Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data reset after PTO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, a day or so after PTO on April 27, three months of “testing” data disappeared from the app. By that I mean the system was operational on Jan 27, so “lifetime” is now only the ten days or so.

I sort of smiled when I saw that - “nope, nothing happened on this system prior to PTO, not that we can see.”

Is this typical :)

So, a day or so after PTO on April 27, three months of “testing” data disappeared from the app. By that I mean the system was operational on Jan 27, so “lifetime” is now only the ten days or so.

I sort of smiled when I saw that - “nope, nothing happened on this system prior to PTO, not that we can see.”

Is this typical :)
since technically not supposed to turn on until pto. what data went away? my solaredge stayed. but had no pge until pto

I do not know if it is typical, only that it did not happen in my case. I had an install complete in 3/2020, and PTO in 7/2020. But all the data from 3/2020 on is still available and included in both the yearly and annual totals. I think this is actually an improvement as during 2020, some of the data was not being included in the totals. Is the data completely missing, even at the daily level, or are the totals just not including that data? If the latter, it could be an app bug that eventually corrects. But it may be that they are now resetting all data for everybody. I think this was more expected with solar-only systems than solar+PW since with solar-only, commissioning on Tesla's side didn't happen until PTO, while it happened at install with solar+PW.

Just checked my app .. my system installed late Nov ‘20 .. PTO Mid Feb ‘21 my app shows lifetime data still all the way back to install (including all my pre -PTO “testing”) ...despite my never having access to app until early April 😤
this is a solar and powerwalls system installed by Tesla

The only thing that changed was that I connected the black zigbee gateway box, which I had not connected before. As we have a Model 3, I already had the Tesla app so upon installation the powerwalls and solar was there from day one.

The only thing that changed was that I connected the black zigbee gateway box, which I had not connected before. As we have a Model 3, I already had the Tesla app so upon installation the powerwalls and solar was there from day one.
Zigbee black box prob nothing to do with it since your system has powerwalls / read on here it may be used by Tesla to diagnose pv issues ? ..... last month or so is only time my black box has not shown some type of red light connection error since I connected it in Nov 😝

Mine has all the data. Install 3/17/21, PTO 4/13/21 (Pacific Gas & Electric). My Tesla app shows everything back to 3/17, even data "sent" to the grid that wasn't really since it was before PTO so I wasn't actually getting credit from PG&E.

since technically not supposed to turn on until pto. what data went away? my solaredge stayed. but had no pge until pto

Not generally true. At least with PG&E you're allowed to "test" your system. The biggest problem is that if you dump any power to the grid before PTO, you not only don't get credit for it but you get charged TWICE the current rate.

Ask me how I know :)

As far as data pre PTO, all my data is still there in the app and available via the rest API directly. Prior to PTO on December 20th, I generated 2185.40 kwh from October 19th to December 19th. I also accidentally put 5.54 kwh back to the grid due to my powerwalls filling up sooner than expected and me not shutting my solar off fast enough.

If you have a TEG, the Zigbee isn't used for anything other than Tesla being able auto notify you when if it thinks your system went down. Since they already have production data from the TEG, the only thing they really get from the SE through the Zigbee is online status. They don't even get diagnostic data but everything including diagnostic data is passed on to the SE portal through the zigbee. But if you have your SE hardwired to ethernet, then the zigbee serves no purpose at all except to notify the inverter is no long communicating. Even that can be retrieved through SE's API.

Not generally true. At least with PG&E you're allowed to "test" your system. The biggest problem is that if you dump any power to the grid before PTO, you not only don't get credit for it but you get charged TWICE the current rate.

As far as data pre PTO, all my data is still there in the app and available via the rest API directly. Prior to PTO on December 20th, I generated 2185.40 kwh from October 19th to December 19th. I also accidentally put 5.54 kwh back to the grid due to my powerwalls filling up sooner than expected and me not shutting my solar off fast enough.
We actually got a credit for the pre-PTO "test" kWh we sent to PG&E. This might be because they replaced the meter a decade ago and it shows negative when you send current to the grid and decrements the total.

Yes, you can test, which is a few minutes. You cannot leave on, as PGE states, until PTO.

If it shows negative I am surprised you got charged for it. Our monthly use was decreased by the amount we produced

Not just charged but charged exactly double the rate for those hours. My green data download also shows those KWHs in RED and the charge next to each one which was exactly double the rate at those times. My total bill added up to the exact sum of the charges from the green button download data.