TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Data sharing for autopilot is NOT activated by default in autopilot

Discussion in 'Model X' started by vigge50, Oct 7, 2016.

1. vigge50

vigge50 Member

I really can't understand why but it have been reported on the Swedish forum that data sharing for fleet learning is NOT activated by default in 8.0 so everybody have to activate it if you want to help tesla improve autopilot.

Go to controls>settings>Safety and security and then activate "Data sharing"

IMG_0726.JPG IMG_0727.JPG

2. outie

outie Member

Probably a Euro thing. My US model does not have such option. There's only Mobile Access under Privacy.

3. ThomasB

ThomasB Member

Funny. Same here and I am in Canada.

4. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Hmm thats a strange find, you would think Telsa would want all the data they could get.

5. dprisoner

dprisoner Member

Maybe EU rules require an explicit opt-in (it's the sort of thing they would do) and that the data sharing is always on in the US and Canada.

6. Hendry01

Hendry01 Member

I cant find it on mine either.

7. sunnyvale

sunnyvale Member

Europe don't like word "Autopilot" and word "sharing" has different mean for them and that is just too much :)
    Just watch in next few years Tesla is going to pay them some billions for nonsense like Apple, Intel and others.

8. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

#9 S4WRXTTCS, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    My understanding is it comes from privacy rules in Europe.

In the US were all about non-consent in all forms. The government and companies can do basically what they want with you, and your data unless you opt-out. Entities (tsa, athletes, politicians, businessmen) of them can do what ever they want to with you including groping because their interests matter more than you do. In fact you should be grateful for the groping.

In Europe it's a bit different especially in Nordic countries. There is this weird sense that somehow people deserve not to be groped without consent, or spied on by corporation's and the government. It's really quite astonishing for a mere human to be afforded those rights.

Since you have these rights you have to give consent before a corporation is allowed to access data that invades your privacy. Tesla collects so much data that it can be viewed as an intrusion into your privacy. You also have to give consent for someone to grope you. Or else they have to go seek refuge in the Ecuador embassy, but I hear it's booked solid. They also have some pretty harsh internet rules so it's not a lot of fun.

Disclaimer - I do support the goal Tesla has for the data collection, but I also firmly believe in opt-in when it comes to things of that nature.

• Funny x 1