Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daytime Running Lights (LEDs)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like this is becoming a comedy of errors! What triggered my questioning the DRL was the fact that on my drive to work this morning, I became aware that the lights weren't on, and then I took every opportunity (at stop lights) to see if I could in fact see the DRL in the reflection of the vehicle in front - as I have been able to do with pretty much every other car I've had! Then when I parked at work, I pulled up the manual in the car to see if I was missing something - and the manual clearly shows the DRL toggle on the lights screen, but I don't have said toggle. Hence my confusion and searching the forums and seeing at least one other person having a similar experience.

Now, though, we have differing suggestions from the service centers - but I will try various approaches and see what, if anything, works! I'll have the husband stand in front and let me know if they're on - hopefully I don't run him over while testing :)

Edited to add - I had one of the guys at work test it with me. The LED halo/DRL is only on in Parking setting, even in Drive...

Last edited:
Response from Tesla Service Help:

Congratulations on your New Tesla and Thank You for being a part of the Tesla Family.

In response to your question regarding the Daytime Running Lights and when they are on the Service Center was correct in telling you that they will only be on when you are driving with the lights off or in Parking Mode. We have received this request from other Tesla Owners and have submitted this as a feature request to the Engineers. You are definitely not doing anything wrong as it is functioning as designed.

Thank You for contacting Tesla Support,

Wait so if they lights are on Auto, the DRL's aren't on? :confused:

This totally makes sense to me. The whole point of DRL's is so that you are more visible to others when driving in the daytime. With no headlights on, the DRL's make you stand out more. As soon as the headlights come on, there really is no need for DRL's.

Edit: Let me rephrase that. The quote from the SC that they are not on when the headlights are on make sense to me. Auto vs. On doesn't quite compute.

^ Now that I think about it, I presume the SC means that the DRLs are on when the main headlights are not illuminated, and he isn't referring to the headlight setting. In other words, if the main headlights are not illuminated -- whether that is because the setting is set to "Auto" and it is daytime or the setting is set to "Off" -- then the DRLs are illuminated.

Perhaps I have made this more complicated than it needs to be...

Check it out. The bottom image was from yesterday- still shows the old nose cone.

This morning, it now is updated to the refreshed nose and look.

I was just thinking yesterday that I couldn't believe they hadn't updated the interface.... And low and behold, it was updated the next morning!!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Wait so if they lights are on Auto, the DRL's aren't on? :confused:

If you have the Auto setting on, the DRL are not on. The main lights are not on because it's daylight and they're not necessary, but the DRL/LED halo are also not on. It appears that the only way to get DRL is to set the lights to Off - I tried Parking on the way to work this morning and no DRL. With Auto, what makes sense to me is if the main lights are not on, DRL should be on - and then when the main lights go on (thanks to Auto recognizing the light levels), DRL go off... Heck, my Lexus managed it!

The fact that enough owners have made a comment to Tesla Service that they've forwarded it to their feature engineers suggests that DRL with Auto setting is really a no-brainer and I hope they push an OTA update for it...

Reactions: rcsting
This totally makes sense to me. The whole point of DRL's is so that you are more visible to others when driving in the daytime. With no headlights on, the DRL's make you stand out more. As soon as the headlights come on, there really is no need for DRL's.

Edit: Let me rephrase that. The quote from the SC that they are not on when the headlights are on make sense to me. Auto vs. On doesn't quite compute.

Yes to your second point, exactly! Why DRL and Auto should be mutually exclusive is the baffling fact - Auto should run DRL when it's light enough to not require the main lights. And they really could leave the LED halo on when Auto switches on the main lights as well - I mean, LED lights don't take that much energy... just musing out loud.

I stopped in at the service center. The general manager called around to engineering and other groups. They need to look into the issue deeper.

They did confirm that the new refresh models do not have the DRL button; however they are not sure why the DRL's are not on when in Drive mode, and set to Auto; as this is what is expected.

Sounds like this is an issue for other members.

***If you are also experiencing this issue; I highly recommend submitting a problem report to your service center so that they have additional documentation of the issue. Also be sure to give them your VIN number.

The engineering group is cross referencing VIN numbers with firmware updates, etc. they said.

• Love
Reactions: gsxdsm