Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dc charger malfunction 2014 S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I have a 2014 model S 60kw and the Dc side of the charging system is no longer functional. The wall charger at home works. I went into Tesla and they said the on board charger needs replacement at a whopping 2700 dollars. Funny thing is the car was never superchargered because the previous owner didn’t buy it. I tried one day and hooked it up to a super charging station to see if I could pay per kwh and then that error popped up. It never started charging. I’ve seen a video about replacing the 2 50amp fuses but I’m not sure if that is for the Ac or the dc side? I’m a mechanic by trade so not afraid of opening up the charger. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

From what I understand is it has the ability just need to pay to unlock. I would imagine if it wasn’t capable then I wouldn’t have the error on dash. I asked if Tesla could turn off but they said it will stay on until I replace the part. A tad bit more info on the matter. This only happened after plugging in at super charging station. The car was never charged via DC. It was never charged. Just popped a fault after.

The original proper 60 cars did not come with supercharging or DC charging enabled, you had to pay for both a software unlock AND a hardware change. I’m wondering if the SC is quoting for the hardware change portion as opposed to a faulty on-board charger, which I thought only worked with AC anyway?

The original proper 60 cars did not come with supercharging or DC charging enabled, you had to pay for both a software unlock AND a hardware change. I’m wondering if the SC is quoting for the hardware change portion as opposed to a faulty on-board charger, which I thought only worked with AC anyway?
I’m reasonably certain every Model S came with all the hardware necessary to Supercharge. Whether or not you can is just flipping a bit in software.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I’ve seen a video about replacing the 2 50amp fuses but I’m not sure if that is for the Ac or the dc side?.

The DC charging uses way more than 50 amps. 150kw/400V = 375 A

The DC is provided at the same voltage as the battery, and the DC bypasses the onboard charger. If they are saying that your onboard charger needs to be replaced for DC charging to work, its probably because they bypass circuits/logic are in the same unit part as the charger.

I’m a mechanic by trade so not afraid of opening up the charger.

Exactly. Easy way to die to do expensive damage.

I replaced the a50p50-4 fuses in my onboard charger and it fixed my issues of not being able to charge. Its actually really easy. Just follow all the instructions and take all precautions and you can save thousands of dollars.

Apparently this is "somewhat" common and is related to a relatively inexpensive fuse ($10 or so) that is located in the onboard charger housing. There are youtube videos about how to change this fuse and save yourself $2690.
Yup its very inexpensive to do it yourself. I paid 20 bucks for 2 a50p50-4 fuses and bought extras just in case i need more or someone else needs them.