Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam/Sentry upgrading to Samsung T7 1TB. Disk Formatting and Partition recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
My model Y is manufactured in Aug 2022. Thinking of upgrading the dashcam and sentry storage to Samsung T7 SSD 1 TB.
I would like to partition the disk and keep 200 GB for songs, rest is for Dashcam/Sentry storage.

Please suggest the partition steps and folder naming conventions. TIA

Hi,
My model Y is manufactured in Aug 2022. Thinking of upgrading the dashcam and sentry storage to Samsung T7 SSD 1 TB.
I would like to partition the disk and keep 200 GB for songs, rest is for Dashcam/Sentry storage.

Please suggest the partition steps and folder naming conventions. TIA

Whats the reason you want so much storage for dashcam / sentry?

Nothing specific. Just want to upgrade from USB to SSD. Do you have any recommendations?

For an SSD? No, I use a 256 SD card, as I dont have music I want to play. I dont think having that much storage for dashcam / sentry is beneficial, since dashcam loops after an hour no matter what. It would give you more storage for sentry mode videos if you want to save those for some reason, but having 800GB of storage for dashcam is not going to extend the amount dashcam holds.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
For an SSD? No, I use a 256 SD card, as I dont have music I want to play. I dont think having that much storage for dashcam / sentry is beneficial, since dashcam loops after an hour no matter what. It would give you more storage for sentry mode videos if you want to save those for some reason, but having 800GB of storage for dashcam is not going to extend the amount dashcam holds.
Thanks for clarification. I was under assumption that Dashcam and Sentry mode videos will automatically more storage. So upgrading will retain Sentry mode videos only for longer period? Any setting to extend dashcam video holds?

I can definitely see the advantage of upgrading music storage, but how many sentry events/saved clips do you all have that the standard USB wont suffice? Just curious because mine has never filled up. I like to edit share the videos with ppl and I cant do that from the car. When I see a dummy on the road, I generally take the drive out and move any interesting videos to my computer for long term storage and wipe the USB clean.

I tend to see at least one moron a month (if not more). For instance, yesterday I saw someone make a left on red and pull out in front of me. Last month it was a guy weaving back and forth behind me contemplating passing me on the shoulder or in the oncoming traffic lane (I was doing 50 in a 40 and didnt speed up on him either)

800 GB for Sentry is excessive! Once the number of clips gets large you will not be willing to spend time reviewing them. And if there is car damage you will know it pretty quick and can review the clips. I use a 256 GB SD card and have allocated 64 GB for Senrty and 192 GB for music.

• Informative
Reactions: singleview
I heard that when you get a new Tesla to upgrade to the SSD so you have more space for the clips to store when you need it. Is this not the case? I read reviews where the Tesla drive did not save b/c there was not enough storage when they got into an accident.

I heard that when you get a new Tesla to upgrade to the SSD so you have more space for the clips to store when you need it. Is this not the case? I read reviews where the Tesla drive did not save b/c there was not enough storage when they got into an accident.

The dashcam loops 1 hour, and increasing the size of the storage doesnt change that. what it does do, however is provide more storage for saved clips (clips you specifically save, or the system saves when you honk the horn, or sentry clips).

One of our longer time members typed up a guide on dashcam / sentry mode, and I have it stickied in the model 3 subforum. You can find it here:

Reactions: Happy Hippo
The dashcam loops 1 hour, and increasing the size of the storage doesnt change that. what it does do, however is provide more storage for saved clips (clips you specifically save, or the system saves when you honk the horn, or sentry clips).

One of our longer time members typed up a guide on dashcam / sentry mode, and I have it stickied in the model 3 subforum. You can find it here:

I am going to watch it. If I don't need the Samsung SSD and can return it, that will save some money for other accessories to buy. lol