Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most I’ve been able to get over the past few days is 14 or 15 hours. But I park at the airport every week and am gone four or five days, so I guess I need to look at the hard wired option. I could daisy chain six together I suppose, but seems kinda funny throwing a bunch of batteries into a battery powered car. ;)

I read through some of this thread, but may have missed it. Is there a good solution to hard wire to the battery for parking mode for days at a time?
What you might consider doing is both a hardwire set up to the 12V and also one to the B-124. Throw in a toggle switch for "airport mode" to power off the 12V battery and switch back to the 124 for daily driving.

Ok, here's my two-part solution to this dashcam problem.

Version One is the "lite" model which is ready now.
Version Two is the "advanced" model, but not quite ready yet.

Version One will will allow you to program your Tesla Homelink system to automatically turn on your dashcam when you leave your home/garage ("Away" mode), and turn it off when you return ("Home" mode).

See more about Version Two at the end of this post.

See the image below for Version One. V1 only has 12v power in (from the car power and/or existing battery), and 12v (switched) power out to the dashcam and/or in-car hotspot.

In the image below, there are:
  • One 12v input
  • One remote control switch (black box)
  • One extra 12v output (unswitched)
  • Two switched 12v outputs (with option for a third)
  • Two remote controls, Homelink compatible (only one shown)
  • Two One-to-Three EL cable splitters
  • Four EL cable connectors (1 input, 3 output)

I didn't see this when you posted it back in the summer. It's a great solution. I have my dashcam hooked up to a battery and controlled by a wireless relay so I can turn it off when parked in my garage, but it requires me to press the button manually, which I sometimes forget to do, both to turn it off and on. Using a HomeLink compatible relay and letting the car send the signal automatically seems so obvious now.

I'm having trouble finding a relay and I'm just seeing bridges. Is there a specific one you'd recommend?

Didn't someone say you could put a time limit on parking mode, so that it would use a time limit shutoff? My memory isn't always great but it seems like that would also save the battery in those cases where a car sits long term. ( Even if it doesn't record the whole time )

Edit : Looking through the 900 manual, I can't see any such option - so please chime in if I'm not talking out of my ass here

Last edited:
Didn't someone say you could put a time limit on parking mode, so that it would use a time limit shutoff? My memory isn't always great but it seems like that would also save the battery in those cases where a car sits long term. ( Even if it doesn't record the whole time )

Edit : Looking through the 900 manual, I can't see any such option - so please chime in if I'm not talking out of my ass here
You can buy a relay box called the power magic pro that will let you set a shutoff either based on time or voltage level of the 12v battery

I'm having trouble finding a relay and I'm just seeing bridges. Is there a specific one you'd recommend?

It's not a 'homelink compatible relay'.. it's a set of components put together which make a unit that acts like a homelink compatible relay. If you look at my post, it's the black box. If you're interested in the kit I outline in my post above, including the relay device, 2 remote controls, and all the connector wires and splitters, PM me, I have all the parts here ready to send out.

It's not a 'homelink compatible relay'.. it's a set of components put together which make a unit that acts like a homelink compatible relay. If you look at my post, it's the black box. If you're interested in the kit I outline in my post above, including the relay device, 2 remote controls, and all the connector wires and splitters, PM me, I have all the parts here ready to send out.

Turns out that the wireless relay I used for my own set up is already compatible with the car's HomeLink transmitter (the relay works at 433 MHz). Just needed to get the car to learn it. Now I have the same toggle in the HomeLink interface without having to install any new hardware.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
One more question. Did you also have a WiFi hotspot connected? Guessing it should keep that charged as well.

i do but the external battery i have connected to it doesnt do passthrough charging and i have to turn on the battery manually after the charge stops. its complicated but the reason why i use this battery bank is because it uses LiFePo4 cells which is better for hotter environments. i hope to get a b112 battery to just power my hotspot and let me recharge like my dashcam. if you would just plug your hotspot directly to a usb port, it would work just fine

Reactions: whatthe2
I found a glitch and a solution. This morning found that the power to the 12v cigarette lighter was off while the car was on. This might have been caused by the 9amp additional draw from charging the Blackvue B-124 battery when in climate mode while car was parked. A reboot by pushing both scroll wheels reset it and all is good again. A bit of a scare!

I just wired up the B-124 to the 12v cig lighter and a DR900S in my M3. Same thing happened to me today - battery wouldn't charge from the 12V until I did a "power down" on the screen. scroll wheel reboot didn't work.

Have you had any more issues with this?

No, don’t expect any either.

just wired from the headliner for constant but still have my b124 connected. Will still exclusively use the b124 backup battery unless im parking publicly for more than 24 hours. If I am, I'll just flip the switch I setup to switch between the b124 or constant. I also hardwired the b124 directly to the wires of the 12v cig for a faster 9A charging. This will help me fully charge during my commute and keep it running 24/7 during the week

I just wired up the B-124 to the 12v cig lighter and a DR900S in my M3. Same thing happened to me today - battery wouldn't charge from the 12V until I did a "power down" on the screen. scroll wheel reboot didn't work.

Have you had any more issues with this?

I've read about this problem in a couple of places now. Are only some people having this issue or is this a general problem that happens randomly?

B-124 battery should easily last 20 hours. If you need it to last several days, can always get a couple of the extension batteries (which each have more power than the normal). They are stack-able.
No, it does not. i have the B124 battery pack connected to the cigarette lighter and have never been able to charge it no matter how much I drive. i have never seen the "charging" notification in the blackvue app and most I have seen it charge to is 2%. Blackvue cameras are on most of the time when I turn on the car and then they stay on even when I park but then turn off after about 5-10 minutes and my battery does not charge at all. All I get is battery discharging and out of order blackvue cameras that turn on whenever they want probably because B124 does not get enough juice from cigarette lighter outlet

No, it does not. i have the B124 battery pack connected to the cigarette lighter and have never been able to charge it no matter how much I drive. i have never seen the "charging" notification in the blackvue app and most I have seen it charge to is 2%. Blackvue cameras are on most of the time when I turn on the car and then they stay on even when I park but then turn off after about 5-10 minutes and my battery does not charge at all. All I get is battery discharging and out of order blackvue cameras that turn on whenever they want probably because B124 does not get enough juice from cigarette lighter outlet
That’s so odd. My B124 charges all the time to 100% (about 14 hours) when plugged in to the cigarette lighter. I park at the airport each week and turning on climate control each day keeps the battery charged. I wonder why your isn’t working?

I've read about this problem in a couple of places now. Are only some people having this issue or is this a general problem that happens randomly?
May be that is what has been happening with my Blackvue camera setup with B124 in the ciggerette lighter outlet. i have never been able to charge my battery beyond 2% mark no matter how much I drive I never get the charging msg probably because discharge is more than charge while i am driving. Also my cameras have not even been turning on for the past few days because regardless of B124 not having enough power it should still turn the cameras on when the car starts but I guess not. May be I need to reboot my car. Very disappointed of the blackvue camera system and the lack of enough guides to make it work reliably.

@flashflooder: Care to give a step by step or detailed instructions of your setup? I did find your post about what you used but i am a noob at this and want to know if I can mimick your setup to finally be able to take my car to work. I work in a trashy neighborhood and since receiving my car on Sep 29th i have not been able to take it to work due to unreliable camera system. Anyone have a better solution for Parking mode recording other than blackvue because i work 12hr shifts and will definitely need something that records those 12hrs lol?

That’s so odd. My B124 charges all the time to 100% (about 14 hours) when plugged in to the cigarette lighter. I park at the airport each week and turning on climate control each day keeps the battery charged. I wonder why your isn’t working?
I do not know. Wonder if it's a faulty bttery. Correction: I did see the app show me a charge of 29% one time but that changed the next time i drove the car the same day and dropped down to 2% again -_-

That’s so odd. My B124 charges all the time to 100% (about 14 hours) when plugged in to the cigarette lighter. I p
I do not know. Wonder if it's a faulty bttery. Correction: I did see the app show me a charge of 29% one time but that changed the next time i drove the car the same day and dropped down to 2% again -_-
I’d try a reboot. I’ve had one instance in three weeks of the cigarette lighter not providing power, so the battery went to zero and the camera wouldn’t work either. I left the car parked for an hour or so and it fired right back up. I can’t see any reason mine would work and yours wouldn’t, unless like you said faulty battery. But maybe a reset will do it. Good luck.

Reactions: umair239