TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DashCam Install Tip for fellow owners

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by BigTonyTones, Nov 28, 2016.

1. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

I ordered my Tesla Model S . While waiting I have been buying all the accessories I plan on installing. I will be putting the dashcam 650s-2ch (Currently on sale @ BH for $259.99)

Iv been watching a few videos to get an idea where to draw power from. Im seeing some horrible videos online on how to wire the dash cam. I'm not a fan of the ODBII port seeing that there is an extra power line right behind the microphone plate at the top of the car (on most newer cars).
    Here is a video of how this guy wired it

I plan on doing the same thing ,but I did not like his wiring job. If you plan on wiring it to that cable, buy this for an easier cleaner install. They are POSI-TAP connectors
    Amazon.com: Posi-Tap Connectors Kit- Includes Taps for 22 through 10 Gauge Wires, Plus 2 Fuseholders!: Automotive

That is for a kit . You dont need the kit, but I like to keep them around. I believe the red POSI-TAP is what you need. I will also be using the Flat Fuseholder to put a fuse on the dash cam. That line is already fused (not sure what amperage), but JUST IN CASE I will be putting a 1 amp fuse there.