Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that is not in the update notes it should be.
Agreed. This kind of stuff drives me a little crazy, knowing they can change anything at any time, without notice.
I just happen to have a wired remote for the amp, which has a blue light when powered, and noticed it was on when I walked out into my dark garage. Otherwise, I would've never known since the amp resides in the trunk.

They've definitely changed the behavior of the switched 12V circuit. I had an aftermarket amp turn-on lead tapped into the 12V cig adapter line and noticed my amp was staying on up to an hour after I exited the car. This behavior changed in one of the recent firmware updates.

Has anyone check both the Tesla Cam and the Black vue dash cam footage? I am seeing some file are snowy pictures on both the Tesla cam and my black vue cam recording. Not all recording just some of the recording files. I am not sure if that happen when it goes to sleep affecting both Tesla cam footage and my black vue footages. I thought my new blackvue 650 has some problem or the Micro SD card went bad. I am wondering if power cut off is affecting this. I had to keep formatting my blackvue and pulling the Tesla Dash cam usb and deleting all the old recording files.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but some very useful information here. I don't think I saw it mentioned but has anyone tried to hardwire a battery (cellink for example) to the car's battery and powered the dashcam from the cellink?

I initially planned to tap into the 12v from the cig lighter (I've already tapped into this to install a relay to turn off my ambient lights), to charge the battery but wasn't sure if hardwiring it to the actual battery would be better/ cleaner install, or if the car would still throw any errors?

Tapping into the headliner isn't an option for me as that will prevent the car from sleeping and I'd prefer not to go down this route.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but some very useful information here. I don't think I saw it mentioned but has anyone tried to hardwire a battery (cellink for example) to the car's battery and powered the dashcam from the cellink?

I initially planned to tap into the 12v from the cig lighter (I've already tapped into this to install a relay to turn off my ambient lights), to charge the battery but wasn't sure if hardwiring it to the actual battery would be better/ cleaner install, or if the car would still throw any errors?

Tapping into the headliner isn't an option for me as that will prevent the car from sleeping and I'd prefer not to go down this route.
Tapping into the headliner for power does not cause the car to stay awake all the time. It will still go to sleep, and keeps tracking the power used by the circuit in the headliner. But IIRC the voltage on the headliner drops to 9v or something like that when the car goes to sleep. That's enough for many dashcams to still work (my Blackvue has been doing it for 3 years) but may not be enough for your cellink to keep charging.

Reactions: s88ats
Thanks for your reply.

I ended up using my relay on the cig lighter to charge the cellink (avoiding any more spicing) which then powers my next base.

Any pointers in running the charging wire under the panel of the front three cameras? I've currently ran it on top temporarily but would prefer it hidden. I do have enough wire to run it on the side of the panel too, incase I need to.

I have the Blackvue900xplus 2channel hooked up to the Blackvue b-124x battery that is hooked up to the cigarette lighter. I notice the Blackvue Battery app always shows 0% charge, but if I turn the battery off/on then it shows the correct charge left. Anyone know why it doesn't show the correct Battery left? I contacted blackvue but they were not helpful, saying it was my phone and when I said it happens on multiple phones, then they said it as the App.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.31.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.31.51 AM.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 94