Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What hotspot is everyone using and is it possible to tap into the B-124 battery to keep the hotspot powered on?

Im using a Netgear Unite 4G LTE Mobile WiFi Hotspot unlocked on Tmobile. You could just get a 12v socket splitter for the B124 to keep it charged. However, I removed the internal battery of the hotspot and using on of the TQKA LiFePO4 battery banks to power it directly

• Helpful
Reactions: dailo
I'm also using a Negear Unite LTE hotspot I got from FreedomPop for $10. I also got a $45/year (on sale at BestBuy, typically $50) Freedompop SIM card for it that comes with 1GB LTE data/mo. I just charge it with the USB port and the internal battery usually lasts enough for the next drive. Works great.

@flashflooder thanks for your pointer. I was able to run a zip tie from the hole to the end of the headliner. I tried to remove the mirror trim/housing but I just couldn't get the sucker off. It looks fine w/o going into the mirror housing so I'll keep it like this.

I'm also using a Negear Unite LTE hotspot I got from FreedomPop for $10. I also got a $45/year (on sale at BestBuy, typically $50) Freedompop SIM card for it that comes with 1GB LTE data/mo. I just charge it with the USB port and the internal battery usually lasts enough for the next drive. Works great.

@flashflooder thanks for your pointer. I was able to run a zip tie from the hole to the end of the headliner. I tried to remove the mirror trim/housing but I just couldn't get the sucker off. It looks fine w/o going into the mirror housing so I'll keep it like this.

Does the Unite work without the battery installed?

I installed an IROAD X9 yesterday, opting for hardwire over the cigarette adapter. As was described in this thread a few times and highlighted in the youtube video, I tapped into the wiring harness for the front dome light. The IROAD hardwire kit includes three wires: red (ACC), yellow (VCC), ground. I connected the ground and the yellow wires to the black and yellow wires highlighted in the video. For the red, I picked one of the two red wires in the wiring harness. The dash cam powered up and seems to be operating correctly except that parking mode is not activating. The dash cam appears to be recording all of the time as the car was driving. The instructions say this:

upload_2018-9-30_8-23-44.png

So I appear to have done something wrong. How do I fix it?

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-30_8-23-44.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-30_8-23-44.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 69
I installed an IROAD X9 yesterday, opting for hardwire over the cigarette adapter. As was described in this thread a few times and highlighted in the youtube video, I tapped into the wiring harness for the front dome light. The IROAD hardwire kit includes three wires: red (ACC), yellow (VCC), ground. I connected the ground and the yellow wires to the black and yellow wires highlighted in the video. For the red, I picked one of the two red wires in the wiring harness. The dash cam powered up and seems to be operating correctly except that parking mode is not activating. The dash cam appears to be recording all of the time as the car was driving. The instructions say this:

View attachment 339385

So I appear to have done something wrong. How do I fix it?

This dash cam needs to see aa switched 12v source (like an Accessory circuit in an ICE car) to have the camera switch to standby/park mode. Your red wire needs to be on some kind of switched circuit. Not sure what circuit in the harness for the dome lights and emergency flasher will work for you.

Reactions: Akikiki
This dash cam needs to see aa switched 12v source (like an Accessory circuit in an ICE car) to have the camera switch to standby/park mode. Your red wire needs to be on some kind of switched circuit. Not sure what circuit in the harness for the dome lights and emergency flasher will work for you.

According to Ingineerix, there is no switched source in the dome/flasher harness. If you need one up there, you have to run it up from VCLEFT or another good source.

Update on running the Blackvue DR750S-2CH from the B-124 + 2 TQKA '20000mah' packs:
Been working fantastic for the past 3 months. I've left the car parked over the weekend a few times and it still lasted to Monday in parking mode. The roughly 1.5 hours I drive per day seems to be enough to keep it recharged.
I still used my in-line switch to turn off the camera all-together when I left for a week-long vacation but then when I came back, the battery was still charged and ready to go.
For anyone not wanting to go the build-your-own route, I assume these results are very similar to using a B-124 + B-124E
(Would give total ~161Wh vs my ~169Wh)
I’ve got a 900S dual channel and a B-124. I left it on in my garage overnight and it went from 100% to 0% overnight with very few Parking recordings. Am I missing a setting to get better battery life? I’m hoping to use it at the airport for a couple days.

Ah that’s probably it. Thanks. What’s recommended to set it to? Assuming you need more than 0 for parking mode. 2 or 3?

I would switch it from motion recording to timelapse. Motion recording is way too sensitive, even at 1, and records if theres any slight movement. Timelapse will still trigger normal recording when theres an impact but lapses 30 min of recording into a 1 minute file. Saves on storage and battery

me too... knock on wood.

my installer installed a kill switch as well... so, in light of these 12v battery failures, I try to turn it off overnight when it's in the garage. I probably remember to do it 90% of the time. I'm hoping this increases the battery life.
Ya know, our friend here HankLloydright made (just for this mission) a GPS switch that you can use to turn off your Blackvue when you arrive at home. Do it one time and it remembers the location. Cool device. Hank will jump in and show us where it is in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
If your motion is set to anything but “0” (off), it basically writes continuously.
My cam is set to 2 or 3 and it doesn't save recordings continuously, but does probably save ~5 min per hour. Even if it's set to 0 though, it's still constantly recording (in case of impact) the only difference is it doesn't save those files. I'm not sure the power difference between the 2 is appreciable.
Would anyone here know if there is any (or a very significant) difference in power draw if the cam is in park mode and not saving vs saving very frequently?

EDIT/UPDATE: According to Blackvue, the only difference in power consumption when in parking mode is that the GPS receiver is turned off. For the DR900S-2CH, that saves less than 20mA (5%). I say "less than" because they list turning off GPS + Wifi as saving 20mA. so some of that is from the Wifi and some from the GPS and I don't know the split, but if they each consume roughly equivalent, it's actually only a 10mA savings in parking mode which is essentially nothing. Still consumes apx 4.32 watts with both off.

Last edited:
My cam is set to 2 or 3 and it doesn't save recordings continuously, but does probably save ~5 min per hour. Even if it's set to 0 though, it's still constantly recording (in case of impact) the only difference is it doesn't save those files. I'm not sure the power difference between the 2 is appreciable.
Would anyone here know if there is any (or a very significant) difference in power draw if the cam is in park mode and not saving vs saving very frequently?
Yeah good point, I was thinking about that this morning. I was looking at it like 20 hours of recording, but you're right, it's really always on and drawing power anyway. Guess my dream of it on for a few days at the airport is squashed.

Yeah good point, I was thinking about that this morning. I was looking at it like 20 hours of recording, but you're right, it's really always on and drawing power anyway. Guess my dream of it on for a few days at the airport is squashed.
B-124 battery should easily last 20 hours. If you need it to last several days, can always get a couple of the extension batteries (which each have more power than the normal). They are stack-able.

B-124 battery should easily last 20 hours. If you need it to last several days, can always get a couple of the extension batteries (which each have more power than the normal). They are stack-able.
Most I’ve been able to get over the past few days is 14 or 15 hours. But I park at the airport every week and am gone four or five days, so I guess I need to look at the hard wired option. I could daisy chain six together I suppose, but seems kinda funny throwing a bunch of batteries into a battery powered car. ;)

I read through some of this thread, but may have missed it. Is there a good solution to hard wire to the battery for parking mode for days at a time?

Most I’ve been able to get over the past few days is 14 or 15 hours. But I park at the airport every week and am gone four or five days, so I guess I need to look at the hard wired option. I could daisy chain six together I suppose, but seems kinda funny throwing a bunch of batteries into a battery powered car. ;)

I read through some of this thread, but may have missed it. Is there a good solution to hard wire to the battery for parking mode for days at a time?

What you could do is turn on preconditioning in your car every 8-12 hours for an hour or so to recharge the b124. I did that on a 4 day trip and managed to keep the b124 alive and recording. Started at 226mi and after almost 4 days of parking and "recharging" the battery every 8 hours for an hour, i ended up with 188 mi left on the car. Its annoying to have to set a timer every 8 hours, but for me, this is the only option outside of a hardwire or adding 3 more batteries. If you hardwire the b124 to an accessory 12v wire, it would charge faster (45 min or so)

What you could do is turn on preconditioning in your car every 8-12 hours for an hour or so to recharge the b124. I did that on a 4 day trip and managed to keep the b124 alive and recording. Started at 226mi and after almost 4 days of parking and "recharging" the battery every 8 hours for an hour, i ended up with 188 mi left on the car. Its annoying to have to set a timer every 8 hours, but for me, this is the only option outside of a hardwire or adding 3 more batteries. If you hardwire the b124 to an accessory 12v wire, it would charge faster (45 min or so)
That is a fantastic idea. Thank you!

One more question. Did you also have a WiFi hotspot connected? Guessing it should keep that charged as well.