Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Elon: just remove navigation from your cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the two main issues I routinely have with Tesla's nav:

There's no warning (audible or visual) if traffic data indicates there's a traffic jam on my route. I'd like to know 5-10 miles ahead of time so I can get off the interstate and find another way to my destination. I think the nav will reroute in those conditions, but when I need alerts most--during my commute--I'm not watching the nav closely because I've made that drive thousands of times.

I have a side business that requires I made deliveries each weekend over multiple counties. I build/plan my routes in Google Maps in my home office. But when sharing my route from Google Maps to Tesla's nav, it only sends a single stop. So I either have to rebuild the whole route in Tesla's nav, or I just enter them one at a time as I get to each new destination (referencing the Google Maps route on my phone).

These are fairly minor gripes, but if anyone has a fix workaround let me know.

I actually think there should be a government requirement that ALL connected navigation systems for vehicles have an audible traffic jam alert notification option.

The reason for this is safety. I typically glance at the navigation occasionally to check, but not always. Knowing that things are coming to a full stop a mile or two ahead allows me to slow down. Like the other day I knew traffic was going to be stopped on a mountain road so I slowed down from 60mph to around 50mph (or a bit less) in a 55mph zone. The issue was I wasn't exactly sure where it was stopped, but I had to be ready as there are a lot of blind corners. Then a bunch of cars started to get on my butt like I was this crazy person. Sure enough traffic ahead was dead stopped. There was no drama because I knew it was going to be stopped, and no one behind me did anything stupid.

Tesla does have the re-routing for traffic, but in use I haven't found the feature to be all that great. I don't know why it doesn't work. It should do something like google does where it asks you whether you want to re-route to save X amount of time. But, don't have it as incessant as Google can be about it.

The nav is going to have to be completely re-worked for autonomous vehicles. Like when I come home from the grocery store it tries to get me to do you a u-turn. It's smart enough to know that I can't take a left out of the grocery store, but not smart enough to know taking a right gets me home in about the same amount of time through a different route. It's an entire AI project on its own, and I'm surprised that no one seems to be taking nav seriously.

Reactions: Baluchi
I don’t miss CarPlay. Don’t want to stick my phone next to an already huge screen. There is nothing wrong with wanting features like alternative route selection in the default nav app. If Tesla doesn’t want to add this features, perhaps they should make maps/nav pluggable and open it up for third parties. Waze maps would be nice!
Alternative routes would have been nice. Everything else is preference.

Reactions: leaftoy
I actually think there should be a government requirement that ALL connected navigation systems for vehicles have an audible traffic jam alert notification option.

The reason for this is safety. I typically glance at the navigation occasionally to check, but not always. Knowing that things are coming to a full stop a mile or two ahead allows me to slow down. Like the other day I knew traffic was going to be stopped on a mountain road so I slowed down from 60mph to around 50mph (or a bit less) in a 55mph zone. The issue was I wasn't exactly sure where it was stopped, but I had to be ready as there are a lot of blind corners. Then a bunch of cars started to get on my butt like I was this crazy person. Sure enough traffic ahead was dead stopped. There was no drama because I knew it was going to be stopped, and no one behind me did anything stupid.

Tesla does have the re-routing for traffic, but in use I haven't found the feature to be all that great. I don't know why it doesn't work. It should do something like google does where it asks you whether you want to re-route to save X amount of time. But, don't have it as incessant as Google can be about it.

The nav is going to have to be completely re-worked for autonomous vehicles. Like when I come home from the grocery store it tries to get me to do you a u-turn. It's smart enough to know that I can't take a left out of the grocery store, but not smart enough to know taking a right gets me home in about the same amount of time through a different route. It's an entire AI project on its own, and I'm surprised that no one seems to be taking nav seriously.
No thanks we don’t need even more government mandates!

No thanks we don’t need even more government mandates!

I think you're thinking about it the wrong way.

Instead its about establishing standards that Automakers and device manufactures can follow.

These standards need to be kept up to make driving safer, and more enjoyable.

Things like adaptive headlights which we don't have, and things like driver monitoring which we don't have either.

We do sometimes get nice things like AEB through companies working with the NHTSA, but usually it happens much later than what other countries get.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I think you're thinking about it the wrong way.

Instead its about establishing standards that Automakers and device manufactures can follow.

These standards need to be kept up to make driving safer, and more enjoyable.

Things like adaptive headlights which we don't have, and things like driver monitoring which we don't have either.

We do sometimes get nice things like AEB through companies working with the NHTSA, but usually it happens much later than what other countries get.
Adaptive headlights not being legal in the USA actually is the fault of government regulation. They were not allowed under federal standards. A recent bill have made them legal:
This Is Why Adaptive Headlights Are Now Legal In The US

So sometimes government mandates may actually get in the way.

Adaptive headlights not being legal in the USA actually is the fault of government regulation. They were not allowed under federal standards. A recent bill have made them legal:
This Is Why Adaptive Headlights Are Now Legal In The US

So sometimes government mandates may actually get in the way.
I think that's something that has to get mandated for safety reason, but the US was just too slow to update it.

Even after that bill was signed its potentially a 2 year wait before we have them.

"Don’t expect the technology to be immediately available, as the wording in the bill allows for a two-year period in which to amend the original 1967 safety standard. Regardless, adaptive headlights are coming."

Regarding the alternate route, it seems like something like that is available in China....

Navigation Route

Available only in China
Tesla Navigation Route

You can now toggle your route between side roads, main roads, ground-level roads and elevated routes for more navigation flexibility. To activate, select a route and your options will appear next to the map if available. For your safety, this feature is not available when Autopilot is engaged.