

I would not hold my breath on dash cam functionality in the car anytime soon ;)

I got the VIOFO A119 (v2) with the GPS module for $89 because it records in 1440p instead of the 1080p most dash cams record in. I have a blackvue in my other car and have difficulty reading license plates at distances over a car distance. The form factor is different than the blackvue, but it installed nicely on the rear view mirror AP1 housing. You can purchase a polarizing filter for it to reduce windshield glare. Although it doesn't have a wifi connection, it does have a small LCD if you want quick replays. It has g-force detection recording so you can record parked hits if you wire it to constant on power. I'm happy with the video quality and clarity.

Drivers view:
20171101_152948.jpg

Side view:
20171101_152958.jpg

Under view:
20171101_153012.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Terthen
But what is the night vision like? In my experience the readability of number plates is mostly dependent on having fast shutter times and high dynamic range.

Here's an early morning shot from this morning, rainy conditions so lots of glare from wet surfaces. Reviewing the recordings, reading license plates was difficult when my cars headlights produced too much reflection on the plates and blew out the letters. Depending on how many frames you capture of the target text, you should be able to get enough information for identification.
vlcsnap-2017-11-02-10h31m47s990.png

• Helpful
Reactions: dogldogl
+1 on the Viofo A119. If you care about night more than day, get the A119S which gives up a bit of resolution for better night sensitivity.

If you're willing to hack a bit, Tesla's have power in the mirror housing to power the self dimming mirror. I just hooked into this and tucked the power supply in the camera housing. This is how the Topfit cameras connect.

I just hooked into this and tucked the power supply in the camera housing.
Is the dimming mirror power 5V? The only issue I have with the A119 is that it's run off of 5v, so you need a voltage regulator. The one I have installed from Viofo has about 4 feet of USB, then the box for the voltage regulator, which is way too big to fit in the AP camera housing. Did you find a better solution for the voltage regulator?

Is the dimming mirror power 5V? The only issue I have with the A119 is that it's run off of 5v, so you need a voltage regulator. The one I have installed from Viofo has about 4 feet of USB, then the box for the voltage regulator, which is way too big to fit in the AP camera housing. Did you find a better solution for the voltage regulator?
This one is quite small
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2DGI10

• Helpful
Reactions: dogldogl
+1 on the Viofo A119. If you care about night more than day, get the A119S which gives up a bit of resolution for better night sensitivity.

If you're willing to hack a bit, Tesla's have power in the mirror housing to power the self dimming mirror. I just hooked into this and tucked the power supply in the camera housing. This is how the Topfit cameras connect.

Can you provide more details about this? I have AP2 only so looks like Tesla’s integrated solution is not coming for me and figured it must be possible to tap into this somehow. Do you splice from the power supply to mirror, and reconnect wires back to the self dimming mirror and dash cam so it still works? Or did you just cut the wires to the mirror and not have the dimming capability? Thanks!