Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam USB recording no longer continuous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry - Yes

TeslaCam - Keeps just last 10 minutes unless you do a save

It keeps up to the last hour. That is how past behavior has been and I just confirmed today it is still the same. I went out for a 20 minute drive, stopped at my parents' house for 30 min then went home. I have Sentry clips from when I was parked at my parents' home, as well as during the drive an hour ago (placed in the Recents folder). Everything seems to be working as it has for the past several months. I am not noticing any difference in behavior with 2020.12.15, other than the ability to view TeslaCam video on the main screen. This is on a 2019 Raven S.

Thanks all for the responses to my post. I was not aware that the Recent folder only kept the last hour, I had thought it continuously recorded overwriting as needed. Guess it's a way to insure that there's room for Sentry video. Glad I moved my BlackVue from my previous car into this one.

is it me or does anyone else have the read light on the video not red....sort of grey/orange

Tell the truth, I've not yet worked out WHAT the icons do. There's a saucepan with a downward arrow in grey, a grey dot and a red dot. Logically the red dot should mean it's recording, but I was told it recorded every time you move and it stays grey in my car! If I touch the grey icon it sometimes goes red - does this mean it's OK to remove the USB? The documentation is lamentable.

>>“Saucepan”: save recording (last 10 minutes)

Red dot: dash cam on (recording)

Grey dot: dash cam off (not recording) <<

Thank you..
But does the saucepan mean press to save, or "is saving"?

And do you have to start recording, or does it record as soon as you start moving? It seems to do different things every time I get in!

The footage for the last real-time hour should be on the USB. If you leave it in the car for an hour before looking at it it will have been deleted, or become a nice video of your garage. If you remove the USB from the car as soon as you reach your destination you will see the last hour of dashcam footage, which you can review on your computer.

ok....but that still sucks.....I would think that the dashcam should be continuous recording while driving and save every ten minutes automatically....then you can go back and review......but on the other hand, if you are on a long trip, say for 575 miles, that would really load up the card....but if it had overwrite capability, you could be ok......I have a PureTesla USB with 256gb.....I should have enough for an hour or two...

would be nice it Tesla would give the full detailed instructions or a place to go to read about things like this....The revision page is too small
256GB should be plenty…especially when TESLADRIVE records I’m M4v format…that drive should last for 8 hrs of uninterrupted recording! I have the same drive, but my model X records a new clip every 60 seconds…I have thousands of those when I do a trip…very time consuming to view them all 😂

Reactions: r1200gs4ok