Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daytime Running Lights (LEDs)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found out that in Range mode, DRLs don't come on!!! WTH??? I had a long day of driving a couple of days ago and turned on Range mode to play it safe and I guess I left it on so no DRL since then. Am I missing a setting somewhere to have DRLs on even with Range mode on?

Just found out that in Range mode, DRLs don't come on!!! WTH??? I had a long day of driving a couple of days ago and turned on Range mode to play it safe and I guess I left it on so no DRL since then. Am I missing a setting somewhere to have DRLs on even with Range mode on?

Well because of this discussion I checked my DRLs. They ONLY come on when the lights are in parking mode. They also appear to be on when the lights are on. I have a S 75D delivered mid July 16'.

I guess it would be nice to have them come on in AUTO mode during daylight hours but they don't. I'm just curious, could it be since these are covered by warranty that TESLA doesn't want them on all the time because that may equate to more replacements over the four year warranty timeframe?

Well because of this discussion I checked my DRLs. They ONLY come on when the lights are in parking mode. They also appear to be on when the lights are on. I have a S 75D delivered mid July 16'.

I guess it would be nice to have them come on in AUTO mode during daylight hours but they don't. I'm just curious, could it be since these are covered by warranty that TESLA doesn't want them on all the time because that may equate to more replacements over the four year warranty timeframe?
They aren't on during the day in Auto and you are NOT in Range Mode? Because they should be.

They aren't on during the day in Auto and you are NOT in Range Mode? Because they should be.

It appears that "auto" lighting is a default on the car. Because if I shut the vehicle off in "parking mode" the next day the car is in "auto" mode when I start it.. And then the DRLs are not on. And, my car is not in range mode. Never have used it. Until someone (or TESLA) gives me a better explanation of this issue, I'm going to assume TESLA does not them on all the time.

It appears that "auto" lighting is a default on the car. Because if I shut the vehicle off in "parking mode" the next day the car is in "auto" mode when I start it.. And then the DRLs are not on. And, my car is not in range mode. Never have used it. Until someone (or TESLA) gives me a better explanation of this issue, I'm going to assume TESLA does not them on all the time.
Mine are on all the time in the daytime, in Auto, as long as I'm not in Range Mode.

Anyone have a firm verdict about what goes on here?

Just picked up our 2016 p100dl and it has the refreshed look. With no autopilot my manual says that auto high beam is not available. So fine.. but no DRL option in my menu at all. So I don't have auto lights available and I don't have DRL? Not in range mode or anything either.. thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Hey all-

New to the Model S... can anyone explain how to turn on the daytime LEDs? I noticed that when set to "Auto" mode, the LEDs do not turn on...

How do you turn them on? Do I have to always set it to "Parking" lights mode?

Unfortunately Tesla didn't think this one through :( hope an update will fix it if lots of people will call tesla and request the update for it. However, in order to have the DRL lights on you have to do the following: Go to Controls - Lights ON and disable the Auto High Beam, meaning you'll have to turn them on manually. That should do it for now

Reactions: FlatSix911
Just adding an image to show the "Daytime Running Lights" option and where it's found on my car.
1651155885218.png

Reactions: FlatSix911