Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day Trip!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cnasty

Jun 20, 2016
Dallas
Hi fellow Texans,

My wife's birthday is coming up and we barely get much time alone with the kids so I wanted to plan a day trip for just us. Nothing over night but something we leave very early in the morning and back by evening.

We currently are in Frisco but looking for something within an hour or 2 drive in our Tesla and enjoy the day before heading back home.

We are not native Texans and recently moved here so still learning of places to visit.

Thanks for any feedback from the Tesla family!

The Horton Classic Car Museum in Nocona is about 90 miles away from Frisco, to the northwest, and it's one of the best classic car museums to be found. Even if you're not really a car buff, it's a fun place to see and the drive (up 35 through Denton to 82 west) takes you past the Denton Supercharger if you want to top off either way. Nocona is a cute, friendly town.

The Exotic Animal Sanctuary in Boyd is very fun, too. They rescue exotic felines and other animals from around the world and give them fabulous homes in carefully built habitats. Tours occur on specific schedules and children must be age 7 or older, so be sure and plan accordingly. Boyd is about 60 miles away, west of Frisco, out 114.

Finally, Sulfur Springs is a cute little town that's fun for a day trip. And it has a Supercharger, so it's doubly convenient. There's not a single thing in Sulfur Springs that stands out to me like Nocona's car museum or Boyd's animal sanctuary, but it has shops and restaurants. (Oh, and there's an outdoor glass restroom in the middle of the town square that you can see out of but nobody can see in. It's entertainingly unsettling to use.)

Last edited:
The Horton Classic Car Museum in Nocona is about 90 miles away from Frisco, to the northwest, and it's one of the best classic car museums to be found. Even if you're not really a car buff, it's a fun place to see and the drive (up 35 through Denton to 82 west) takes you past the Denton Supercharger if you want to top off either way. Nocona is a cute, friendly town.

The Exotic Animal Sanctuary in Boyd is very fun, too. They rescue exotic felines and other animals from around the world and give them fabulous homes in carefully built habitats. Tours occur on specific schedules and children must be age 7 or older, so be sure and plan accordingly. Boyd is about 60 miles away, west of Frisco, out 114.

Finally, Sulfur Springs is a cute little town that's fun for a day trip. And it has a Supercharger, so it's doubly convenient. There's not a single thing in Sulfur Springs that stands out to me like Nocona's car museum or Boyd's animal sanctuary, but it has shops and restaurants. (Oh, and there's an outdoor glass restroom in the middle of the town square that you can see out of but nobody can see in. It's entertainingly unsettling to use.)

Exactly the type of recommendations I am looking for, thanks so much!!

I will look into all of them.

Waco isn't a bad day trip. If your wife likes the HGTV show, the Magnolia Market is there. They have food trucks on site, and there are small shops, etc. in downtown Waco, too. Also, the Waco zoo is pretty good. Then of course the supercharger makes for an easy trip back.

Reactions: vrykolas
Waco isn't a bad day trip. If your wife likes the HGTV show, the Magnolia Market is there. They have food trucks on site, and there are small shops, etc. in downtown Waco, too. Also, the Waco zoo is pretty good. Then of course the supercharger makes for an easy trip back.

We've been once pre-Tesla and she loved it but didn't venture out from the Magnolia site so maybe checking other areas of Waco might be cool.

Thanks!

Good recommendations so far. Here are a couple more:
  • Check for local Texas (or South Oklahoma) festivals: (search by a radius around Frisco/Dallas and even by time-range). We like wine festivals (where we usually stay the night). But we've checked out the Bluebonnet festival in Ennis or the Peach festival in Weatherford (already missed them for 2017)
  • Granbury (and the Revolver brewery) is kinda cool. Similar to Sulphur Springs, except there's no supercharger in Granbury. But you should have enough to either supercharge a bit in Arlington on the way there or on the way back. Revolver brewery has 'open Saturdays' with music, food, tours (family friendly). Granbury also has some shops/restaurants in the main square.
  • Depending on dates, there are some fall-foliage driving tours in Texas: 7 Amazing Places to See Beautiful Fall Colors in Texas
  • "Journey" drives (not really destinations), but these are on my 'bucket list' to check out at some point: The Most Exhilarating Drives in Texas (only 1 or 2 are within the distance range you want, but they're also future ideas)
  • 25 Weekend & Day Trips around Dallas: My wife went to Jefferson for the weekend with her cousin and said it was fun (with ghost tours at night). They also have a 'mardi gras' type parade once per year.
There are a bunch more things, but that should get you started.

+1 for both Sulphur Springs and Waco. We have stopped by Sulphur Springs to supercharge on our virgin road trip in Model S and we want to come back to explore it more! Dr Pepper Museum in Waco or Czech Stop in West (on the way to Waco) are great. Also, if you stop in Waco to supercharge, Flash your tesla key fob at the Collin Street Bakery and the coffee is on the house :)

Reactions: vrykolas and Cnasty
If you are of the nature type, there are some good state parks around: Lewisville, Cleburne, Cedar Hill. BUT I think the best is Dangerfield State Park. Its actually less than an hour from Sulfur Springs and is a very nice quiet place (unlike the others which are quite busy). You can do swimming, canoe or paddle boat, fishing, hiking, etc. Dangerfield is a unique lake - small (no motor boats) and it has no majr rivers or dams into it. The park may even let you charge up at their camp sites (they got the 14-50 outlets), so you can have more juice and less quick charging on the way back. Its an additional option if you go to sulfur springs since its just a hop over.

Depending on what you enjoy the National Video Game Museum is in frisco: NVM Both my wife and I are gamers and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Other ideas is going to Dublin, TX - another cute smaller town that USED to have that divine dublin Dr pepper. Now they produce their own line of cane soda. You can do plant tours, etc.

Pottsboro/Lake Texoma is another good destination. There is another state park there, but there are many private parks/beaches. There is even a pirate ship you can visit (on certain weekends).

Reactions: Cnasty and arcus
Glen Rose is a pretty town and Fossil Rim Fossil Rim Wildlife Center – Glen Rose, Texas is fun. You can also go to Dinosaur World – Family Theme Park It is potentially on the outside edge of your car's range, so plan ahead and see if you need to charge in Arlington before you go. We also did this as a club last year.

I go back and forth to Glen Rose (via Chisolm Trail Parkway) at least 2x per month and typically return with 30-35% on a 4yo P85+ with fat sticky tires.. Not sure what you drive but it is comfortably do-able to and from my home near DFW. As Rick noted, the Arlington Supercharger could provide a quick top-up either way.

The trip is just long enough to give me time to be amazed that I'm in an all electric miracle machine.