Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam Wiring - Refreshed Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I apologize if this is already discussed on another thread. I have been watching several threads related to installing a DashCam but there seems to be a lot of back and forth relative to the where to tap into the constant 12v connection. I am going to install a new Blackvue 650S 2-channel unit and need to know where I can tap into the 12v connection in a REFRESHED Model S so I can fully use the features of the camera even while parked.

Would appreciate feedback.

Thanks!

Reactions: fallen888
I'll be in the same situation in a couple of months when I get my MS.

Is there a specific plug/connector I need to connect a dash cam to the power connector in the mic grill? I'd like to order all the parts now. thanks!

Thanks. When you review the threads it is sometimes hard to keep track of what is in the microphone grill area and what it isn't based on the flavors of vehicles.

My understanding is that early MS had the connector, then between 2014-2015 or something like that, they stopped including the connector, and now the connector is back in 2016. (I'm sure I got my dates wrong). So anybody buying a MS from now on should have the connector.

You can always check. The microphone grille comes down in 2s or less (at least pre-refresh it does), look inside. Check this forum for pictures of what it looks like and pinout - only 3 pins, I just used a volt meter for my wiring but I know I've seen labeled pictures in few posts here.

If you go down this path, how are people dealing with the fact that parking mode on many cameras requires use of both constant power and ACC-only power? Or are people leaving their cameras recording all the time/manually enabling/disabling?

Also, does anyone know if the power connector in the microphone area in refreshed cars is available in AU spec cars? (Haven't received the car yet)

• Funny
Reactions: Tech_Guy
I wonder how the "route the cable to the frunk" actually works out (hard to tell from those photos). I've also had luck in the past routing cables to the rear of the car by feeding from the A pillar to the rear of a car without removing the headline itself. I'm curious whether that's also going to be true with the Model S.

If you go down this path, how are people dealing with the fact that parking mode on many cameras requires use of both constant power and ACC-only power? Or are people leaving their cameras recording all the time/manually enabling/disabling?
Blackvue doesn't require switched - it automatically switches from parking to normal mode and back, plus the event mode triggered by G sensor.

I have installed the Blackvue on a 2016 refreshed Model S, and yes, the unswitched 12V connector is in the microphone grille. You can get a 4-wire computer fan cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058DN7B8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to mate with the connector for a clean, removable install.

Thanks, I ordered the 12v connector with the Blackvue dashcam. I want to mount the cam behind the rear view mirror on my refreshed MS. But I see some horizontal slots on the black plastic housing that the dashcam would be mounted directly in front of. Does anyone know what these slots are for and if the dashcam in front of them will cause a problem?

Thanks, I ordered the 12v connector with the Blackvue dashcam. I want to mount the cam behind the rear view mirror on my refreshed MS. But I see some horizontal slots on the black plastic housing that the dashcam would be mounted directly in front of. Does anyone know what these slots are for and if the dashcam in front of them will cause a problem?

They are fins on the AutoPilot sensor heat sink. I don't know how hot they get during use, but I decided it would be best to route the wiring to the right of them. The power and rear camera wires go into the headliner just to the right of the AP camera housing on mine, and it doesn't look bad at all. I would have preferred to run the wiring down the rearview mirror housing, but I couldn't see a clear path to route them into the rearview.

I have installed the Blackvue on a 2016 refreshed Model S, and yes, the unswitched 12V connector is in the microphone grille. You can get a 4-wire computer fan cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058DN7B8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to mate with the connector for a clean, removable install.
With the mic grill install for power, are you cutting off the bulky 12V plug of the Blackview and wiring it direct or keeping it intact and stuffing all the wire behind the grill. I remember reading the blackvue had a voltage reduction through the plug and that's why it voids the warranty if it is cut off. Thx.

I should have the Blackvue and assorted connectors delivered today UPS. If I get them early I will install today and re- post my progress.
Looks to be an easy install but I have said that before and been oh so wrong :(

Nice! I'm looking at this install myself. Any chance you can post a list/links for everything you purchased along with the install steps? I know they're sort of out there already, but it would be great to have a fresh one that I know is current. Good luck with the install!